Beer cans [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

abnormal4x4

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
Yeah it's probably a bunch of welfare queens out on the trail taking their government dollars and throwing them into the mud. /s
Wowee, do we have public transportation out to the trailheads now? šŸ˜

But here's another question, while I dislike intrusive government, mightn't it serve a purpose for all states to have deposits on cans and bottles as some states do? If it wouldn't be an incentive to the people to return them instead of throwing them out at least it would help organizations and off-road clubs who actually do clean up the trails.
Sponsored

Viking Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR. 2021 392 Wrangler.
Yesterday we had a charity wiffle ball tournament on the baseball field of the local high school in the name of a 16 year old baseball player who unexpectedly died of a brain aneurysm a few years ago. After it was all over we spent quite some time picking up half full bottles of water, gatorade, coke, etc. I dont get people. A very nice field at a charity event and people trash it.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I love people who deliver these platitudes like "just leave" or "make it a better place".

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that many folks in CA (or wherever) want more of what you're seeking less of. Point being, you may disagree on what a "better place" looks like.
Better place is where people donā€™t throw they f in trash on the ground and donā€™t cut trails that cause lands to be shut down.. itā€™s simple. Respect what land we have

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Problem is people rather let someone else do it for them

Sponsored

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

Better place is where people donā€™t throw they f in trash on the ground and donā€™t cut trails that cause lands to be shut down.. itā€™s simple. Respect what land we have
Couldnā€™t agree more. But I mean that really wasnā€™t the context for calling the state ā€œcrapuforniaā€ or whatever.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Wowee, do we have public transportation out to the trailheads now? šŸ˜

But here's another question, while I dislike intrusive government, mightn't it serve a purpose for all states to have deposits on cans and bottles as some states do? If it wouldn't be an incentive to the people to return them instead of throwing them out at least it would help organizations and off-road clubs who actually do clean up the trails.
I like where your headā€™s at, and I actually keep my cans and plastic bottles to return for a refund (I live in CA), but... I think in the Venn diagram of ā€œpeople who litter by throwing cans/bottles in the woods while drinkingā€ and ā€œpeople who are fiscally conscious enough to care about recouping that $0.05 x 12ā€ the overlap is almost exactly zero.

But yeah the people who clean it up could benefit, thatā€™s true.

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
Ugh, hate that. I donā€™t understand why people think thatā€™s acceptable.
One of the best experiences I've had was on a backwoods canoe trip with a youthgroup (teenagers). While on a portage, one of the younger kids just tossed a bit of trash on the trail, and it was my own son (at the time, an older peer, but still a teen) gave this kid sh#t and made him pick up his litter. I thought to myself..."you brung him up right dad".

Overkill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.camaroheaven.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon; 2018 JLU Sahara; 2002 TJ Sport; 2005 GMC 2500HD; 1969 Camaro (blue); 1969 Camaro (red); 1974 Chevrolet Cheyenne K20
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
A big one for me is people that throw out cigarette butts, not considering them trash. But that might be because I've never smoked. I've often picked up butts that people that I'm with throw out.

Growing up camping a weekend every month because of Scouting, I spent quite a bit of time picking up places that we camped and have continued that when I'm out.

The woods I have behind my house always have trash in it because my neighbor is a hoarder and the trash pile they throw out behind their should be condemned house gets washed down the gully that becomes a stream through my property. Not the same as what most places deal with, but it is another source of trash out there. She definitely isn't a teenager either. LOL

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

A big one for me is people that throw out cigarette butts, not considering them trash. But that might be because I've never smoked. I've often picked up butts that people that I'm with throw out.

Growing up camping a weekend every month because of Scouting, I spent quite a bit of time picking up places that we camped and have continued that when I'm out.

The woods I have behind my house always have trash in it because my neighbor is a hoarder and the trash pile they throw out behind their should be condemned house gets washed down the gully that becomes a stream through my property. Not the same as what most places deal with, but it is another source of trash out there. She definitely isn't a teenager either. LOL
I've picked up butts thrown out car windows and thrown them back into the car. That stuff just pisses me off. "But I don't have an ashtray!" Then don't smoke in your damn vehicle.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Back before the mid 70s, at least most of the trash biodegradable. I still occasionally find the rusted remnants of steel beer cans. They will all be gone in another few years. Wasn't uncommon to find those steel cans when I was a kid, shot full of holes. Lone Star case used to be just an open cardboard box that held four six packs. On the bottom of the box had a target printed on it to practice your shooting after the beer was gone! At least those non-coated boxes decomposed quickly.

These days it's plastics, that trash will be here for a couple hundred years or more. My grandkid's grandkids will be finding it. I find store bags it tangled in trees in the woods on my property, blown in from who knows where. Even a store bag takes about 5-7 years to degrade, but it never really goes away. When I try to pick up an old one, it falls to pieces and I have to pick all of those up.

The last time I was at South Padre Island, the easilly accessed parts of the beach, beyond where the fancy condos are, was absolutley trashed. It was unbelievable. As were drove north up the beach, beyond where POS cars and 2wd pickups could go, it got cleaner and cleaner. I'm talking all manner of trash from store bags to beer cans and beer case boxes to diapers laying out on the beach, along with all of the crappy stuff they brought with them and didn't want to take back like styrofoam coolers, cheap lawn chairs and wind damaged umbrellas. The county has to clean the beach daily with loaders. and it still happens. It was so nasty, my wife and I decided that we will never go to South Padre Island anymore. Padre Island National Seashore on N. Padre is much better. But it still has all of the trash that washes up from other parts of the world, or off of ships or commercial fishing boats. Far, far less is left on the beach by visitors though. They even have an anual clean up where volunteers go down and haul off all of the stuff that has collected.

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
At the risk of sounding like an old fart, while I am old I am not an old fart...when I was a kid we had the fake Indian with the tear running down his cheek commercials...they who played a huge part I think in changing the outlook of an entire nation.
I remember this and it made an impact on me. (here it is if you haven't seen it: )

This is a very complex problem, however there is a solution. Its education on what this stuff does. I see it scuba diving as well. I teach new divers, don't throw trash over and if you see trash, pick it up.

Many people are not open to new or different ideas (this isn't pointed at one group, its every group). They don't want to learn and therefore have bad habits. That is a bigger problem than education.

If we teach people what pollution (including trash) does, we may have a chance. But from what I've seen, its only about "me" as long as its NIMBY, its ok. Problem is, its always someone's back yard.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
April 22, 1970 was the first year of Earth day. Too bad it never developed into anything.
I remember well those ads of the crying Indian and wondered why a First Nations person wasn't used for the ad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Eyes_Cody
BTW, trash is sadly an issue on Indian Reservations also.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I honestly believe this is all due to crappy parents of my generation. Kids these days really need an A$% whooping and to be put back in check for respecting the land we live on and the land we exploreā€¦
Damn kids.

I've done a lot of backpacking & hiking, and can say that in my experience when compared to hikers, off-roaders are the ones "enjoying" the environment but not cleaning up after themselves. Polluting the air, leaking fluids, driving over plants, changing nature so that it speeds up erosion... and yes also leaving trash. And I like off-roading.

I'm not saying this is everyone so calm down, I'm not talking about you.
Sponsored