Sponsored

Best all terrain tires for on road handling?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I gotta tell ya this may be overhyped. I recently put on 35” Baja Boss AT’s which are load range D and they are softer feeling than the stock Rubi KO2’s, which are C’s. Could just be the size and running 30 psi, but the way they soak up rough roads is noticeably better.
Yeah, I wouldn't let load range be a deal killer if they have a tire you want in a D load rating. Keep in mind these JLs have a more comfortable ride vs. previous models so a bit firmer tire isn't really too much of an issue IME.
Sponsored

Swisskidd

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
57 Corvette, 23 JL Sport Base Earl
Occupation
Automotive Restoration
Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's are freaking awesome. One of the absolute quietest AT tires you'll find with great tread life, wet road handling, and off road ability. Won't do thick mud very well though. 3PMS rated. The AT3 4s is good if you want to lean even more toward on-road.
I second that statement. Have both, XLT on wife’s JK for 35k, about half worn. The 4S’ are on my Grand Cherokee. Based on my experiences with 6 different sets, Coopers balance well and run smooth as glass; while lasting exceptionally long.

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I'm surprised how composed a stock JLR is. The suspension, tire, etc system works well.

KO2's are stock

RamMan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Dsl. / '16 Ram PW / '14 GC Dsl.
Occupation
Transport / Odd Jobs
I’m looking to improve the on road driving characteristics of my 18 JL Unlimited Rubicon. I have replaced the trac bar and installed an adjustable steering stabilizer. I also have a new steering box. All of those mods helped the on road driving, but it still wanders. I have very aggressive tread tires and am looking for an A/T tire with good to excellent on road handling to hopefully minimize the wandering. What A/T tires have you used that have good on road handling? Thanks

RamMan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transport / Odd Jobs
I’m looking to improve the on road driving characteristics of my 18 JL Unlimited Rubicon. I have replaced the trac bar and installed an adjustable steering stabilizer. I also have a new steering box. All of those mods helped the on road driving, but it still wanders. I have very aggressive tread tires and am looking for an A/T tire with good to excellent on road handling to hopefully minimize the wandering. What A/T tires have you used that have good on road handling? Thanks

Sponsored

RamMan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transport / Odd Jobs
Love my Nitto Ridge Grapplers; made in USA. Great in snow, & wet roads. Two different side wall lugs. One side aggressive, the other side not so aggressive. Quiet on hard surfaces.

Teamjlred

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lifted 2.0LTurbo Sahara JL Wrangler Unlimited
Been running Venom Power 35 Terra Hunter R/Ts. Mostly pavement, Beach & Trail Sand. Great handling tire and traction in the sugar sand when aired down. Don't notice any road noise, although it is there. These tires give you a dual option for a sidewall tread look_ 1 side has a bit more chunky aggressive tread blocks then the other if that matters to you. Bit of a softer tire compound which I like as it grips the road surface.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best all terrain tires for on road handling? Venom Power

Dragon52

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
I really like the BFG KO2s as well. I have stock 33s on my 2020 Rubi. I put 10k-12k miles on annually with a lot of highway miles getting to and from good hunting grounds. I am getting great wear, goof performance on and off road as well as great performance in Cascade mtn snow here in WA State.

Deleted member 59498

As others have said my stock KO2s are nice, quiet and good in snow which we got a little this morning.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
My Jeep came with 285/70 Wildpeak ATs. They rode and drove very well.

I've since installed 315/70 BGG K02s and they also ride and drive well.

I honestly don't notice much of a difference. The ride with the K02s is a bit better but that may be because I run the larger tires at a lower air pressure.

Sponsored

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
My Jeeps are pavement princesses. Forest service roads when camping is extreme as I get.

I ran 32 inch p-metric Duratracs on my 18” Sahara JK rims for 12 years and loved them. Great in Minnesota winters, too.
I put Pintlers on my new JL so decided to try the p-metric 33” Toyo AT3s. Have only had it since July so no winter feedback but they ride great and balanced easier than the Duratracs.

B6E80B27-3652-4E94-A3E0-251ACB9D06B6.jpeg
Hi @sdebol . My Jeeping is also limited to forest roads. I'm considering this same +25mm wheel offset and tires size on my Sahara with p-metric tires. Any regrets? Would you mind posting a pic of how much the tires poke out from the fenders?

sdebol

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sahara
Hi @sdebol . My Jeeping is also limited to forest roads. I'm considering this same +25mm wheel offset and tires size on my Sahara with p-metric tires. Any regrets? Would you mind posting a pic of how much the tires poke out from the fenders?
No regrets. For me the p-metric tires have been great. And have used them for over 12 years.

4F721B63-1EC3-4276-90CC-2EC0EC581526.jpeg

9349B7BD-B6DA-47A3-B988-25F615E6AAAE.jpeg

2drjl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl 2 door
I’m not a fan of the KO2’s in wet weather. I have a Sahara with takeoffs, and I’ve owned quite a few vehicles with many different tires. The KO2’s are fine when dry, good in mud, great in snow, but horrible on wet pavement. I’ve never seen so much slippage and fishtailing from such a light throttle. And before anyone asks; yes they have plenty of tread, yes I rotate all 5, yes they’re at the correct PSI, and yes all my casters and alignments are spot on.
I've had my rear slide in wet roads too with K02s... Twice on exit ramps... I attributed it to the extra weight from my steel bumper and winch on the front end

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
This thread has been a good read for me. Its time to replace our stock Michelin road tires at 63,XXX miles.

Based on reading from here I am leaning towards the following 2 tires . . .

1. Falken Wildpeak
2. BFG K02

Not gonna lie, our Wrangler will spend most of its life on pavement as a daily and summers we might take it mildly off road, wife's neck and back can't handle the rock crawling jars. It is currently not lifted and probably won't get lifted.

Typical Chicago area winter we should see 36 - 42 inches (historical averages) of annual snow fall although the last few years has not been half of that

Any thoughts towards these 2 tires?

NewsShooter

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Wrangler
First wrangler had KO2's, current one has wildpeaks. I'd go with the KO2's, they're quieter and last as long too.
Sponsored