Sponsored

Been out of a Wrangler for 2 years. Ready to get back in. WANT 4 cyl. CHANGE MY MIND!

TAMN

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I know its out there. Check out this video and change my mind. My son thinks stick to what I know, I think mods and daily driving and think 2.0 all day. HELP!!!
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly you’ll just get a bunch of biased answers on here.

In the end, a wrangler is a wrangler, regardless of motor, you can mod the crap out of them. It’s really a toss up. I got the 3.6 along with 90% of this forum. There was a poll awhile back.

Either way, you’re off to a great start as you’ve obviously begun to do research. Continue and go with what you feel is a better fit for you.

Now for the biased part:

3.6 ALL DAY BABY!

LOL

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Like you, I’m looking at both. Rent a turbo and a six if you can, for a few days. I was convinced the six was the way to go, but the turbo I rented was just excellent as was the mpgs.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
I just rented a 2019 4 cylinder in the North Carolina hills, near Gaston Lake, a few weeks ago and it was one of my top 5 sports car driving experiences ever!

Once I got the Jeep to Harbor Freight to buy the door and top removal tools, the Jeep Unlimited Sport felt like a cross between a motorcycle and a sports car.

But definitely not a Jeep.

The magic was the electric boost motor that you can only now get on the Sahara in 2020.

So, if you are looking for a "Jeep" experience, it's a no-brainer to pass on the 4 cylinder.

But, if you are looking for a paved back road toy, without having to incur bumper-to-bumper traffic that will eat up your electric boost motor battery, then go for it!

Myself, I just bought a 2020 Rubicon with the V/6 because I want to have a :Jeep: experience and also not get laughed at for driving a 4 cylinder....

Fays4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Z71
Just test drive them both a bunch back to back, I went through the same struggle. At the end of the day for me it boiled down to A- the tried and true V6 or B- roll the dice on the motor that I personally found more fun to drive. The dealership threw in an 84 month 100k mile extended bumper to bumper factory warranty so I went with what I personally found to be the more entertaining motor. 2.0 Turbo. Had the dealer not thrown in that warranty I probably would have gotten the V6.

Sponsored

xEDGEx

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR 2.0L Turbo
I went to the dealership pretty much set on the V6, but after driving both versions back to back, the V6 just felt sluggish. I wasn't expecting to like the 2.0L turbo as much as I did, and the quick acceleration adds another layer of fun on an already fun experience :) The increase in mpg for daily driving is pretty sweet too.

Downsides to the 2.0L so far are the sound or lack of - the high pitched whine took some getting used to after previously driving an Xterra/V6 with throaty exhaust for a decade. Although a positive to the quiet engine and exhaust note is auto start stop seems much less jarring. Another downside is lack of performance related after market support..so far. There seems to be a lot more intake and exhaust options for the V6 as it's been around for so long.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
It’s easy. Want manual transmission? If so, you’ll have to get the V6. Are you going to keep it forever? Or like six years past the warranty? Get the V6.

Barring those two considerations, there’s no need to convince you of anything... get whichever tickles your fancy.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

SABLE RHINO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S 3.6L
Just test drive them both a bunch back to back, I went through the same struggle. At the end of the day for me it boiled down to A- the tried and true V6 or B- roll the dice on the motor that I personally found more fun to drive. The dealership threw in an 84 month 100k mile extended bumper to bumper factory warranty so I went with what I personally found to be the more entertaining motor. 2.0 Turbo. Had the dealer not thrown in that warranty I probably would have gotten the V6.
Your lab looks ripped! Is he working out?

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
To me I think 90% of owners wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. However there are 2 instances where one is better than the other.

1. If you’re the type of person who generally does all your own repairs (not just oil changes but true mechanical fixes), the V6 will just be an easier engine to work on because it’s simpler.
2. If you plan to regularly drive your Jeep at high altitude, the 4 cyl will be much better. Engines naturally become less efficient when there is less oxygen. I’ve read that above 10k ft, an engine only has 1/2 the HP it has at sea level. Turbos combat this by forcing additional air into the engine, thereby experiencing a less dramatic HP loss. So you plan regular trips into the Rockies, get the 4 cyl.

But honestly if you don’t fall into either of these categories, get whichever engine you can find a better deal on.

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I have driven both now and I am set on the manual. I haven’t driven a manual in over 20 years and I was grinning ear to ear during that drive.

I’d echo what many have said.
V6 is cheaper and likely going to be more reliable over time. Gas mileage sucks a bit and if you’re going to drive at high altitudes the power will be even more lacking.

Turbo is faster with better gas mileage (though not so good that you will ever make up the price premium). It’s ridiculously expensive and probably will have long term reliability issues. Especially if it has etorque.

For me. The V6 manual is fun and saves me a ton of money. My trade off is I won’t lift it or put bigger tires simply because I don’t want to worsen the gas mileage. I also probably won’t go over 55 on the highway again to increase my mileage. That’s my trade off.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
The 3.6 V6 is the same size as the JK's old 3.6 V6, but it's not the same engine. https://www.pentastars.com/engines/PUG.php
I'm sure people like me knew it was the PUG, and I based my decision on tried and true technology, be it also an upgrade, versus a brand new engine with no tried and true technology. Also, you need to get yourself a JL:like:

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
The 2.0 is not faster and the mpg is a wash. Its faster to 60mph but the 3.6 does better up top. They both have the same 1/4mile time. You need premium fuel to get the advertised mpg out of the 2.0, which makes the 3.6 cheaper.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
The 2.0 is awesome and torque is avail right from idle. No turbo lag, you'd hardly notice it even has a turbo as the power is strong and smooth all the way up. It'll bark 35" tires off the line, great for low speed rock climbing and hill climbing.
Runs perfectly well and is approved to use 87 octane fuel. and while some say there's benefits to running 93, tried multiple tanks of 93 and noticed nothing that warrants the extra $0.50+/gal for premium.
If you must have a stick, the only option is the 3.6, the 2.0 is automatic only. I will say though the 8 speed auto is one of the smoothest and best autos I've ever driven. It all works great when you hit the mud and rocks too!!

That said, if you are ordering new, the 2020 doesn't have the mild hybrid for the 2.0l unless you want the Sahara. Not sure if the performance is the same without the electric assist. Drive both, either is a good choice.

Last edited:

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Go for the turbo - you know you want it! I've had four vehicles now with them new fangled turbocharger thingamijigs that all the younguns are talking about. Only one ever needed a turbo repair, and that was 15 years ago.

I put 160K on an Audi 2.0T, no turbo issues
I put 90K on a second Audi 2.0T, no turbo issues
I only put 15K on my Ford RS with a 2.3T, no turbo issues.
Only the old Saab 9-5 had an issue, but that was a well documented issue of Saab not cooling the turbo well enough - the next year after the one I had they added a separate cooling line to it to cure that problem. the Saab was a 1995 if I recall.

Turbos are not exactly new technology - once everyone figured out how to lubricate/cool them they are pretty robust. Plus boost is just so much fun to play with, and opens opportunities down the line to crank up the boost and get more power.
Sponsored