Belly skid 3.6L exhaust coverage

hockeynut258

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
About to purchase skids for my ‘21 JLUR with 3.6L V6 and like how MetalCloak and Rock Hard build their skids to cover the exhaust cross over pipe under the transmission while Next Venture and Artec leave portions of the exhaust exposed.

What’s your opinion on the importance of the amount of protection for the cross over pipe? Is the weight savings of NV or Artec worth the lack of coverage?

I haven’t hit or rubbed the exhaust yet. mainly dragging over the transfer case, rear cross member and fuel tank skid.
Jeep Wrangler JL Belly skid 3.6L exhaust coverage 5916DDB8-FE3F-4EA0-9E86-DC12610D0D62
Jeep Wrangler JL Belly skid 3.6L exhaust coverage B3F009E4-BBCB-4CD7-8E3C-C14C340E78D7
Sponsored

Thdoors

First Name
Dabber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 2021 JLU Sport 2LT 2015 Sport 3.6L
Occupation
Retired homicide detective
Love my MC skids!

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
For me it would be more about what effect the skid plates would have on transmission and transfer case heat increase.

If you enclose it all, just remember the exhaust pipe is already close to the transmission. Boxing it all up should most certainly have an effect on heat buildup and could limit transmission oil life.

Pliskin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I don't think MC, NV, and Artec released the skid plates system for 21' JLUR with 3.6 etorque. last time when I checked with MC and Artec was 1 month ago, they both cant provide a date when its gonna available. so I ended up ordered RH steel plate, pricy and will takes 7 weeks to ship.

OP
OP
hockeynut258

hockeynut258

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I don't think MC, NV, and Artec released the skid plates system for 21' JLUR with 3.6 etorque. last time when I checked with MC and Artec was 1 month ago, they both cant provide a date when its gonna available. so I ended up ordered RH steel plate, pricy and will takes 7 weeks to ship.
MC, NV and RH have 21 3.6 skids available last i checked.

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'd be less concerned about the exhaust, and more so about the exposed transmission cooler lines. If you hit a rock and dent an exhaust pipe, that's no biggie. Even if you tear one, it's just going to make some noise, but you'll get off the trail. Have a branch, root, or other debris on the trail rip one of the transmission cooler lines out and you stop right where you are. If you don't notice it right away, you could empty the trans of fluid and cause all sorts of damage.
Jeep Wrangler JL Belly skid 3.6L exhaust coverage trnsln
Sponsored