OP
char05

char05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Clubs

Wow! First, thank you all for the great welcoming and excellent feedback. I learned a lot but have more questions!

Willy vs Sport S

I got a ton of suggestions for the Willy but I don't plan to do any real "off-roading". I just plan to daily drive it and go overlanding on the weekends. Would you guys STILL recommend the Willy (even the Willy Sport) over the Sport S for the LSD/Rubicon transmission or should I be ok with the Sport S being that I'm not doing anything hardcore for now?

eTorque vs non-eTorque v6

I heard a mix of eTorque vs not eTorque. Seems like the eTorque is still new so we don't know if it's as reliable as the usual v6. From what I know, the eTorque is supposed to be smoother and not have an alternator? How does that work? What other major differences are there between the models?

I think I might be able to do without the eTorque but would love to get some more feedback from you guys before I make that decision.

Tow Package

As for the tow package. I'm not planning on towing anything at the moment but thought it was a good thing for future mods since it brings aux switches and a "beefier" alternator (might not be worth the alternator if I go the eTorque route as that engine seems to remove it all together). Thoughts on adding this still or should I remove this add on all together?

Thanks again!

On the camping side I just want to say thank you. I've read all your replies and am checking out Dyrt along with BLM! S/O to Trainman for teaching me the overland terminology. After reading all your replies I will go ahead and do custom order. Some local Florida dealerships were trying to convince me that buying off the lot was cheaper but that seems to be the contrary (and I'm not surprised).

Thanks guys!
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
With regards to the eTorque vs non-eTorque debate: notice that almost every post against eTorque is from someone who doesn’t have it, expressing fears that haven’t yet materialized. eTorque owners for the most part are one happy bunch.

Willys is perfect for light to moderate levels of off-roading, which is what you are likely to encounter overlanding, plus it gives you an added margin of safety. Having said that, you can add a rear LSD to anything from Sport to Sahara and obtain comparable levels of capability. The nice thing about Willys is that it all comes standard.

Last edited:

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
As far as eTorque goes I'm not buying it because I'm going with the 6 spd. manual and also my 2017 Willys had the standard V6 and I never had any problems with it. All being said the cost to repair will be higher on the eTorque engine in the long run and if you need repairs to that engine it will need to go to a Jeep dealer to be repaired and a machinal shop will not have the proper test equipment to diagnosis the problem, this is only from what I have read on the forum, so don't quote me on this. I don't really understand the love for the eTorque engine other then it's the only way you can get the automatic trans with the V6.

OP
OP
char05

char05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Clubs

As far as eTorque goes I'm not buying it because I'm going with the 6 spd. manual and also my 2017 Willys had the standard V6 and I never had any problems with it. All being said the cost to repair will be higher on the eTorque engine in the long run and if you need repairs to that engine it will need to go to a Jeep dealer to be repaired and a machinal shop will not have the proper test equipment to diagnosis the problem, this is only from what I have read on the forum, so don't quote me on this. I don't really understand the love for the eTorque engine other then it's the only way you can get the automatic trans with the V6.

This is helpful thanks man

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Wow! First, thank you all for the great welcoming and excellent feedback. I learned a lot but have more questions!

Willy vs Sport S

I got a ton of suggestions for the Willy but I don't plan to do any real "off-roading". I just plan to daily drive it and go overlanding on the weekends. Would you guys STILL recommend the Willy (even the Willy Sport) over the Sport S for the LSD/Rubicon transmission or should I be ok with the Sport S being that I'm not doing anything hardcore for now?

I heard a mix of eTorque vs not eTorque. Seems like the eTorque is still new so we don't know if it's as reliable as the usual v6. From what I know, the eTorque is supposed to be smoother and not have an alternator? How does that work? What other major differences are there between the models?

I think I might be able to do without the eTorque but would love to get some more feedback from you guys before I make that decision.

Tow Package

As for the tow package. I'm not planning on towing anything at the moment but thought it was a good thing for future mods since it brings aux switches and a "beefier" alternator (might not be worth the alternator if I go the eTorque route as that engine seems to remove it all together). Thoughts on adding this still or should I remove this add on all together?

Thanks again!

On the camping side I just want to say thank you. I've read all your replies and am checking out Dyrt along with BLM! S/O to Trainman for teaching me the overland terminology. After reading all your replies I will go ahead and do custom order. Some local Florida dealerships were trying to convince me that buying off the lot was cheaper but that seems to be the contrary (and I'm not surprised).

