JoeFromPA

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 M3
All:

Looking for some mild advice on what could have gone wrong and confirming my planned next steps. I've had my JL for over a year and never had an issue with my softtop - removing windows, retracting, folding all the way down, putting back up, latching. Never an issue.

Yesterday when I put my soft-top all the way down, it went down smoothly. But the passenger side appears to have locked in place and then gotten stuck in the locked state. The plastic sliding lock switch (pictured) slid smoothly up and down on the drivers side and not on the passenger side - it was stuck on the down/locked position. The cable going into the mechanism felt loose but I'm not sure if that's how it feels normally when it's locked.

I needed the top up due to a severe thunderstorm and I couldn't get it unlocked after 10-15 minutes, so I decided to push. BEND. So that side is done (and didn't let me get it all the way closed anyway...sigh...but better than nothing).

So here's my plan:

1. See if local jeep dealer will warranty this and has part in stock. If not either,
2. Order full mechanism and arm from Mopar or quadratec and replace it myself (looks like $125 bucks + shipping...is what it is if I can't get warranty)

I'm worried because I have no idea why the lock suddenly got stuck in place. User error? I'd assume so but even once I realized what the issue was I couldn't get it to move past the position it shows in the picture.

Any recommendations?

Thanks all,

Joe

IMG_7135.jpg

IMG_7136.jpg
Sponsored

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
ouch.

I'd have just let it get rained in, then take it to the dealer for a warranty repair. It'll dry out.

They aren't gonna warranty it now.

I believe that part is a couple hundred bucks too. Sorry man.

I'm reminded of a friend who got locked out of his car a quarter century or so ago. Instead of spending thirty bucks or whatever to call a tow company to pick/force his door open, he stomped in the sunroof (of all things) in order to get in. It cost him more than ten times as much to replace it than a roadside call would have.

OP
OP

JoeFromPA

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 M3
ouch.

I'd have just let it get rained in, then take it to the dealer for a warranty repair. It'll dry out.

I'm reminded of a friend who got locked out of his car a quarter century or so ago. Instead of spending thirty bucks or whatever to call a tow company to pick/force his door open, he stomped in the sunroof (of all things) in order to get in. It cost him more than ten times as much to replace it than a roadside call would have.
You aren't wrong, but I chose safety over immediate concern about cost. I was stuck in a thunderstorm needing to drive with 3 young kids in the back. "Oh just let it get wet" wasn't what was on my mind.

Luckily for me the part is the passenger side which is about $92 from allmoparparts - trying to see how quickly I can get it shipped to me. Not trying to force Jeep to warranty it.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You aren't wrong, but I chose safety over immediate concern about cost. I was stuck in a thunderstorm needing to drive with 3 young kids in the back. "Oh just let it get wet" wasn't what was on my mind.

Luckily for me the part is the passenger side which is about $92 from allmoparparts - trying to see how quickly I can get it shipped to me. Not trying to force Jeep to warranty it.
If actually check. They may very well warranty it if you tell them exactly what happened. And yes you are lucky it's not the driver's side, for whatever reason Jeep thinks that's worth 3 times as much.

Usually pushing down on the folded top will help to release the lock if it hangs up again.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
ouch.

Super helpful advice.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Not trying to force Jeep to warranty it.
Why not? The top didn't work as expected and you have a full warranty. Tell the dealer that you put the top up when it started raining and that's what happened to the mechanism. No more, no less. I don't know why people are so afraid to ask their dealership for warranty work. You have a warranty for a reason.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
All:

Looking for some mild advice on what could have gone wrong and confirming my planned next steps. I've had my JL for over a year and never had an issue with my softtop - removing windows, retracting, folding all the way down, putting back up, latching. Never an issue.

Yesterday when I put my soft-top all the way down, it went down smoothly. But the passenger side appears to have locked in place and then gotten stuck in the locked state. The plastic sliding lock switch (pictured) slid smoothly up and down on the drivers side and not on the passenger side - it was stuck on the down/locked position. The cable going into the mechanism felt loose but I'm not sure if that's how it feels normally when it's locked.

I needed the top up due to a severe thunderstorm and I couldn't get it unlocked after 10-15 minutes, so I decided to push. BEND. So that side is done (and didn't let me get it all the way closed anyway...sigh...but better than nothing).

So here's my plan:

1. See if local jeep dealer will warranty this and has part in stock. If not either,
2. Order full mechanism and arm from Mopar or quadratec and replace it myself (looks like $125 bucks + shipping...is what it is if I can't get warranty)

I'm worried because I have no idea why the lock suddenly got stuck in place. User error? I'd assume so but even once I realized what the issue was I couldn't get it to move past the position it shows in the picture.

Any recommendations?

Thanks all,

Joe
Since this JL forum started up a handful of others have posted here with the same issue as you. A couple tried to contact Bestop who manufacture's the OEM softop and get them to provide the repair part. Those forum member's quickly found there was really no way to make contact lets say/ to get the part going that route. Where they were successful was just to go to the dealership Service Dept. and have them document the issue and then order a replacement part under warranty. If my memory serves me right, all got the replacement part under warranty.

IF the dealership hassles you, or says no way don't argue with them..do not pay for the part... BUT right while you are at the dealership, call Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146 and talk to them... they will in turn contact the dealer right while you are on the phone with them. THEY will get the dealer on board with them documenting and getting the repair done under warranty. You can pay for the part and the repair yourself and then call Customer Service and often they will cut you a check, but this way of doing it takes a long time.

@JeepCares can also be contacted via forum messaging if you have ? regarding your issue.

elieah

First Name
Elie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
i got the same issue, and just ordered a replacement rod. Do you think it could be replaced with the soft top installed on the jeep?

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Usually pushing down on the folded top will help to release the lock if it hangs up again.
Yes this is EXACTLY it. If the top is “stuck”, pushing down helps reset the lock and will release it.

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
i got the same issue, and just ordered a replacement rod. Do you think it could be replaced with the soft top installed on the jeep?
This happened to me. Dealer refused to warranty it since it wasn't a manufacturing error. Instead of fighting with them, I ordered the part and replaced it myself. I was able to replace it with the soft top still on my Jeep.

Sponsored

The Pointer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
Yes this is EXACTLY it. If the top is “stuck”, pushing down helps reset the lock and will release it.
Is that language in the manual or is this expected to be common knowledge? Can’t find anything in the Jeep documents.

BrooksC

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2D, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow
This happened to me on my 2018 2 door craigslist soft top, so no warranty. I disassembled the lock mechanism and removed the spring. Not exactly a roadside thunderstorm fix. Back then the driver's mechanism was $350 and the passenger $150. You can still see my question on Quadratec of why the price difference. They didn't know. It's been fine without the spring, but it rattles some. Thanks to this thread I'm ordering the part now that the pricing is finally corrected. Now all I need is Spring.