Sponsored

Best Bolt-On Air Intake for JL 3.6L?

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Injen 5005C. Love it. Only thing I would recommend doing is removing the metal grate at the end as it restricts air and causes drone in the cabin. As soon as I removed it I felt the difference between stock and CAI

F3A9EEAE-D8D5-4C90-ACF8-F7293695CB51.jpeg

609E643A-72A9-426B-A19E-84A2BA5AF630.jpeg

76E007E0-58A8-4DC2-8322-53815EB168F9.jpeg
Do you mind sharing a video also? Really curious how these CAI’s sound?

youtube has very few clips
Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Do you mind sharing a video also? Really curious how these CAI’s sound?

youtube has very few clips
If you can't tell from YouTube videos, you can't by what people post here because most people use the same type of recording equipment and know how. You need to use manual audio recording levels to start. Plus phone cameras mics aren't up to it.

The other problem with videos is people rev in one place like idiots. To get the correct sound, the engine must be under max load like when accelerating under WOT. So they put the camera in the cabin and you don't hear it or they put a dumb go pro outside and all you hear is wind noise.

Much easier to spend 300 bucks to try it out yourself.

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
If you can't tell from YouTube videos, you can't by what people post here because most people use the same type of recording equipment and know how. You need to use manual audio recording levels to start. Plus phone cameras mics aren't up to it.

The other problem with videos is people rev in one place like idiots. To get the correct sound, the engine must be under max load like when accelerating under WOT. So they put the camera in the cabin and you don't hear it or they put a dumb go pro outside and all you hear is wind noise.

Much easier to spend 300 bucks to try it out yourself.
Well explained, makes sense. Thanks!

Lithograph

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
Do you mind sharing a video of the sound of the Jeep now? I’m curious how it sounds now..thanks!
Like previously mentioned, I'm not sure I could really do it justice, as I'd be recording from within the cabin as I drive down the road full throttle. At least in my case, the sound of intake (which is significant at full throttle) would be drowned out by my Borla exhaust. The Borla fires up before the CAI does, and would likely be what the phone would pick up.

goingsolo2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Teacher
I went with the Holley Intech system. The engine noise under acceleration is a bit deeper now and I like how it looks so clean and OEM. I did not expect any hp gains...this was simply for looks and sound. I am very happy with it and fitment was spot on.

Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
anyone noticing any kind of increase in MPG? I'm looking at the Banks intake, but I don't really care about the sound. If I can get even 1/2mpg better, then I can justify it for me.

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE High Altitude
Occupation
Military
anyone noticing any kind of increase in MPG? I'm looking at the Banks intake, but I don't really care about the sound. If I can get even 1/2mpg better, then I can justify it for me.
If that’s the case then just buy it because that’s a low justification lol. I have had my Injen installed for about 6 months then took it off for a month and did not notice a difference in mpg. There are so many variables between gas quality, weather, how heavy you are in pedal and so fourth that the claims of better mpg is just marketing.

In MY opinion.... If it’s for gas mileage don’t bother , I re-installed mine because I missed the sound. Made the tiny engine sound like the engine that actually could

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
If that’s the case then just buy it because that’s a low justification lol. I have had my Injen installed for about 6 months then took it off for a month and did not notice a difference in mpg. There are so many variables between gas quality, weather, how heavy you are in pedal and so fourth that the claims of better mpg is just marketing.

In MY opinion.... If it’s for gas mileage don’t bother , I re-installed mine because I missed the sound. Made the tiny engine sound like the engine that actually could
Ah ok well darn. Thanks. Personally not big on noise, biggest reason I haven’t taken off that fiesta sized muffler off yet hah.

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler JL 4XE High Altitude
Occupation
Military
Ah ok well darn. Thanks. Personally not big on noise, biggest reason I haven’t taken off that fiesta sized muffler off yet hah.
I have the magnaflow rock crawler on my JT and that thing is dead quiet. Intake is much louder when you step on it.

wife has a magaflow dual exit axle back on her JL and it has a small drone/resonance in the cabin that she can’t hear but I do and it bothers me at times if the radio is too low or I focus on it

Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I have the magnaflow rock crawler on my JT and that thing is dead quiet. Intake is much louder when you step on it.

wife has a magaflow dual exit axle back on her JL and it has a small drone/resonance in the cabin that she can’t hear but I do and it bothers me at times if the radio is too low or I focus on it
Awesome thanks for the feedback!

LateBraking

First Name
Y'all a cult.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
S&B Intake. CARB-certified so 50 states legal, sounds like a SUV and not a Ford Fusion (when you're WOT anyways, at any other times it sounds stock), and has a sealed airbox. Not sure how many others tick all these boxes, I guess OEM Mopar maybe? I doubt I got a single iota of horsepower out of it but I got it for the pleasant engine note while being legally compliant, and not because I expected a whole lot of power out of it. None of these airboxes will give you any power, and some of them might be a better choice for those outside of CA, but I support those that support us stuck behind enemy lines.

Re-gearing, forced induction, or engine swap is the only way you'll get any real "felt" improvements to the get-up-and-go.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Not worth losing the one thing these motors can't afford to lose~low end torque. That $3-400 is much better spent elsewhere IMO.

Dynomax muffler delete is only $100 and it actually accomplishes something by getting rid of that beer keg in back, and you can hear your motor when you want to.

Some of the aftermarket intakes do look nice though :)
Sponsored