First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Executive Chef
Its time! A new battery is needed for the JL (3.6l engine).

What is everyone's votes on the best battery to upgrade to for a Jeep that if used offroad often, has some aux lighting, and runs a winch when needed.

Sub question: has anyone just removed the smaller aux battery under the fuse box. I have the ESS disabled via a Tazer JL programmer.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I went with the O'Riley best battery.

I bought the Super Start Platinum. 800 cold cranking amps. The stock battery has 600 cold cranking amps. Why O'Riley for a battery? Three year replacement warranty and O'Riley is all over the country. There is 5616 locations so if a replacement is needed, it will be zero hassles.

I used to like Optima yellow top batteries, but their quality has gone to shit. They are now over priced. Would not buy one.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I converted to the Genesis system and went with Optima because they were the only ones available. Supply chain and Covid excuses.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I converted to the Genesis system and went with Optima because they were the only ones available. Supply chain and Covid excuses.
Chris from Youtube channel Venture 4wd just replaced two Optima Yellow Tops that he said was two years old with new Optima Yellow Tops... $700 dollars in batteries that lasted two years. FUCK That. Chris also has the Genesis system. I would have found something else.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I just replaced mine last night. NAPA P/N 9894R. It's bigger than the stock battery, but pull the little piece of plastic of the bottom of the tray and it fits like a glove.. Less than $200 OTD.

Amp Hour: 80 AH
BCI Group Size: BCI No. 94R
Cold Cranking Amperage: 800 A
Cranking Amperage: 920 A
Height: 7.5 in
Length: 12.4375 in
Width: 6.875 in
Manufacturer: East Penn Mfg., Co.
Manufacturer Part Number: 9894R
Reserve Capacity: 140 min
Weight: 52 lbs

Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Costco

markw365

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Clubs

I just picked up Full Throttle group 25's and a genesis bracket. Next weekends project. When talking to my battery supplier, I was a huge northstar fan and had picked up northstars from him for years, he said once they sold the quality went to crap and he's seeing a bunch of returns. He's had good luck with the full throttles and the odsseys, however the oddy wasn't available and I found a couple group 25 full throttles. My other jeep has a group 34 northstar that is 10 years old. It's one of those spend more up front, but don't replace it ever 2-3 years. The Optima's have had known quality issues for years since they moved production. Used to be a yellow top was the way to go, but not anymore.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I just picked up Full Throttle group 25's and a genesis bracket. Next weekends project. When talking to my battery supplier, I was a huge northstar fan and had picked up northstars from him for years, he said once they sold the quality went to crap and he's seeing a bunch of returns. He's had good luck with the full throttles and the odsseys, however the oddy wasn't available and I found a couple group 25 full throttles. My other jeep has a group 34 northstar that is 10 years old. It's one of those spend more up front, but don't replace it ever 2-3 years. The Optima's have had known quality issues for years since they moved production. Used to be a yellow top was the way to go, but not anymore.
@markw365

Northstar is manufactured on the same line... at the same plant..... in the USA, as Odyssey batteries are... It's a very good offering and not as painted by your "battery supplier"

With that said your battery supplier, guy blew smoke up your arse.. He was spewing pure crapola to get you to buy what he wanted you too buy...

Yes, indeed, Optima's are not what they used to be and yes, I would avoid them....

Full Throttle is very good, that is a given..

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
@markw365

Northstar is manufactured on the same line... at the same plant..... in the USA, as Odyssey batteries are... It's a very good offering and not as painted by your "battery supplier"

With that said your battery supplier, guy blew smoke up your arse.. He was spewing pure crapola to get you to buy what he wanted you too buy...

Yes, indeed, Optima's are not what they used to be and yes, I would avoid them....

Full Throttle is very good, that is a given..
The NorthStar brand was bought by EnerSys (Odyssey's parent company) and merged into the Odyssey product line. You can't buy a new NorthStar any longer - they are all branded Odyssey now.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i went through a number of Optima Red Tops in our old J**p that lasted many years each. then tried a Yellow Top on a fluke when a distributor turned out to not have the Red Top they'd said they did when i called to verify it and offered me a Yellow Top at the same price.
the Yellow Top failed like it fell off of a cliff, in the middle of a days running around. all the Red Tops i'd used had shown signs of getting soft before failure, giving me time to replace them before they went non-functional.

not sure what i'll put in the JLU when the time comes, but there are some promising new technologies i'll be keeping my eyes on between now and then.
and hopefully someone will come up with a dual-battery system for our diesels by then!

Sponsored

OP
OP
the.jl.adventure

the.jl.adventure

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Executive Chef
i went through a number of Optima Red Tops in our old J**p that lasted many years each. then tried a Yellow Top on a fluke when a distributor turned out to not have the Red Top they'd said they did when i called to verify it and offered me a Yellow Top at the same price.
the Yellow Top failed like it fell off of a cliff, in the middle of a days running around. all the Red Tops i'd used had shown signs of getting soft before failure, giving me time to replace them before they went non-functional.

not sure what i'll put in the JLU when the time comes, but there are some promising new technologies i'll be keeping my eyes on between now and then.
and hopefully someone will come up with a dual-battery system for our diesels by then!
I ended up going with the duel battery ser up from genesis. Very excited for it to arrive and to get it all wired up. Seems like genesis will also be making one to fit the diesel too fyi.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
My YJ first Yellow Top was awesome. Accidently cooked it with my on board welder. Completely my fault. The next two Yellow tops died early. Just upgraded to Odyssey. The problem with Odyssey is availability. It's difficult to find. As mentioned earlier store brand lead acid is easily available anywhere. Avoid Optima.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Have had my Genesis dual system in for quite awhile running Full River 750’s with ZERO problems

Jeep Wrangler JL Best battery to upgrade to? 20907802-0D03-4DAE-883E-40146BB970AB

OP
OP
the.jl.adventure

the.jl.adventure

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Executive Chef
Have had my Genesis dual system in for quite awhile running Full River 750’s with ZERO problems

Jeep Wrangler JL Best battery to upgrade to? 20907802-0D03-4DAE-883E-40146BB970AB
Thats actually exactly what I ended up going with, haven't installed yet but... the whole unit looks amazing, its definitely going to be a huge upgrade. Glad to hear its been running well for you!
Sponsored