Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Ben Anton has reviewed the SmartStopStart on his channel in this YouTube video:

It includes a nice walk-through of installation and operation.
Sponsored

DURSO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Ben Anton has reviewed the SmartStopStart on his channel in this YouTube video:

It includes a nice walk-through of installation and operation.

Great video and great product. Have one for my Mercedes as well. Works great.

Do you suggest leaving this installed when you take the Jeep in for service to the dealer?. Will they notice it if you enable the ESS before you drop it off? I would like to not have to remove it every time I take it in to the dealer for service.

OP
OP
SmartStopStart.com

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Great video and great product. Have one for my Mercedes as well. Works great.

Do you suggest leaving this installed when you take the Jeep in for service to the dealer?. Will they notice it if you enable the ESS before you drop it off? I would like to not have to remove it every time I take it in to the dealer for service.
Chances are it will not be noticed if you re-enable ESS. It also is not detectable from the diagnostic computer. And the Federal Magnussen-Moss act provides some warranty protection when adding aftermarket equipment.

Nevertheless, to play it as safe as possible regarding your warranty, I have to advise to remove it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@DURSO

It is not prudent to leave any programmer connected to your JL when the JL is at the dealership service department.

Reality is, it is a 5 min+- process to install or remove this particular programmer.

OP
OP
SmartStopStart.com

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@DURSO

It is not prudent to leave any programmer connected to your JL when the JL is at the dealership service department.

Reality is, it is a 5 min+- process to install or remove this particular programmer.
Rhinebeck01, I fully agree with your advice.

I just want to make a point of clarification of SmartStopStart (which technically is not a programmer) vs. currently available JL Programmers. SmartStopStart does not disconnect the security gateway (SGW) like JL Programmers do, so it would be much less likely to be casually noticed by the tech since it will not inhibit the dealer's Diagnostic Computer or change any factory programming.

It certainly can still be visually noticed under the dash, or its change if behavior of ESS override recall can be noticed, so I certainly do still recommend removing it prior to visiting the dealer. Though less likely to to be routinely noticed, I still would not take that chance.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@SmartStopStart.com

I hear you... to me though ....... this is still is a device that automatically controls the operation of something in accordance with a prescribed program... Is it not? If so, it is by definition a Programmer..

I do realize it is not the same animal lets say, as other vendors are offering here.

Regardless, not something you want to leave hooked up to a vehicle when you take your JL to the service department. 8-)
Sponsored