First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yep; everyone that I have seen with them have the same issue. @Roky

For clarity, the tears that I currently have are less than 1/4" long at the edge of the boot--1 on each boot. I would not want to give the impression there are large tears.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...crazy-with-the-grease-gun.78580/#post-1640928
Good grief, I’m not sure I’m down for that either. I obviously missed this post before ordering mine. Time to rethink…
Thank you.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Good grief, I’m not sure I’m down for that either. I obviously missed this post before ordering mine. Time to rethink…
Thank you.
If they could get that part under control and provided the install does not tear the boots, they would be "fantastic" from a strength viewpoint of view and "ok" from an operational viewpoint--points off for having to grease them and I would still be worried about a pointed rock ;) .

The other thing that is a major PITA (to the point I would just pay someone) is rebuilding them. I have watched a couple of videos and I think my temperament would range between 16# sledge hammer and TNT at some point!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rebuild+rcv

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, this is where I’m a little different than some…. I’m an older monkey wrench, so the grease doesn’t bother me, my rig is not a show pony, it’s more of a work horse……😁

And when I need to shine her up, like when me and the misses want go into town, then I just hit them with some Simple Green and hose em down, takes all bout 3 minutes a wheel……….but then they look funny against all the other dirt and mud down there….. 😂 ……

Jeep Wrangler JL Best ball joints out there 50C7E234-9380-4669-8957-C77493B75A58

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If they could get that part under control and provided the install does not tear the boots, they would be "fantastic" from a strength viewpoint of view and "ok" from an operational viewpoint--points off for having to grease them and I would still be worried about a pointed rock ;) .

The other thing that is a major PITA (to the point I would just pay someone) is rebuilding them. I have watched a couple of videos and I think my temperament would range between 16# sledge hammer and TNT at some point!

I have new RCVs but I haven’t installed them yet. Is it possible that you just over-greased the hell out of them? That’s a lot of excess grease. What’s outside the joint looks like it’s more than needs to be inside.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have new RCVs but I haven’t installed them yet. Is it possible that you just over-greased the hell out of them? That’s a lot of excess grease. What’s outside the joint looks like it’s more than needs to be inside.
Nope--look at Roky's and the others comments in this thread - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...crazy-with-the-grease-gun.78580/#post-1640928

They sling a LOT of grease. More at the start after you grease them, but they always sling grease no matter what and you are not able to not grease them or they will fail.

For clarity, I pump 5x in each axle every 5K. I am not pumping in so much that I would be over-greasing them.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This is mine as it sits right now, the grease on the knuckle is from tie rod boot that was torn……really not that bad IMO …….🤷‍♂️

Jeep Wrangler JL Best ball joints out there C74CFB8A-8A3E-42DC-9311-97FE8579057D

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Chocolate Thunder - the photo I originally posted was 300 miles after they were installed, so I would expect more grease at that point versus ongoing. With that said, take away about 1/2 of what you see in that photo and that is my "standard" amount of grease that is on the edge of the boot and surrounding areas on a day-to-day basis. These things hold a lot of grease in them and turning in combination with centrifugal force is the root of why there is grease everywhere.

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

🤣, same here. And to your point, definitely dirt magnets. I’m probably going to see if I can cancel my order and go another route.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Well, it's after EJS and it's time to get ready for the upgrade. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I can make the time to get them in but they're here and ready to install.

PXL_20220515_005238855.jpg
Bunch of other stuff came up and the install didn't happen until now.

The Teraflex ball joints fit fine with the Reid knuckles.

Ran into a problem with the RCV shafts though. The grease zerks rub on the RCV boot. Unfortunately I have to take it all apart and reinstall the lower ball joints 180° out from where they are. It'll be a hassle but I'll get that done in a day or two.

I didn't get a good picture of everything together but this is the ball joints and the Reid knuckles going together. You can see the lower ball joint grease zerks going towards the inner side of the axle. I need to rotate it 180°

Jeep Wrangler JL Best ball joints out there PXL_20220807_234057086

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Bunch of other stuff came up and the install didn't happen until now.

The Teraflex ball joints fit fine with the Reid knuckles.

Ran into a problem with the RCV shafts though. The grease zerks rub on the RCV boot. Unfortunately I have to take it all apart and reinstall the lower ball joints 180° out from where they are. It'll be a hassle but I'll get that done in a day or two.

I didn't get a good picture of everything together but this is the ball joints and the Reid knuckles going together. You can see the lower ball joint grease zerks going towards the inner side of the axle. I need to rotate it 180°

PXL_20220807_234057086.jpg
I don’t know if that will be any better. I have the same issue. I had the shop installing my gears put them in and he didn’t call to ask what I wanted done when he ran into the issue. My lowers are oriented like yours are in the picture. I don’t think rotating them 180 will be better. The shop just removed the zerks in the lower joints and finished the install. I got some low profile zerks but have only been able to get 2 of the 4 in so far. The issue is not being able to get close enough to start the threads with my fingers or with a tool. Once started they go in, although it’s a tiny bit of turning each time. The contact between the grease port and boot is minimal, I don’t think it’ll cause damage.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I don’t know if that will be any better. I have the same issue. I had the shop installing my gears put them in and he didn’t call to ask what I wanted done when he ran into the issue. My lowers are oriented like yours are in the picture. I don’t think rotating them 180 will be better. The shop just removed the zerks in the lower joints and finished the install. I got some low profile zerks but have only been able to get 2 of the 4 in so far. The issue is not being able to get close enough to start the threads with my fingers or with a tool. Once started they go in, although it’s a tiny bit of turning each time. The contact between the grease port and boot is minimal, I don’t think it’ll cause damage.

I have the teraflex ball joints and RCV axles. I have the ball joints turned the 180° and it’s really close to the boot but clears it. Sorry I don’t have any pictures on my phone.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have the teraflex ball joints and RCV axles. I have the ball joints turned the 180° and it’s really close to the boot but clears it. Sorry I don’t have any pictures on my phone.
Lower ball joint grease ports facing outward toward the wheel instead of inward toward the axle? Whenever you have the time please take a few photos to post.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What's the advantage of Teraflex over Dynatrac? The Dynatrac's don't come close at all to the RCVs.

Can the zerks be replaced with needle type?
Sponsored