Sponsored

Becoming too much of a Jeep guy, too quick.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I don't even have mine yet....and I am already a total convert from my Cherokee.

I've been a sports car guy. I barely have any interest in my Shelby anymore lol. Gonna get a classic 911 when the markets calm down and then call it a day. Modern Wrangler + Classic Porsche. Done.
Ive had my SLK 230 convertible for 20 years. Jeeps werenā€™t on my radar till my wife needed a car,
so I got myself a Wrangler as my everyday retired vehicle and my 230 as my Sunday drive...šŸ˜Ž
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
...or am I condemned to drive Jeeps for the rest of my life...?
condemned
/kənĖˆdemd/

adjective

sentenced to a particular punishment, especially death.

Easy there, tiger... using the C-word like that again will get you bounced outta this forum. ;)

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Same thing happened to me last August LOL
My uncle is a Jeep guy with a severely upgraded JKUR and I enjoyed off-roading with him but I never felt that obsession. But then six months ago, out of the blue, I randomly got obsessed with everything Jeep wrangler. All day of watching YouTube videos and reading about jeep. About five weeks later I drove off the lot in a 2021 firecracker JLUR and I canā€™t even think of owning another type of vehicle anymore.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wrangler Sport S 80th Edition
Iā€™m not going to say anything that others havenā€™t already said, but: I use to never get the appeal of bigger vehicles, I only liked sports cars (from hot-hatches to muscle cars). Randomly looked at Wrangler videos on YouTube one night about 6 weeks ago and fell into an obsession hole that led me to buying my first Wrangler two weeks ago, in my mid-30s.

Now Iā€™m not sure I care about any other vehicle.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
am I normal if, all of a sudden, only Jeeps are interesting to me?
Bonjour JƩrƓme

Better question, who cares in this particular case if you're normal or not, and by the way I think you are.

To ask the question in generic terms, is it normal for some things in life to hit you and you are immediately hooked? Of course. We've all tried foods for the first time and became fans instantly rather than it being an acquired taste--not that there's anything wrong with taking time to like something, particular something complex like a person or large entity with lots of moving parts.

But suppose it wasn't normal. Normal is overrated. Normal is what, statically a large range of the population would do or be measured at. If your pulseox isn't normal, that's a problem. If you hoard things abnormally to the point of your dwelling being a fire hazard, that's a problem. But when you exercise interests, even unique ones that most others don't share (and by the way, loving Wranglers would no way be an example) that don't cause you harm or interfere with the quality of your life, whether you're so called normal or not: who cares. These are the situations where, as long as your actions hurt no other (say you love to watch airplanes land) don't live for public opinion, live for you.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I had wanted a Wrangler for at least 10 years, but always considered them to be impractical, bad handling and unless you wanted to spend all kinds of time off roading, there was not much point. I also read Consumer Reports and other magazines talking about how uncivilized they were.

So, I test drove a few other cars that I had also admired, such as the Golf GTI and the Supra. However, I was somewhat resistant to even test driving the Wrangler, not sure why.

One day, drove by the dealership and saw my Jeep (In the picture). I just knew it was mine. Sure, there are trade-offs ... handling, fuel economy, bumpy ride. But, I have not had this much pleasure driving since my first car.

Owning a Wrangler is not all great ... they can be temperamental. But, the good definitely outweighs the bad. Just donā€™t expect your non-Wrangler friends to understand. I run ultramarathons, so no one understands that either, I am used to it.

Buy your rig and show it off to us!

Rubi II

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I was addicted back in Sep. 2020 with the arrival of my JLUR...Now I smile every time I drive it! Welcome to the addiction!! Enjoy!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I love threads like this, Jeeps rock, you either get it or you don't. OP, glad you got it!

mgarciaknight

First Name
MG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU80
Its been nothing but Jeep for me since 1995, with that beautiful Moss Green Cherokee. First Wrangler was a 2011 JK, then 2016 JKU Sahara, and now 2021 JKU80.

Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I mean... the CR-V is a fantastic vehicle - recently drove one over 5,000 miles across the US. Incredible gas mileage, comfortable and had near perfect centering of the steering wheel the entire time.. We chose not to drive the WRX because it would've been a total nightmare over that distance.

Now that we have the Jeep, the CR-V definitely seems outdated (mind you, there's a 5 year difference). However, there's a reason Honda has such loyalty.
If the CRV is outdated then think what a solid axle vehicle is .. the point Im trying to make is that its hard to compare things like these vehicles ...U're always going to have to give up something form one to another .. Do what make u happy

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I mean... the CR-V is a fantastic vehicle - recently drove one over 5,000 miles across the US. Incredible gas mileage, comfortable and had near perfect centering of the steering wheel the entire time.. We chose not to drive the WRX because it would've been a total nightmare over that distance.

Now that we have the Jeep, the CR-V definitely seems outdated (mind you, there's a 5 year difference). However, there's a reason Honda has such loyalty.
i always look at a CR-V as a ā€œhard to find a fault withā€ car ... this holds true for pretty much all Honda, Toyota, Mazda and other brands. However, they donā€™t tend to create excitement, unless you opt for their thrill car (Supra, Civic SI or Miata). Everyone see them as practical, sensible ways to get around.

I can see why people look at Wrangler owners as crazy. It does require a certain level of commitment to overlook its issues and to pay dearly for the privilege of doing so. It is especially true for a 2 door ... cramped, extra bumpy, blows around like a kite in the wind. But, I canā€™t wait to drive it whenever possible!

mgarciaknight

First Name
MG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU80
Its been nothing but Jeep for me since 1995, with that beautiful Moss Green Cherokee. First Wrangler was a 2011 JK, then 2016 JKU Sahara, and now 2021 JKU80.
Blasphemy, I called it a JKU80! Dont hate me guys, typing too fast. You know I meant JLU80, lol

FrostySerb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Ram 2500 Mega-Cab LongHorn Cummins
There is no going back / Iā€™ve loved wranglers since I was a kid and bought one when I was 22 ... Iā€™ve owned 4 since then

Decided to buy a pickup and love it but ... couldnā€™t stay away from the wrangler

driving it just feels right
Sponsored