Been topless in heavy rain?

bradcrc

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So I go topless and doorless all summer and inevitably will get caught in an unexpected downpour. That's just part of the deal, happens every year.

Has anyone experienced that in their JL yet? Any issues?

I've recently moved to a JL, which is not like any of the past jeep models I could take a hose to the inside without issue, so I'm a little worried about whether it can handle getting soaking wet without ruining a lot of the gadgets and electric gizmos.
Sponsored

ronstar

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, 2021 2dr JL 80th Ann
I've been caught in several rains, but not really any downpours. It doesnt seem like the inside gets as wet as you think it would. Maybe because I was moving.

I also carry a tarp with me just in case, but I haven't used it yet. Just make a run for home when its starts raining. I also have several underpasses picked out in my area where I can pull under a bridge to keep dry.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Yep.... pulled the plugs and drained the tub, pulled the carpets to hang and dry..... no other issues.

Water on the floor from the carpets....
Jeep Wrangler JL Been topless in heavy rain? 20200606_174521

Water draining out of the floor mats...
Jeep Wrangler JL Been topless in heavy rain? 20200606_174528

Water on the floor...
Jeep Wrangler JL Been topless in heavy rain? 20200606_174913

Jeep Wrangler JL Been topless in heavy rain? 20200606_174916

Drying carpets...
Jeep Wrangler JL Been topless in heavy rain? 20200606_180859

Jeep Wrangler JL Been topless in heavy rain? 20200606_180912

Last picture is us soaking wet when we got caught in a sudden downpour....

Jeep Wrangler JL Been topless in heavy rain? 20200626_182005

We have been caught a few times in downpours.... all's good!!!

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
So I go topless and doorless all summer and inevitably will get caught in an unexpected downpour. That's just part of the deal, happens every year.

Has anyone experienced that in their JL yet? Any issues?

I've recently moved to a JL, which is not like any of the past jeep models I could take a hose to the inside without issue, so I'm a little worried about whether it can handle getting soaking wet without ruining a lot of the gadgets and electric gizmos.
Got stuck in traffic for 9 hrs in NYC on the way to Boston from Norfolk VA, and never moved an inch. August and my top with doors and sides removed. Rain? Noah would have strangled on it. My foot tubs fill up with water, had to pull the plugs and it poured and poured. Finally moved about 11 pm and pulled into the first motel I saw.

Sponsored

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I got caught in some pretty heavy rain once with no top or doors on. The temp in the morning was mid 60s which was perfect, but then a storm rolled in and temp dropped to mid/low 40s. When I was going through some towns to get back to the highway it was miserable, if you can keep your speed above 50mph it's not as bad as when you're sitting at a stop light. I had water dripping from every part of the dash, had to wipe the inside of the windshield with my sweatshirt sleeve to be able to see haha. Everything held up fine, no issues with the electronics. Once I got out of the storm and a little further south from it the temp jumped up to mid 70s and after 45 mins roughly of driving the entire Jeep was dry again. Next day I wiped everything down with a damp micro fiber towel and she looked good as new again!

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Yep, several standing inches of water. Pulled the plugs and let it drain. No biggie.

Smoke Showing

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I’ll strip out all the carpet and pull the plugs the day the hardtop comes off, only keeping the floor mats. I can’t stand the sour stink of wet automotive carpet and I can easily hose the beach sand out. I do have a bikini top so It‘s/I’m partially protected from the rain and summer sun. I started runni like that 30 years ago and have never had any issues.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I've been caught in several rains, but not really any downpours. It doesnt seem like the inside gets as wet as you think it would. Maybe because I was moving.

I also carry a tarp with me just in case, but I haven't used it yet. Just make a run for home when its starts raining. I also have several underpasses picked out in my area where I can pull under a bridge to keep dry.
I've had to take off my t-shirt to wipe the inside of the windshield, the wipers take care of the outside, but the inside require something like a Tshirt, those were the good ole YJ/TJ and 2dr JK days.

Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Gotten caught driving in the rain a couple of times, and this one time (not at band camp) it unexpectedly down poured for a while before i got to it to drive it home and while driving the Uconnect went bonkers. When i got home i toweled it off best i could and pulled the plug and let it sit for a few days in the garage to dry out. Been fine ever since.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Pretty sure most of the gadgets and electric gizmos are supposed to be waterproof. Thought I remember someone from Jeep saying you could hose down the interior with no problems.

Also, are most people getting caught topless in hardtops where you took the whole top off? I have both tops and worst case for me, which happened once, was getting caught in a heavy downpour with the soft top folded down. Didn't have the windows with me, but I just put the top up so it was in safari mode and no problems at all. There was a little water on the rear speaker and the plastic on the other side, carpet was slightly damp in a few places in the back, but that was it. I was actually surprised how well safari mode held up to a heavy downpour.

Last edited:

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Get a soft top, even in safari mode without windows you stay nice and dry...

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I've had to take off my t-shirt to wipe the inside of the windshield, the wipers take care of the outside, but the inside require something like a Tshirt, those were the good ole YJ/TJ and 2dr JK days.

Yes, I forgot about that!!!! :CWL: :CWL: :CWL: the rain covers the inside of the windshield...
Sponsored