Benefit of aftermarket wheel for 35s

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Other than the looks, what are the benefits of using an aftermarket wheel over the stock wheels which are 7.5" wide? I had 315 70 17 duratracs on my 14 jkur with 1.5" wheelspacers and it seemed to work fine. I'd air down to 18-20 lbs when offroading and never had a problem. I'm sure you could air down further with less chance of popping a bead with wider wheels, but other than that, any benefit at all? Would it make the on road feel a little smoother with wider wheels as I'd probably like that!

I actually like the stock Rubicon wheels and don't want to spend the money if I don't have to. I also don't want to spend the money on spacers this time.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Wider wheel which can allow for better bead when airing down, different backspacing options that eliminate the need for spacers. Not sure if it would help ride quality or not, usually that has more to do with tire and pressure

OP
OP
smuddy

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Some on here have 35s on stock wheels with no spacers. So, maybe the spacers aren’t necessary on a JL?

mandrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
For a street jeep, you wil enjoy having wider wheels. But if you plan to go off-road and air down, you will be better off with stock or narrower rims.

OP
OP
smuddy

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
For a street jeep, you wil enjoy having wider wheels. But if you plan to go off-road and air down, you will be better off with stock or narrower rims.
Reasons? Also, I've always heard the narrower rims were more likely to pop a bead than a wider rim when airing down.
Sponsored