Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Ben Anton has reviewed the SmartStopStart on his channel in this YouTube video:

It includes a nice walk-through of installation and operation.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Is that connector that you are intercepting just the other end of the wires that go to the back of the ESS switch and LED? If you are monitoring the LED status as an indicator of whether the ESS is enabled, it looks like you came up with a similar solution to what I designed while waiting on my JL to be delivered, except I was going interrupt the circuit near the back of the ESS switch instead.

https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959/vehicles/wrangler-jl-electronic-start-stop

Locating it there makes your system a bit quicker to install.

I was planning on interrupting the wiring and running it to a control module in the glove box area with some small toggle switches hidden in there to control it.

Nice job though... Good design for those car owners who are not that electrically inclined.

OP
OP
SmartStopStart.com

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Is that connector that you are intercepting just the other end of the wires that go to the back of the ESS switch and LED? If you are monitoring the LED status as an indicator of whether the ESS is enabled, it looks like you came up with a similar solution to what I designed while waiting on my JL to be delivered, except I was going interrupt the circuit near the back of the ESS switch instead.

https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959/vehicles/wrangler-jl-electronic-start-stop

Locating it there makes your system a bit quicker to install.

I was planning on interrupting the wiring and running it to a control module in the glove box area with some small toggle switches hidden in there to control it.

Nice job though... Good design for those car owners who are not that electrically inclined.
Our design communicates with the vehicle's computers over the CAN bus.

Your method is clever and should work, but the ESS switch is I believe unfortunately soldered on a circuit board internal to the 'Integrated center switch bank module', so it would be difficult to implement without removing the module and doing internal surgery...something most owners probably would not care to do.

The CAN bus solution SmartStopStart has is very reliable and based on a design which we have shipped thousands of on various FCA platforms.

Last edited:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Our design communicates with the vehicle's computers over the CAN bus.

Your method is clever and should work, but the ESS switch is I believe unfortunately soldered on a circuit board internal to the 'Integrated center switch bank module', so it would be difficult to implement without removing the module and doing internal surgery...something most owners probably would not care to do.

The CAN bus solution we have is very reliable and based on a design which we have shipped thousands of on various FCA platforms.
I didn't bother to look for a CANBUS solution since a quick web search didn't come up with any public domain documentation on the protocol. I did find a video of someone changing out a radio on the JL and that allowed me to see the back of the switches and it *looked* like it had the right number of wires for just simple hookups to the ESS switch and the LED, so I assumed that the vehicle's computer was handling that and just taking the input from the switch and setting the LED itself instead of having another microcontroller in the switch assembly that handles it. Having another microcontroller handling that just seemed like too convoluted of a way to handle the issue, but I guess I shouldn't underestimate the potential of the kiddie engineers these days to take a simple requirement and make an overly complex solution for it. :(

As it turns out though, with the manual transmission, the ESS only affects me when I'm in neutral, stopped, and let off on the clutch -- which I only do when I'm at a long stop light, so it's not that big of a deal for me. The engine restarts as soon as I press the clutch and even before I can get it into gear. If I was unfortunate enough to have an automatic transmission, I suspect that I would be a lot more irritated with the ESS system.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Steve,

I had contacted you early on about your start/stop for the JL and it was in development and I was excited to hear it would be released soon but the Tazer JL was a better fit for me as I went to larger tires and there are other things it does I needed but for those looking to just turn off ESS this looks to be the thing to get.

OP
OP
SmartStopStart.com

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sure, the Tazer is a good deal if you need some of the additional the functions it offers. If you do not, and ESS is your main issue, then SmartStopStart is considerably more economical.

It is worth noting that SmartStopStart also lets you easily turn ESS back on at the touch of a button, for those people that might find certain traffic situations where ESS makes sense for them.

Unlike programmers like Tazer and Flashcal, SmartStopStart also does not disconnect the Security Gateway Module (SGW) and therefore retains the SGW protection. The SGW also protects against over-the-air vehicle attacks through Uconnect. Although this is not a big problem today, in the future this could become a bigger issue from those with bad intentions.
Sponsored

Last edited: