Beginner trail suggestions in Moab?

Meadows

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys
Hi - any beginner trail suggestions in Moab, UT. Passing through with the family in a ‘21 JLU Willy’s and would love to grab a quick trail ride or two. Thanks!
Sponsored

Sponsored

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
I'd go out and run the Shafer Switchbacks and out on Potash Rd.
This is a good suggestion - check out Grandview point as well. If you add in a trip UP Long Canyon from Potash Road, instead of taking 313 off 191, that adds a little spice and scenery, depending on road conditions. If you have all day and the energy, check out Deadhorse point - an out and back - along the way - as well. Deadhorse will look down upon the Potash Road that you're about to drive, and the final scene location for Thelma and Louise is right there as well.

I would call Fins and Things a few steps up from either and not beginner - but might qualify as a novice level rock crawling experience - ie, you're likely in 4L most of the way.

JackA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; Nacho
Vehicle Showcase
I'm headed to Moab next month meeting some friends from Kentucky who will be driving a Compass Trailhawk. We are planning some easy rated trails: Gemini Bridge, Geyser Pass, and Hurrah Pass. These are rated in Charles Wells' Guide to Moab.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Thanks! Gemini Bridges was one that was suggested as a family friendly option. I’d love to see the details on that one!
20210317_164241.jpg

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Make sure you download the Jeep badge of honor app and get a couple of free badges

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
"Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!" ...according to Alfonso Bedoya in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
Wait a minute....I thought that was in Blazing Saddles! :LOL::CWL:

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
If one rated those easy routes by quality, Shafer to Potash would get 5/5, all the rest 4 or less, I'd say about half are unremarkable over any other graded road in the area. Gemini is so-so, maybe a 3 - better if you go up Long Canyon to get there, best on a mountain bike following the adjacent single track trails - you can rent bike in town and get a shuttle to the top - if into that sort of thing.

Last edited: