Sponsored

Been out of a Wrangler for 2 years. Ready to get back in. WANT 4 cyl. CHANGE MY MIND!

Jeep Number 8

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hard Top and 2018 BMW 430i Hard top convertible.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I know its out there. Check out this video and change my mind. My son thinks stick to what I know, I think mods and daily driving and think 2.0 all day. HELP!!!
One reply said the mpg is a wash. This is not true. My 2018 JLU 3.6L averaged 18 to 19 mpg. My 2019 JLU 2.0L averages 21 mpg and has gotten as much as 24 mpg.
Sponsored

JLU138

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon , 2014 JKU Rubicon
If you plan on doing any significant rock crawling, run from the 2.0 like itā€™s the plague. If you are just cruising around town or doing some light off roading, then the 2.0 is great. Lots of pep, even hauls butt up the mountain highways. Does 80 mph up a grade like itā€™s nothing; big change from my ā€˜14 JKUR.
I always intended to custom order mine with the 3.6, but the dealer had a Rubicon built on the lot to the exact specs and color I was going to order EXCEPT it had the 2.0.
ā€œIā€™m not sure about a turbo engine while rock crawling, what about turbo lagā€, I wondered ?
ā€œOh, well at low speeds the e torque electric engine kicks in and just pushes you up the rocks without hardly pressing the pedalā€, they replied.
ā€œMakes sense to me !ā€ I stupidly exclaimed, my dream Jeep glistening in the sun ready to be driven off the lot that very day.
Problem is, it appears that the alternator canā€™t seem to handle the power drain the engine produces during extended low speed, high torque situations. You know, like rock crawling. 5,000 miles and Iā€™m bringing it in a second time tomorrow. On several occasions now the entire electric system starts shutting down. First the media, then the climate, and so on. The first time the entire engine shut down and refused to start for 10 minutes. Now I know to turn off the engine and let it re charge before it gets to that point. Kind of scary though on the side of a narrow trail with a sheer drop to one side. So maybe I just got a lemon, but I think Iā€™m just one of the first Rubicon owners with a 2.0 that actually uses the vehicle for what itā€™s intended ( no judgement, those first few scratches in my pretty new Jeep were painful ), and thatā€™s why my dealer hasnā€™t come across these problems yet.
Iā€™ll let you know what they find!

05B2B320-43C2-45D3-8D6D-D6B9C6BFF984.jpeg

Last edited:

rcc1123

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I know its out there. Check out this video and change my mind. My son thinks stick to what I know, I think mods and daily driving and think 2.0 all day. HELP!!!
I got the '4 banger' in my Sahara and could not be happier. Plenty of torque off road and man, can you surprise some folks after stopping at a red light. That thing goes like a bat out of hell (well, for a Jeep anyway :LOL:),

Javikid

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
I bought a brand new 2018 2.0 Sport S daily driver (about 65 miles a day). Iā€™m up to 15,000 miles in about 9 months. Got the Mopar lift with 20s and 37s at 5k and so far NO issues. Love the way it drives and feels on the road and averaging 22mpg with premium. Hopefully I wonā€™t have any issues since Iā€™m planning in keeping it for ever

1117A2B9-9384-4593-8298-FC8E42A1BF28.jpeg

T43

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
My trip B odometer was reset when I drove off the lot. 3600 later my 2019 V6 is averaging 26 MPG. I have hand checked the numbers and my best was 28 with almost all 55/65 highway. Running 4 low its dropped to 19 MPG. For a JLU I'm pretty happy with the mileage numbers from the V6. It has plenty of power and costs less off the lot.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
If you plan on doing any significant rock crawling, run from the 2.0 like itā€™s the plague. If you are just cruising around town or doing some light off roading, then the 2.0 is great. Lots of pep, even hauls butt up the mountain highways. Does 80 mph up a grade like itā€™s nothing; big change from my ā€˜14 JKUR.
I always intended to custom order mine with the 3.6, but the dealer had a Rubicon built on the lot to the exact specs and color I was going to order EXCEPT it had the 2.0.
ā€œIā€™m not sure about a turbo engine while rock crawling, what about turbo lagā€, I wondered ?
ā€œOh, well at low speeds the e torque electric engine kicks in and just pushes you up the rocks without hardly pressing the pedalā€, they replied.
ā€œMakes sense to me !ā€ I stupidly exclaimed, my dream Jeep glistening in the sun ready to be driven off the lot that very day.
Problem is, it appears that the alternator canā€™t seem to handle the power drain the engine produces during extended low speed, high torque situations. You know, like rock crawling. 5,000 miles and Iā€™m bringing it in a second time tomorrow. On several occasions now the entire electric system starts shutting down. First the media, then the climate, and so on. The first time the entire engine shut down and refused to start for 10 minutes. Now I know to turn off the engine and let it re charge before it gets to that point. Kind of scary though on the side of a narrow trail with a sheer drop to one side. So maybe I just got a lemon, but I think Iā€™m just one of the first Rubicon owners with a 2.0 that actually uses the vehicle for what itā€™s intended ( no judgement, those first few scratches in my pretty new Jeep were painful ), and thatā€™s why my dealer hasnā€™t come across these problems yet.

