Been running JL with oil way too high?

Sracht

First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S
2018 JL, got first free oil change about 1500 miles ago. I never have checked the oil after the dealership changes it, it just never occurred to me that the dealership could possibly perform such a basic task incorrectly. However, I checked the oil last night cold and this morning after running the engine and it seems WAY high to me. I mean, so high that I can't help but wonder if I am reading this dipstick wrong. It's been 1500 miles now and I'm not sure what to do.

To check the oil, just to head off the inevitable "did you do it right" questions...The car is in my flat, level driveway. When I check it, I pull the dipstick out, wipe it clean, then put it back in seating it properly, then pull it out and check the reading. The first time, I checked it while the engine was cold. The second time, I had run it for about 25 minutes, let it sit in the driveway for 5 minutes then checked the oil.

Some backstory: I'm concerned about the dealership at this point. I have had NUMEROUS little issues and a few bigger ones with the Jeep. I have tried to lemon-law it but was denied (I was working with some teenage boy and they essentially didn't feel like reviewing my case...I simply haven't had time to deal with it with my mom's cancer right now). I've had it in the shop about 5 times for about 13 different problems and it has sat there for over 30 days (I think 42 cumulative days by my last count). I'm positive they are tired of me and at this point are denying any issues I bring the Jeep in for even though I have video proof of what I'm bringing it in for.
The engine oil will make problem #14, but I'm 99% sure calling the dealership out on the issue will produce NOTHING. They will inevitably tell me there's nothing to be worried about and they will change the oil for me if I want. As for problems, I haven't noticed too much with the engine, been too busy noticing and trying to document all the other issues. The Jeep was in the shop last week for unrelated issues. I have no idea if they added the oil then or if it has been running like this for the last 1500 miles (which is when I got the oil changed).

I'm at a loss. Short of hiring a lawyer, I'm not sure what to do at this point. What kind of damage can be caused by this much oil in the engine? Will I notice those issues soon? Could I have long-term damage that won't crop up till later when the jeep is well out-of-warranty? How would you handle this?
Jeep Wrangler JL Been running JL with oil way too high? {filename}
Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Do you have the service report for the oil change?
Many dealers are putting in 6 qts, but the JL calls for 5 qts.
1 qt over filled can cause issues, I would verify the amount of oil they put in, if 6, have them take it out and redo it with 5 qts.

This dipstick is a pita to read, first time I checked mine I was like wtf is this dumb stick telling me, I do my own oil changes now so I know it has 5 qts.

older dipstick were easy to read...idk why the design of dipsticks had to change

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
Where on the dipstick should the oil read?

OP
OP

Sracht

First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S
Where on the dipstick should the oil read?
That's a good question - there's no writing that says "max" on it and nothing in the manual to explain either. But I assume it needs to be within the crosshatched area - the indented portion of the bottom part of the dipstick. They are indeed stupid dipsticks, but if the dealership can't read it, there's no hope for it. Appreciate the responses!

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'd just drain the 1 qt out and move on, you'll be fine. Lots of people here have had the same problem with dealers overfiling.

OP
OP

Sracht

First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S
Do you have the service report for the oil change?
Many dealers are putting in 6 qts, but the JL calls for 5 qts.
1 qt over filled can cause issues, I would verify the amount of oil they put in, if 6, have them take it out and redo it with 5 qts.

This dipstick is a pita to read, first time I checked mine I was like wtf is this dumb stick telling me, I do my own oil changes now so I know it has 5 qts.

older dipstick were easy to read...idk why the design of dipsticks had to change
I can't find the service report...still looking tho. It makes sense why they might have incorrectly put an extra quart in, but after 1500 miles it's hard to believe it's STILL that high if it was only 1 extra quart to begin with. I can't tell how much extra is in there from the dipstick. My sister's brand-new Jeep Renegade is burning 1/2 quart oil every 500 miles and Jeep says that's normal, so I guess by that standard, I could theoretically have burned 1.5 quarts and still be this high. WTH.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I can't find the service report...still looking tho. It makes sense why they might have incorrectly put an extra quart in, but after 1500 miles it's hard to believe it's STILL that high if it was only 1 extra quart to begin with. I can't tell how much extra is in there from the dipstick. My sister's brand-new Jeep Renegade is burning 1/2 quart oil every 500 miles and Jeep says that's normal, so I guess by that standard, I could theoretically have burned 1.5 quarts and still be this high. WTH.
1/2 quart every 500 miles? That’s normal? What is the recommended oil change? 10,000 miles? She would have to replace 10 quarts of oil before her first oil change? I guess no need to ever change the oil then. Just keep replacing it 1 quart at a time!

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I love that line...no vehicle should burn a qt of oil every 1000 miles, under normal driving conditions

I haven't noticed much oil consumption from my oil changes yet in the JL
If the oil is up onto the cable part of the dipstick it is overfilled.

Call the service dept and ask how much oil the JL takes because you want to do an oil change, if they say 6, then you know for sure.

OP
OP

Sracht

First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S
CHECK YOUR OIL LEVELS FOLKS.

