Best Aftermarket Headlights for JL

Swartz2017

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Durango, 2016 Cherokee 75th
As an alternative to either going with the “rape me” pricing on existing LED sets or even worse the MOPAR sets, we decised to give the HID upgrade from Diode Dynamics a try. Figured I was buying the switchback fender lights anyway- what’s another $180 to upgrade the existing 9” lights to HID?
Let me tell you- they are amazing!!!!!

So much so that I ordered a set for the wife’s Durango as well and have been very happy with them. Only downside was they made non-LED dogs look immediately dingy and dirty! So, back to DD for upgrades on those too!

The weather here in PA has been crap, but I’ll see if I can get some pics. Just got Sig Rig back from getting the lift on so I have to adjust the headlights anyway.

Just wanted to give a different option that seems to be very worthwhile!
And so far as install- very easy on the JLU (Durango is a pain on anything up front!!).
Sponsored

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I installed the brackets over the weekend. They are from SPI on Amazon but probably the exact same as SUP Light. I had the Trucklite 7" headlights on my JK. I liked them, and the price was right this time around so I ordered them from Amazon as well. Turns out they dont seem to work well with these adapters/brackets. Since a ring/rubber gasket goes around the light to sandwich the light to bracket, the ring didn't fit the Trucklite housing. I found this out on Thursday. On Saturday I went to the Long Beach Jeep/Truck Fest and got some JW Speakers. Those worked with the brackets but the wiring to harness was for a JK. Since the brackets come with the JL harness (factory harness to an H4 connection), I had to cut the H4 adapter off and cut the JW adapter off and solder the wiring in. Works great.
What sucked is the Trucklites woulda been able to use the harness from the bracket kit, The Trucklites use a male H4 out of the light itself, which is what the bracket harness has. So each set of lights had its pro and con. All in all I am happy with the brackets. I havnt adjusted the lights yet but they need to raise up some so at least no one should be getting blinded right now.

I did some research looking at the wiring diagrams provided on this site as well as JW Speaker as one other poster did on this thread.
Here is the lighting wire colors from factory to JL if it will help anyone.

THIS IS FOR A SPORT S. NOT EQUIPPED WITH FACTORY LED LIGHTING

Driver side JL Wiring - White/Blue = Low Beam White/Green = High Beam Black = Ground
Passenger side JL Wiring - White/Beige = Low Beam White/Gray = High Beam Black = Ground
JW Speaker Wiring - Yellow = Low Beam White = High Beam Black = Ground

Troutster

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Sport S
I installed the brackets over the weekend. They are from SPI on Amazon but probably the exact same as SUP Light. I had the Trucklite 7" headlights on my JK. I liked them, and the price was right this time around so I ordered them from Amazon as well. Turns out they dont seem to work well with these adapters/brackets. Since a ring/rubber gasket goes around the light to sandwich the light to bracket, the ring didn't fit the Trucklite housing. I found this out on Thursday. On Saturday I went to the Long Beach Jeep/Truck Fest and got some JW Speakers. Those worked with the brackets but the wiring to harness was for a JK. Since the brackets come with the JL harness (factory harness to an H4 connection), I had to cut the H4 adapter off and cut the JW adapter off and solder the wiring in. Works great.
What sucked is the Trucklites woulda been able to use the harness from the bracket kit, The Trucklites use a male H4 out of the light itself, which is what the bracket harness has. So each set of lights had its pro and con. All in all I am happy with the brackets. I havnt adjusted the lights yet but they need to raise up some so at least no one should be getting blinded right now.

I did some research looking at the wiring diagrams provided on this site as well as JW Speaker as one other poster did on this thread.
Here is the lighting wire colors from factory to JL if it will help anyone.

THIS IS FOR A SPORT S. NOT EQUIPPED WITH FACTORY LED LIGHTING

Driver side JL Wiring - White/Blue = Low Beam White/Green = High Beam Black = Ground
Passenger side JL Wiring - White/Beige = Low Beam White/Gray = High Beam Black = Ground
JW Speaker Wiring - Yellow = Low Beam White = High Beam Black = Ground
Pics?

Ralph2018JL

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can people give me some options on the best aftermarket headlights for the JL? Thanks!
If you wanted to save some money until 9 inch headlights come out, Beamtech H13 bulbs work great in the original halogen housings for less than $40.

Interesting avatar photo. That is actually a photoshop I did of a 4 dr Sport taken in Feb 2018. There were very few photos and no actual 2 doors until late April/early May. I was anxious to see what one would look like.
588CAA59-916E-457C-BB02-60D382E7ECF5.jpeg

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I dont have pics of the install itself if thats what youre looking for. Here pics installed tho.
The lights arent as yellow as the pic shows but I believe they are 5000k, not 6000k. They still need to be adjusted as well..

6C180D6F-9118-4365-8237-610DB67CB4A6.jpeg

88B7D256-6424-4F17-A8F4-1256116BF235.jpeg

0CC81482-2F77-46FB-A090-FB0AB20003B8.jpeg

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
As an alternative to either going with the “rape me” pricing on existing LED sets or even worse the MOPAR sets, we decised to give the HID upgrade from Diode Dynamics a try. Figured I was buying the switchback fender lights anyway- what’s another $180 to upgrade the existing 9” lights to HID?
Let me tell you- they are amazing!!!!!

So much so that I ordered a set for the wife’s Durango as well and have been very happy with them. Only downside was they made non-LED dogs look immediately dingy and dirty! So, back to DD for upgrades on those too!

The weather here in PA has been crap, but I’ll see if I can get some pics. Just got Sig Rig back from getting the lift on so I have to adjust the headlights anyway.

Just wanted to give a different option that seems to be very worthwhile!
And so far as install- very easy on the JLU (Durango is a pain on anything up front!!).

By any chance could you show a road picture. I bought some led factory spider eye light setup like the ones from quake but I extremely hate them in bad weather! Can’t see the lines on the road in minor rain. High beams barely make a difference. And the light you suggested is an option I’m looking at!
Sponsored