JeepGA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Last fall something weird happened taking my soft top off. I got my right thumb caught between the two rods coming out of the left hinge.

Due to 5 minutes of excruciating pain, I was finally able to muster super human strength (my thumb and joint are still wonky) I was able to extricate myself.

Unfortunately, I bent one of the rods. I cannot figure out how, but I'm looking for the best way to correct the issue. Here are two pictures. The straight one is on the right hinge. The bent one is the one that needs to be straight.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bent premium soft top rod IMG_20200530_125136

Bent one

Jeep Wrangler JL Bent premium soft top rod IMG_20200530_125144

How would you guys tackle this?
Sponsored

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'd try to disconnect the rod from the mechanism before applying the kinds of forces you'd need to bend this back straight.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Unfortunately you're going to have to buy a whole new mechanism and unfortunately there left side is horrendously more expensive than the right side. That metal is garbage and you're gonna break it when you try and straighten it.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

if you have to buy a new top, you're better off buying someone's used/un-used top then a new one from Jeep. you'll save a fortune. you can also part it out and sell off any unneeded parts to others who need parts for their tops. ive seen multiple threads like this where someone damaged one part of the top and its hundreds to replace it.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Unfortunately you're going to have to buy a whole new mechanism and unfortunately there left side is horrendously more expensive than the right side. That metal is garbage and you're gonna break it when you try and straighten it.
While you’re probably right id still have to try. If it’s borked anyway might as well really bork it before spending hundreds/thousands on a replacement.

Putting a torch on it to bend it back might help prevent a fracture. You’ll need to remove any flammable materials of course and plan to repaint the area.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
if you have to buy a new top, you're better off buying someone's used/un-used top then a new one from Jeep. you'll save a fortune. you can also part it out and sell off any unneeded parts to others who need parts for their tops. ive seen multiple threads like this where someone damaged one part of the top and its hundreds to replace it.
The whole top doesn't need to be replaced, but it's $326.70 for the left mechanism from all Mopar parts ($495 list price). The real kicker is that the exact same part for the right side is only $92.69. Price gouging at it's best.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The whole to doesn't need to be replaced, but it's $326.70 for the left mechanism from all Mopar parts ($495 list price). The real kicker is that the exact same part for the right side is only $92.69. Price gouging at it's best.
Does the mechanism come with the rod? Doesn’t it connect the left and right sides? Ill have to stick my head up there later and look.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
While you’re probably right id still have to try. If it’s borked anyway might as well really bork it before spending hundreds/thousands on a replacement.

Putting a torch on it to bend it back might help prevent a fracture. You’ll need to remove any flammable materials of course and plan to repaint the area.
Yeah of course. Mine were bent way worse than that but you'd be amazed how brittle they are. I also don't think you can get that part sperated from the mechanism without breaking something.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Does the mechanism come with the rod? Doesn’t it connect the left and right sides? Ill have to stick my head up there later and look.
They do come complete with the rod. The rod screws into one of the bows with 2 bolts.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Maybe heat it a bit first. Then I would remove it and use a 1/2" conduit bender on it. It looks like their may be just enough room to kick it back. Face the front of the bender toward the knuckle. Go slow and don't over bend the other direction.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepGA

JeepGA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone. I may give it a go first, if I can get the rod off the hinge. There's an additional clasp if some kind once intake the screw out and I'm not sure how to approach it

Jean1982

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara 2018
Thanks everyone. I may give it a go first, if I can get the rod off the hinge. There's an additional clasp if some kind once intake the screw out and I'm not sure how to approach it
Did you get the chance to take that rod off the hinge ?

My gf has clearly miscalculated the garage door clearance with the soft top half opened, and of course, completely bented the same 2 rods as you...

It seems you can now get the 2 rods individually from Qudratec or even Mopar, without buying the overpriced hinges, https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/5th-bow-folding-arm-wrangler-jl-unlimited/driver-side
but I have yet to find someone who took the rod off the hinge, as it seems a bit more complicated that just unbolting it.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Did you get the chance to take that rod off the hinge ?

My gf has clearly miscalculated the garage door clearance with the soft top half opened, and of course, completely bented the same 2 rods as you...

It seems you can now get the 2 rods individually from Qudratec or even Mopar, without buying the overpriced hinges, https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/5th-bow-folding-arm-wrangler-jl-unlimited/driver-side
but I have yet to find someone who took the rod off the hinge, as it seems a bit more complicated that just unbolting it.
Those are not the correct rods. Those come off easy. You have to buy the whole hinge assembly to get the rods that you bent. Ask me how I know.

Jean1982

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara 2018
Those are not the correct rods. Those come off easy. You have to buy the whole hinge assembly to get the rods that you bent. Ask me how I know.
I'm a bit confused now. I'm pretty sure those were the correct rods.

From what I see you can get the hinge + 5th arm
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/s...6th-bow-arm-wrangler-jl-unlimited/driver-side

Just the 5th arms (which are bent and need replacing)
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/5th-bow-folding-arm-wrangler-jl-unlimited/driver-side

Or just the top lift arm, that are also attached to the hinge but never really an issue.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/lift-arm-wrangler-jl-unlimited/driver-side

My question was more like, in the eventuality of being able to find those rods, is it even possible to unbolt them from the hinge to begin with ? I've seen quite a few post here of people unable to do so...
Jeep Wrangler JL Bent premium soft top rod IMG_20200530_125144

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm a bit confused now. I'm pretty sure those were the correct rods.

From what I see you can get the hinge + 5th arm
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/s...6th-bow-arm-wrangler-jl-unlimited/driver-side

Just the 5th arms (which are bent and need replacing)
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/5th-bow-folding-arm-wrangler-jl-unlimited/driver-side

Or just the top lift arm, that are also attached to the hinge but never really an issue.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/lift-arm-wrangler-jl-unlimited/driver-side

My question was more like, in the eventuality of being able to find those rods, is it even possible to unbolt them from the hinge to begin with ? I've seen quite a few post here of people unable to do so...
IMG_20200530_125136.jpg
Interesting. You may be right. Those arms weren't available by themselves before. I'm not sure if you can get them off. I never tried since I bought the whole hinge/5th arm assemblies.
Sponsored