Sponsored

Been out of a Wrangler for 2 years. Ready to get back in. WANT 4 cyl. CHANGE MY MIND!

Mjc0010

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have the JLUR 2.0. I was firm against it for a long time until I actually drove it. I figure if the motor starts having issues I will trade it for something else. Until then I have until the factory warranty runs out to determine if I want to keep it for the long haul. So far no issues. I get great gas mileage and it is still a beast off road. Ultimately everyone on this forum will be very opinionated. Once folks start getting the diesel I'm sure there will be people of the opinion that that no jeep should be made a gas burner again. Ultimately it is your preference. Not what anyone else thinks. If your wallet always listens to someone else's opinions it wont be full long. Once you get a jeep it will be empty anyway.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Go for it! They even have a rebate on that 4 cylinder turd. I would say that the 4 is fine if you don't really want to off road it or crawl. Don't know how much boost you'll build crawling at low rpms.
Slight correction sir. The 2.0T develops all of its torque in the low end around 3000 rpm, which arguably makes it better for crawling, as you have to wind up the V6 to 4500 rpm to get 15 ft-lbs LESS than what the 2.0T pushes out.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
The 3.6 engine is why I'm ordering my Wrangler today, it's NOT direct injection. Those opting for the 2.0 get ready to spend $$ on maintenance. I just sold my VW GTI which is a 2.0 turbo direct injected nightmare, I have had the intake manifold replaced 4 times over the life of the car. Some will say, "why, just clean it"? The process is labor intensive, so that's why, it paid to replace the intake and then pay to have the valves and top end of the motor cleaned. A four hour process in all, very expensive for someone that can't do the work themselves and are relying on the dealership for service. The DI motors are more expensive to manufacture, maintain and most require premium fuel which at 60 cents a gallon above makes a big difference especially when driving 3K a month in a aerodynamic brick of a Wrangler. FCA isn't offering this engine to the masses because it's better, they are making it because the government is forcing them to meet gas mileage minimums across the fleet of vehicles they sell. Finally, for the owners of the 2.0 engine, invest in a easy to empty catch can and a good mechanic you can trust or you will be spending lots of $$ at the dealership for sure. In all honesty and from my experience, dual injection is the way to go, Lexus and Ford have realized that fact, I have a dual injection engine in my Tacoma which is a V6 and I average 23 mpg now. I'm trading in the Tacoma for a Wrangler because parking a truck in and around NYC can be a headache at times. The Wrangler Rubicon fits my wants, desires and needs... End of rant.
Your GTI is a 2011 and you say you put 3k miles a month on your car. So do you have 200 k miles on it? My 2.0 Turbo Allroad has 37k trouble free miles . I am fortunate to not have to keep cars to the point where they have accumulated so many miles that repairs become a daily event. Any vehicle is going to be a financial burden once the miles start piling up into the 100k range

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Need I remind everyone that the 1941 Willy’s MB had a 2.2L four cylinder, making the current four cylinder more “true” to Jeep heritage. ;)

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
Need I remind everyone that the 1941 Willy’s MB had a 2.2L four cylinder, making the current four cylinder more “true” to Jeep heritage. ;)
It wasn't DI...

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
Your GTI is a 2011 and you say you put 3k miles a month on your car. So do you have 200 k miles on it? My 2.0 Turbo Allroad has 37k trouble free miles . I am fortunate to not have to keep cars to the point where they have accumulated so many miles that repairs become a daily event. Any vehicle is going to be a financial burden once the miles start piling up into the 100k range
Not true, I sold my GTI with 286K on the odometer, it still had the original clutch, the brakes lasted 157K before being replaced. The intake and low pressure fuel pump became an issue at 60K.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Not true, I sold my GTI with 286K on the odometer, it still had the original clutch, the brakes lasted 157K before being replaced. The intake and low pressure fuel pump became an issue at 60K.
I have underwear with that kind of mileage but I have never kept a car that long.

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
Did you test drive one with a 3.6L in it? That thing will jump off the line. I've never been in a 2.0L one but that V6 will jump off the line and when you are driving normal and then punch it it moves.
yes I test drove a 3.6 and it was good very powerful, I was surprised based on the way it moved a 2.5 ton truck. For my needs the turbo 2.0 ticks all the boxes

Sponsored

NukaCola

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Turbocharged 2.0
Occupation
Mechanic Service Advisor
Vehicle Showcase
2.0 Hands down.
Have drove both, the 2.0 IS easier to accelerate, has more torque altogether and better on gas. I normally get between 25-35MPG. This turbo isn't new technology just because they slapped it on a JLU.
No reliability issues like the others claim. Does great off-road on on the road as well and I have dogged the crap out of it off-road.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
2.0 Hands down.
Have drove both, the 2.0 IS easier to accelerate, has more torque altogether and better on gas. I normally get between 25-35MPG. This turbo isn't new technology just because they slapped it on a JLU.
No reliability issues like the others claim. Does great off-road on on the road as well and I have dogged the crap out of it off-road.
68E55011-A1E5-4AC5-93E2-C8580DFF0C1E.gif

NukaCola

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Turbocharged 2.0
Occupation
Mechanic Service Advisor
Vehicle Showcase
Im just now getting back to this forum after a year, I can comment and put my piece out there lmfao. The post was still up. God forbid someone use the internet like its intended. I didnt see the date it was suggested to me when I logged in

Sponsored