First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Lower ball joint grease ports facing outward toward the wheel instead of inward toward the axle? Whenever you have the time please take a few photos to post.
Yes facing the wheel and knuckle. I’ll be away most of the week. Hopefully I’ll remember to get the pic when I get back in town. Message me Thursday afternoon to remind me.

The shop I used contacted teraflex the day we installed the knuckles and let them know. They are supposed to be updating their instructions.
Sponsored

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
What's the advantage of Teraflex over Dynatrac? The Dynatrac's don't come close at all to the RCVs.

Can the zerks be replaced with needle type?

Dynatrac are rebuildable when they wear out. Teraflex can be adjusted as they wear out. Dynatrac cost twice as much up front. Both are good.

No need for the needle zerks in the teraflex and RCV combo. The lower ball joint just has to be orientated differently with the RCV ball than with traditional style ujoint axle. And the zerks clear the RCV ball but just barely. But they are greaseable.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
What's the advantage of Teraflex over Dynatrac? The Dynatrac's don't come close at all to the RCVs.

Can the zerks be replaced with needle type?
Half the cost and greasable. The RCV incompatibility issue is something I wasn’t aware of until it was too late. @TeraFlex is aware of it, but it’s not mentioned anywhere as of now. I put low profile needle zerks in the lower joints, but because it’s so difficult to get them in the ports I’ve only gotten 2 in. I hope there’s some way to get just a couple of mm more space to get them screwed but I haven’t discovered it yet. I may try to slot the heads of the zerks and put them in with a screwdriver.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Half the cost and greasable. The RCV incompatibility issue is something I wasn’t aware of until it was too late. @TeraFlex us aware of it, but it’s not mentioned anywhere as of now. I put low profile needle zerks in the lower joints, but because it’s so difficult to get them in the ports I’ve only gotten 2 in. I hope there’s some way to get just a couple of mm more space to get them screwed but I haven’t discovered it yet. I may try t slightly slot the head of the zerks and put them in with a screwdriver.
Is the Teraflex cheaper to rebuild?

Dynatracs are greasable too--easy peasy

Sponsored

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link

I do not believe they are rebuildable in the “C” like the dynatrac are. But they are adjustable. Theoretically they will last a lot longer because you can tighten them once they get loose from wear. They come with the tool to adjust them. I had the teraflex on my jk and put 20,000+ miles on them running 37” tires before I sold the jk. I never noticed any issues and never needed to adjust them. I know 20,000 isn’t many miles for a heavy duty ball joint. A few people in my Jeep club are running the teraflex and I haven’t heard any complaints. Not have I heard any complaints on the dynatrac. I don’t think you can go wrong with either. Just depends on how much you want to spend up front and how you want to deal with the ball joint once wear sets in. Rebuild or adjust.

The teraflex stock grease zerks do work with the RCV ball joints. It’s just a tight fit. And the lower ball joint has to be rotated 180° from how the instructions say to put them in to clear the ball vs clearing the stock ujoint.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I do not believe they are rebuildable in the “C” like the dynatrac are. But they are adjustable. Theoretically they will last a lot longer because you can tighten them once they get loose from wear. They come with the tool to adjust them. I had the teraflex on my jk and put 20,000+ miles on them running 37” tires before I sold the jk. I never noticed any issues and never needed to adjust them. I know 20,000 isn’t many miles for a heavy duty ball joint. A few people in my Jeep club are running the teraflex and I haven’t heard any complaints. Not have I heard any complaints on the dynatrac. I don’t think you can go wrong with either. Just depends on how much you want to spend up front and how you want to deal with the ball joint once wear sets in. Rebuild or adjust.

The teraflex stock grease zerks do work with the RCV ball joints. It’s just a tight fit. And the lower ball joint has to be rotated 180° from how the instructions say to put them in to clear the ball vs clearing the stock ujoint.
I bought the Dynatracs for the "rebuild in place" feature and at the time, I am not sure if the Teraflex units were out. With that said, very happy with my choice, they are easy to maintain and I have about 23K on them now and so far so good.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I bought the Dynatracs for the "rebuild in place" feature and at the time, I am not sure if the Teraflex units were out. With that said, very happy with my choice, they are easy to maintain and I have about 23K on them now and so far so good.
Dynatrac makes a great ball joint. The fact you can rebuild them installed is a plus. Especially for the “do it yourself” people. Teraflex ball joints for the jl haven’t been out very long. Less than a year I think. But I could be wrong. I was going to Go with the dynatrac but teraflex released their ball joints by the time I was ready to buy my RCV axles.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd

Teraflex aren't rebuildable. You can adjust preload as they wear out so they will last a little longer.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Dynatrac, is the gold standard..IMO.

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Dynatrac, is the gold standard..IMO.
The rebuildable aspect of them does have merit. But you still have to pull shafts and the knuckles to do that. Personally I prefer a joint that lasts longer and doesn't require full disassembly as often. Because driving out and replacing the ball joint body is nothing by the time you are in there to rebuild.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
The rebuildable aspect of them does have merit. But you still have to pull shafts and the knuckles to do that. Personally I prefer a joint that lasts longer and doesn't require full disassembly as often. Because driving out and replacing the ball joint body is nothing by the time you are in there to rebuild.
Unless things have changed since the JK version of the Dynatracs, I wouldn't expect to be rebuilding all that often. I put I think 70k on their JK joints without needing to rebuild. If I hadn't sold it, probably would've looked to rebuild between 75 and 100k, but with a Jeep and use pattern that would eat through OEM joints within 10k mi, the Dynatrac held up remarkably well for me.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Reid knuckles, RCV shafts, Teraflex ball joints. They fit together just fine if you install them 180° out from the stock instructions.

@TeraFlex it would be nice to see updated instructions for future users to save them headaches.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best ball joints out there PXL_20220810_000016775.MP