Thanks guys!
I got a JLU Rubicon Diesel and love most everything about it.
But, I wish I got the factory LED package, factory tow including brake controller (I've added hitch, trailer lights, and brake controller myself, next time I'll avoid the hassle and get it factory, plus then I'd of got the aux switches), and the 8.4" infotainment for the extras it has over the 7".
My father in law has a Sahara with the LEDs and 8.4 so I've compared/messed with the 2. My next Jeep will have them for sure. Or I will be upgrading this one at some point.

Originally, I knew it had to be a diesel and was thinking a nicely equipped Willys would do. But the wife said if you really want a Rubicon, then get it.
So I did!!! I'm getting over 23mpg around town and the last trip to the beach I got over 27mpg for the whole trip.
Jeep Wrangler JL Before I Buy My Jeep Questions IMG_20210714_122715614~2

Good luck and enjoy it, once you find the right one.

Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
and the 8.4" infotainment for the extras it has over the 7".
My father in law has a Sahara with the LEDs and 8.4 so I've compared/messed with the 2.

Good luck and enjoy it, once you find the right one.
What impresses you about the 8.4? I’ve got an XR on order with the 7” and am genuinely curious n

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
@char05 Looks like you received great input already from this great community of Jeepers, so I’ll just say Welcome to the party!

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!

Willy vs Sport S

Tow Package

Thanks again!

Thanks guys!
Whether you go Willys or Sport, one thing that would be important is limited slip differential. Not sure if that’s available as an option in the Sport?

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
What impresses you about the 8.4? I’ve got an XR on order with the 7” and am genuinely curious n
The Uconnect app for the 8.4 is pretty neat. The 8.4 has navigation where my 7 doesn't. While I haven't used the navigation in the JL, my Ram navigation was awesome.
I've used the Chevy and hated it and wasn't impressed with the Ford either. In those I just used my phone. But in the Ram we had, I always used 8.4 nav.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
There's some great advice in this thread. I think, even if you don't go with the Willys, you'll still be fine. My JK was a Sport S and I ran it on trails bone stock for about a year before putting any upgrades on. Even a Sport is an extraordinarily capable vehicle. That said, the better tires on the Willys will likely serve you better than the Sport's street tires. And tires are pricy, might cost you less to get it from the factory that way in the long run.

Definitely recommend keeping the Tow/Aux package. Just getting the aux switches alone is super helpful. Makes installing lights or other accessories a total breeze. Plus, you never know if you might want to tow something down the line.

For camping, I usually start by checking public lands. There's not much (if any) BLM land in Florida--not like out West. In which case, I'd recommend checking out your national forests. There's an abundance of trails in Ocala NF, but I can't speak to the Jeep camping situation there (I never got a chance to take my Jeep camping up there, unfortunately.) Check their website and should give more info. There's probably good trails & camping up in Apalachicola & Osceola NF too.

I usually use GaiaGPS and their Public Lands, MVUM (motor vehicle use map), & USFS Roads & Trails overlays to help find trails and places to camp. But always dig deeper to make sure things are still open. Closures happen all the time.

Since you're going with a dog, make sure you check to be sure the areas you're going are dog-friendly, too. Most national forest and BLM land generally is, but national parks are very dog-UN-friendly.

As for camping safety... Florida's kind of hard to get truly off-grid, but there's still a few areas that lack cell service. So, if you're traveling solo, I recommend getting a GPS messenger for emergencies. About 99% of my camping trips are solo and I've been carrying a beacon for years, just in case. Better to have it and not need it than the reverse. Different brands offer different plans. Garmin has a plan where you can pay just for the months you need it, if you don't want to pay yearly.

Also, consider taking a walk-out bag in case you get stuck or break down and have to hoof it back to civilization.

Oh, and be bear aware. Florida bears aren't likely to rip your Jeep open like in the Sierra Nevadas, but they'll still get into your food if you leave it out. Store it all in your Jeep with the hardtop on--food, trash, and anything else they'd be interested in like toothpaste.

