Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Has anyone have any luck with a good belly pans for diesel setup and a 3.5 lift? Been lurking for months for which one is the best and works without any welding or mods to the jeep.
Sponsored

JLURD_CO

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Diesel
I have the aluminum version and it works great. I chose RockHard over Metalcloak for the DEF tank skid, tucked in a little better underneath and further from rear bumper for more clearance. The beefier cross bars are a bonus as well.

I've had no flex limitations running a 3.5" JKS lift with their HD springs. I have recommended this skid to others, it has been tested in the rocks and performed well.

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I have the aluminum version and it works great. I chose RockHard over Metalcloak for the DEF tank skid, tucked in a little better underneath and further from rear bumper for more clearance. The beefier cross bars are a bonus as well.

I've had no flex limitations running a 3.5" JKS lift with their HD springs. I have recommended this skid to others, it has been tested in the rocks and performed well.
Good to know about the Def Tank. Are the cross members that much beefier?

And is the fuel filter accessible without removing the plates? It doesn't appear so.

Sponsored

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500

And is the fuel filter accessible without removing the plates? It doesn't appear so.
you would probably want your fuel filter protected tho...

would be worth it to take out 4 bolts do do maintenance when the time comes.

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
you would probably want your fuel filter protected tho...

would be worth it to take out 4 bolts do do maintenance when the time comes.
Yes, MC has a "hatch" which is what I was asking about not that I don't want it protected.

Wixo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
I have been looking at rock hard for a while. Aluminum will be nice as the diesel weighs a lot and there isn’t a lot of wiggle room for add ons. I had their full metal set on our jk and it was built very well.

JLURD_CO

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Diesel

No hatch/access for fuel filter without removing fuel skid. Looks like 6 bolts holding that skid on that won't be fun to deal with. I didn't realize MetalCloak had an easily accessible/removable hatch for the fuel filter, I thought it was just a bump out for the shape of the factory skid for the filter.

Thanks for calling that out though! I'm new to diesels but I'm doing my 2nd oil change soon (at 10K miles) and will be replacing fuel filter at that time (per diesel supplement owner's manual). I drained the water at 5K miles (a few drops of water) then had skids installed. I will likely evaluate the benefit/risk of drilling an access hole for the water drain in the filter (depending on how much of a pain it is to remove/reinstall the fuel tank skid).

Both skid options seem like great products, my buddy has the MetalCloak skids on his 3.6L and loves his. I was looking to avoid any more weight, so chose the only aluminum option available at the time.

bikeindirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD

Sponsored

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
No hatch/access for fuel filter without removing fuel skid. Looks like 6 bolts holding that skid on that won't be fun to deal with. I didn't realize MetalCloak had an easily accessible/removable hatch for the fuel filter, I thought it was just a bump out for the shape of the factory skid for the filter.

Thanks for calling that out though! I'm new to diesels but I'm doing my 2nd oil change soon (at 10K miles) and will be replacing fuel filter at that time (per diesel supplement owner's manual). I drained the water at 5K miles (a few drops of water) then had skids installed. I will likely evaluate the benefit/risk of drilling an access hole for the water drain in the filter (depending on how much of a pain it is to remove/reinstall the fuel tank skid).

Both skid options seem like great products, my buddy has the MetalCloak skids on his 3.6L and loves his. I was looking to avoid any more weight, so chose the only aluminum option available at the time.
I just looked at it again and I do think it is just a bump out. There are bolt holes so I assumed it was a door, but I think they are just another point of attachment. Too bad. I could be wrong.

OP
OP
Rangemaster

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner

Thanks, I was leaning this way also.

konakona

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSD
Build Thread
Link
So is the rock hard one an additional 190lbs to the Jeep or is all the skids total to 190

JLURD_CO

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Diesel
So is the rock hard one an additional 190lbs to the Jeep or is all the skids total to 190
190 pounds for the new aluminum skids (and new solid steel cross bars). You do remove two of the factory cross bars and the factory skid connected to them, so you lose a little weight there (maybe 10-15 lbs?).

The steel version from Rock Hard weighs 280 lbs (including new cross bars).

Metal Cloak (steel only) weighs 235 lbs, but reuses the factory tube cross bars (which were compressed on mine due to the mass of the diesel and some poor line choices by me on the trails...)