Not quite sure about the plague. Mine is just fine up on the rocks. Iā€™m sure they will get it fixed for you. Mine is used quite well for its intended use. Sounds like you got a one off. No way in this altitude I would own the V6 again. My JLUR was such a step ahead of my JKs it was crazy but a turd vs my turbo up here. No contest. Whatsoever.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0

This is an eTorque issue, not a 2.0 issue.

JLU138

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon , 2014 JKU Rubicon
Not quite sure about the plague. Mine is just fine up on the rocks. Iā€™m sure they will get it fixed for you. Mine is used quite well for its intended use. Sounds like you got a one off. No way in this altitude I would own the V6 again. My JLUR was such a step ahead of my JKs it was crazy but a turd vs my turbo up here. No contest. Whatsoever.
Good point. When it works itā€™s great. And at 10,000 feet in elevation the 2.0 has a big advantage. I just hope they fix the e torque issue. Another poster noted that that is the issue. To be fair I have to be crawling for two or three hours straight before it has problems

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
This is an eTorque issue, not a 2.0 issue.
Correct, and is changing in 2020 where the only 2.0 that can be ordered with eTorque is the Sahara. They dropped it for the Rubicon.

I can tell you that I saw a Facebook post where a rental company that rents our 2.0 and 3.6 Rubicons for crawling (think Moab) says they have seen repeated issues with the cooling lines on the 2.0T being damaged. I suspect this is just one more reason why no more eTorque with the Rubicon and I think it's a good move.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Correct, and is changing in 2020 where the only 2.0 that can be ordered with eTorque is the Sahara. They dropped it for the Rubicon.

I can tell you that I saw a Facebook post where a rental company that rents our 2.0 and 3.6 Rubicons for crawling (think Moab) says they have seen repeated issues with the cooling lines on the 2.0T being damaged. I suspect this is just one more reason why no more eTorque with the Rubicon and I think it's a good move.
Do you have any photos or a link? This is the first I have heard of cooling line damage.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
JUST TAKE LOOK AT THE SERVICE intervals and what actually needs replacement and cost of part & time
if your not sure about what you want maybe wait for the 6cylnder turbo if you don't mind waiting for it and dealing with a turbo cost & list of things that need a little more attention
Other than the 2.0 requiring new spark plugs every 30,000 the maintenance schedules look the identical.

upload_2018-4-25_22-46-36.png

upload_2018-4-25_22-46-53.png

upload_2018-4-25_22-47-12.png

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Do you have any photos or a link? This is the first I have heard of cooling line damage.
It's posted in a closed Facebook JL owners group so I cannot link to it, but the poster said they have a dozen JL 3.6 and a dozen JL 2.0 Rubicons. The 3.6's and 2.0's have had wiring harness issues due to vibration over time.

She said the only other issue with the 2.0 were leaks with the coolant system (user inflicted) that cause the MGU to overheat and shut off. Once the leak is fixed (no matter how small) the MGU is fine. She said it can be tough to get a dealer to even find the leak because some of them are very small/fine.

I do know this company rents out of Moab (I believe some other trails) because I rented a 3.6 Rubicon from them to do Moab.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
I just rented a 2019 4 cylinder in the North Carolina hills, near Gaston Lake, a few weeks ago and it was one of my top 5 sports car driving experiences ever!

Once I got the Jeep to Harbor Freight to buy the door and top removal tools, the Jeep Unlimited Sport felt like a cross between a motorcycle and a sports car.

But definitely not a Jeep.

The magic was the electric boost motor that you can only now get on the Sahara in 2020.

So, if you are looking for a "Jeep" experience, it's a no-brainer to pass on the 4 cylinder.

But, if you are looking for a paved back road toy, without having to incur bumper-to-bumper traffic that will eat up your electric boost motor battery, then go for it!

Myself, I just bought a 2020 Rubicon with the V/6 because I want to have a :Jeep: experience and also not get laughed at for driving a 4 cylinder....
What an embarrassing insipid post. Congrats on winning the #1 asshat of the day award.
Sponsored