You're going to love it. I bought my first Jeep for the exact same reason--to go camping in remote places alone with my dog. And it's been one of the most rewarding experiences ever. Nine years later and I'm on my second Jeep. It's addicting. Welcome to the obsession! ;)

Sponsored

JackA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; Nacho
Vehicle Showcase
Just for clarity: eTorque must be viewed as 2018-2020 and 2021 and after. The 2018-2020 implementation used a second Lead Acid battery that was not totally up to the task. In 2021 a 40 V Lithium battery replaced the "motorcycle" Lead Acid unit and the alternator was replaced with a generator. This configuration is the BSG (Belt-driven Starter Generator) The 2021 implementation provides and additional 70 Ft/Lbs of torque to the engine during the first half rotation of the tires. This is possible because the 40V Lithium battery powers the generator making it a motor which transmits the power via the belt connected to the main crank pulley. All electronics are powered off the 40V battery and there is regenerative braking which allows additional "drag" when slowing and puts some charge into the 40V battery. The 8 speed transmission uses the 40V battery to power the up and down shift synchronization which is why so many people talk about how smoothly the 8 speed transmission shifts. This "mild hybrid" technology is well proven and is reliable. My opinion is that overall it will be no more expensive to maintain than a Pentastar 3.6L without eTorque.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

Willy vs Sport S

Tow Package

Thanks again!

Thanks guys!
What rubicon transmission? you mean rubicon suspension?. the willys has rubicon shocks. If you are not offroading the sport S is fine. But do consider the LSD option, it gives you better tires, a dana 44 rear axle and well, the LSD. For only $500 it is a steal. If in the future you decide to improve its offroad capabilities to willys like, thats really easy since youll already have the LSD.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.0 ETorque is a V6?? Wow all this time I thought they were 4 cylinders.
Some veteran I am. Lol. In my defense I’ve always been a manual transmission guy so it’s never been an option for me.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The 2.0 ETorque is a V6?? Wow all this time I thought they were 4 cylinders.
Some veteran I am. Lol. In my defense I’ve always been a manual transmission guy so it’s never been an option for me.
It is 4 cyl. The V6 comes with etorque now, I think the 2.0 does not anymore

OP
OP
char05

char05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Clubs

There's some great advice in this thread. I think, even if you don't go with the Willys, you'll still be fine. My JK was a Sport S and I ran it on trails bone stock for about a year before putting any upgrades on. Even a Sport is an extraordinarily capable vehicle. That said, the better tires on the Willys will likely serve you better than the Sport's street tires. And tires are pricy, might cost you less to get it from the factory that way in the long run.

Definitely recommend keeping the Tow/Aux package. Just getting the aux switches alone is super helpful. Makes installing lights or other accessories a total breeze. Plus, you never know if you might want to tow something down the line.

For camping, I usually start by checking public lands. There's not much (if any) BLM land in Florida--not like out West. In which case, I'd recommend checking out your national forests. There's an abundance of trails in Ocala NF, but I can't speak to the Jeep camping situation there (I never got a chance to take my Jeep camping up there, unfortunately.) Check their website and should give more info. There's probably good trails & camping up in Apalachicola & Osceola NF too.

I usually use GaiaGPS and their Public Lands, MVUM (motor vehicle use map), & USFS Roads & Trails overlays to help find trails and places to camp. But always dig deeper to make sure things are still open. Closures happen all the time.

Since you're going with a dog, make sure you check to be sure the areas you're going are dog-friendly, too. Most national forest and BLM land generally is, but national parks are very dog-UN-friendly.

As for camping safety... Florida's kind of hard to get truly off-grid, but there's still a few areas that lack cell service. So, if you're traveling solo, I recommend getting a GPS messenger for emergencies. About 99% of my camping trips are solo and I've been carrying a beacon for years, just in case. Better to have it and not need it than the reverse. Different brands offer different plans. Garmin has a plan where you can pay just for the months you need it, if you don't want to pay yearly.

Also, consider taking a walk-out bag in case you get stuck or break down and have to hoof it back to civilization.

Oh, and be bear aware. Florida bears aren't likely to rip your Jeep open like in the Sierra Nevadas, but they'll still get into your food if you leave it out. Store it all in your Jeep with the hardtop on--food, trash, and anything else they'd be interested in like toothpaste.

You're going to love it. I bought my first Jeep for the exact same reason--to go camping in remote places alone with my dog. And it's been one of the most rewarding experiences ever. Nine years later and I'm on my second Jeep. It's addicting. Welcome to the obsession! ;)
Dude this is awesome! Thanks for the insight. Got me pumped over here haha. What has been some of your favorite places in FL and surrounding states to camp? Looking for some places to get started with
Sponsored