Just had to update the thread with this newest absurdity from the dealership. They readily admit they put 6 quarts of oil in the Jeep last oil change. But the best part is that the service tech has been arguing with me for 2 days about whether or not the Jeep takes 6 quarts or 5. It goes something like this (via email):

Me: Hey, my oil is high. (I explain how I check). Here's a pic. Did you put 6 quarts in? Because the JK's take 6 but the JL's take 5.
Dealership: I've checked, you have a 3.6L engine and it takes 6 quarts which is what we put in. Maybe we made a mistake and put more than 6 quarts in.
Me: My owners manual definitely says it gets 5 quarts.
Dealership: "Very odd." I checked with parts and they say it gets 6 quarts. I googled 3.6L mopar engine and it says it gets 6 quarts. We have a mystery.
Me: No mystery. Here are photographs of my owners manual. Unless I have the wrong owners manual, it gets 5 quarts.
Dealership: Definitely confusing.

At this point, I called them this morning. I couldn't believe they were arguing with me...it can't possibly be that hard to check and verify. So I asked the guy point blank if he still thought JL's took 6 quarts of oil. He said, "Well, yes." I'm incredulous at this point and thinking there's no way this dealership will ever touch my jeep if they can't even get a basic oil change right. But just for curiosity's sake, I ask him what he intends to do with the Jeep and he proceeds to tell me he wants to see if I have the right dipstick and check for leaks (Because we all know leaks cause your oil levels to be way too high).

Houston, we have a problem.

As for the leaking/burning oil thing in my sister's Jeep Renegade, yes, I completely agree, burning 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles is ridiculous, especially for a brand new car. She has repeatedly had her car shut down on her when she goes around a curve because the oil gets too low in between changes (the oil shifting and the position of the sensor must be such that going around a curve causes it to think it doesn't have oil, so it shuts down). Her dealership confirms it's burning that much but claims it's normal. She has no oil spots in her driveway from leaking oil.

I still love my Jeep, but I'm definitely concerned about the state of the company right now.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
CHECK YOUR OIL LEVELS FOLKS.

Just had to update the thread with this newest absurdity from the dealership. They readily admit they put 6 quarts of oil in the Jeep last oil change. But the best part is that the service tech has been arguing with me for 2 days about whether or not the Jeep takes 6 quarts or 5. It goes something like this (via email):

Me: Hey, my oil is high. (I explain how I check). Here's a pic. Did you put 6 quarts in? Because the JK's take 6 but the JL's take 5.
Dealership: I've checked, you have a 3.6L engine and it takes 6 quarts which is what we put in. Maybe we made a mistake and put more than 6 quarts in.
Me: My owners manual definitely says it gets 5 quarts.
Dealership: "Very odd." I checked with parts and they say it gets 6 quarts. I googled 3.6L mopar engine and it says it gets 6 quarts. We have a mystery.
Me: No mystery. Here are photographs of my owners manual. Unless I have the wrong owners manual, it gets 5 quarts.
Dealership: Definitely confusing.

At this point, I called them this morning. I couldn't believe they were arguing with me...it can't possibly be that hard to check and verify. So I asked the guy point blank if he still thought JL's took 6 quarts of oil. He said, "Well, yes." I'm incredulous at this point and thinking there's no way this dealership will ever touch my jeep if they can't even get a basic oil change right. But just for curiosity's sake, I ask him what he intends to do with the Jeep and he proceeds to tell me he wants to see if I have the right dipstick and check for leaks (Because we all know leaks cause your oil levels to be way too high).

Houston, we have a problem.

As for the leaking/burning oil thing in my sister's Jeep Renegade, yes, I completely agree, burning 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles is ridiculous, especially for a brand new car. She has repeatedly had her car shut down on her when she goes around a curve because the oil gets too low in between changes (the oil shifting and the position of the sensor must be such that going around a curve causes it to think it doesn't have oil, so it shuts down). Her dealership confirms it's burning that much but claims it's normal. She has no oil spots in her driveway from leaking oil.

I still love my Jeep, but I'm definitely concerned about the state of the company right now.
Have to wonder if the dealer put in 6 quarts of 0W-20 or 5W-20 or something else all together. The JK uses 6 quarts of 5W-20 instead of 0W-20.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Wow, just Wow! I wouldn't trust that dealer to make a cup of coffee. And yeah, 1/2qt burning every 500 miles wtf, that motor has problems.

Got 6k on ours now (DIYd the first oil change at 1k), @ 5k since the last oil change oil level hasn't budged, and it's the top of that cross hatched area on the dipstick. The free oil changes could come w/ a $50 gift card to Cabellas and I'd still DIY it!

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Just happened to me. Service techs are going by the engine and not the vehicle model. With automation being what it is today and the detailed vehicle info that is on the service ticket, I would think the specs would also be there.
Both the service tech and the service manager learned something - and me too. Always look at the dipstick after an oil change. Service manager said they would redo the oil change if I wanted to wait a half hour but I went home and drained off the excess in about 5 minutes.
Its a good thing the oil type is printed on the filler cap. Should have the capacity printed there also.

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
Where does it say all that jazz... "only 5 quartz instead of 6". I scammed through the manual did not see it.

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
Just happened to me. Service techs are going by the engine and not the vehicle model. With automation being what it is today and the detailed vehicle info that is on the service ticket, I would think the specs would also be there.
Both the service tech and the service manager learned something - and me too. Always look at the dipstick after an oil change. Service manager said they would redo the oil change if I wanted to wait a half hour but I went home and drained off the excess in about 5 minutes.
Its a good thing the oil type is printed on the filler cap. Should have the capacity printed there also.
Hmm, maybe I’ll print out a sticker that says 5 qts and put it on the cap before I go to the dealer....
Sponsored