Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

184585F0-FAB1-4FFC-9014-A5694E25ADBB.jpeg
went for my first “free” oil change today - 8k miles. Got there early so first in line, out in 20 minutes - off to enjoy my Saturday. The dealership is on Hwy 15 so within minutes I was at road speeds and within minutes I was engulfed in a cloud of fog - had to drive to next exit and flip around and return to dealership - the bay that I left 10 minutes earlier was open so I pulled in.

As soon as I stepped out the Service Advisor said “Kinked oil cap seal. Sorry” - oil was drawing out the bottom. So it was another oil change, new filter/seal, engine/engine bay steam clean I was in the road. Twenty minutes later the burning oil smell was gone?

Has anyone else had this issue? They made it seem like pretty routine thing
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kenny

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
went for my first “free” oil change today - 8k miles. Got there early so first in line, out in 20 minutes - off to enjoy my Saturday. The dealership is on Hwy 15 so within minutes I was at road speeds and within minutes I was engulfed in a cloud of fog - had to drive to next exit and flip around and return to dealership - the bay that I left 10 minutes earlier was open so I pulled in.

As soon as I stepped out the Service Advisor said “Kinked oil cap seal. Sorry” - oil was drawing out the bottom. So it was another oil change, new filter/seal, engine/engine bay steam clean I was in the road. Twenty minutes later the burning oil smell was gone?

That’s why I told Jeep Wave to go pound sand and take me off their call list. I do all my own oil changes. If I screw up, it’s my fault!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kenny

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

That’s why I told Jeep Wave to go pound sand and take me off their call list. I do all my own oil changes. If I screw up, it’s my fault!
Good point

PadreFreddie

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Alfredo Marrero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door, 3.6 manual
Good old Jeep Service, it never fails. That's the same technician that will install your overpriced 2" lift kit that will not void your warranty....yeah right! The only thing a Jeep dealer is good for is to sell you the vehicle, that's it!

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Stupid mistake, obviously poorly trained technicians, the dealer responded correctly, not sure what else to say except I'm glad there was not damage to you Jeep.

DatsunX3

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Sport S - Ordered

How does that happen? If it's that common, what needs to be done to make sure it doesn't happen. Doesn't the oil cap just screw on? Possibly due to over tightening? I always do my own oil changes, but haven't done a change on a JL yet.

Sponsored

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
How does that happen? If it's that common, what needs to be done to make sure it doesn't happen. Doesn't the oil cap just screw on? Possibly due to over tightening? I always do my own oil changes, but haven't done a change on a JL yet.
The oil change on the JL is the easiest oil change I've ever done. There is no good reason this should happen at any oil change place, especially a dealership. There is no excuse for amateur mistakes at a dealership. They charge you a premium for everything for a false image of providing "pro" service, which was certainly not the case here. They responded quickly, I'll give them that, but it could have turned out far worse if your engine ran without oil.....:angry:

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Should have asked how much oil they put in it.
Several on here have reported dealers overfilling because they used JK specs.
Sponsored