Sponsored

Bearwallow, WV - Helmet Required. Anyone recommend a helmet?

Jeep Hair

First Name
Bree
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Gonna hit up Bearwallow later this week and I need to order a helmet ASAP, as it's a requirement (in addition to permit). Wondering if any of you know what type of helmet would be appropriate for Jeepers? Surely not a dirt bike helmet?

Edit: Just doing the easy trails because my tires are not trail rated. Also, should I have posted this in General? New here, go easy on me!
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Gonna hit up Bearwallow later this week and I need to order a helmet ASAP, as it's a requirement (in addition to permit). Wondering if any of you know what type of helmet would be appropriate for Jeepers? Surely not a dirt bike helmet?

Edit: Just doing the easy trails because my tires are not trail rated. Also, should I have posted this in General? New here, go easy on me!
Best motorcycle helmet I ever owned was this one from AGV. Lightweight making it easy to wear for extended periods, has a drop down visor for built in protection from the sun, and the best part was the way the sides curve upward compared to most other helmets. It vastly improves head movement, whereas regular flatter bottomed ones would constantly hit shoulders and collarbone.

It also has great cooling due to vents all over.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bearwallow, WV - Helmet Required. Anyone recommend a  helmet? Screenshot_20200818-095149_CM Browser

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
You have to wear a helmet even in an enclosed vehicle? That kinda sucks
It is straight up stupid. I have done Bearwallow many times on an ATV. It was easy then and I can't believe that it is tough now. Hell they maintained the trail back in my ATV days with a dozer.

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
It is straight up stupid. I have done Bearwallow many times on an ATV. It was easy then and I can't believe that it is tough now. Hell they maintained the trail back in my ATV days with a dozer.
And i thought california was bad with helmets in side by sides. Thats like a new level

OP
OP
Jeep Hair

Jeep Hair

First Name
Bree
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
At Bearwallow it is. And every passenger has to have one as well. And every passenger also has to have a $50 permit, which I think you're supposed to display on the back of said helmet.

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
I was there last week I DO NOT RECOMMEND waisting your money or time there! All the green, blue and black trails are flat and nothing to do and nothing to see. The double black diamond trails are too difficult to even complete in a somewhat built Jeep! Take your money somewhere else. As for the helmet I didn’t wear one. You don’t really even need one if you’re not going to do any of the trails

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Gonna hit up Bearwallow later this week and I need to order a helmet ASAP, as it's a requirement (in addition to permit).
Yeah, I was just planning a trip to Logan. Been there a bunch of times in an 18-wheeler, but in a Jeep it would be fun. 460 to 77 to 54 to 97 to 10. Bam! I've been as far as Oceana many times, but I always wondered about the road between Oceana and Logan.

I guess I'm not going to find out. I'm not driving 3.5 hours one way to a place that makes me wear a helmet when I have a fucking roll cage. Besides, I have no intention of attempting anything that would remotely result in the utilization of my roll cage.

I kind of forgive them though. Several cities in West Virginia were hiring new cops recently, and the starting pay was $8.00 an hour. I know people who drive two hours to work one way for a job paying $7.50 an hour, as a store manager. That state is gorgeous, but it's fucking BROKE!

I wonder what the fine is for not wearing a helmet? That's the real point. There are tons of towns in the Hillbilly that will write you a ticket all day long for 1 mph over, but if you call to pay it, you find out that the town treasurer is also the town judge, and none of that shit will ever make it onto your driving record as long as you pay the toll.

It's kind of funny, really. Driving out to Jolo in a gasoline tanker on US 52, the road is shit, and fourwheelers (ie. everything that isn't a big truck) are losing their shit to pass you on the wrong side of a double yellow in a blind curve, and then you roll into Jerkwater Junction, and end up riding that fourwheeler's ass as he goes 30 in a 35, because he does NOT want to pay the toll, and he KNOWS.

Well, fuck them anyway. I just decided not to explore the state next door on this vacation. I will find shit to put scratches on my brand new Jeep in my own damn state. Fucking fuckers. I understand why they're fucking fuckers, but fuck those fucking fuckers anyway! :LOL:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep Hair

Jeep Hair

First Name
Bree
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Yeah, I was just planning a trip to Logan. Been there a bunch of times in an 18-wheeler, but in a Jeep it would be fun. 460 to 77 to 54 to 97 to 10. Bam! I've been as far as Oceana many times, but I always wondered about the road between Oceana and Logan.

I guess I'm not going to find out. I'm not driving 3.5 hours one way to a place that makes me wear a helmet when I have a fucking roll cage. Besides, I have no intention of attempting anything that would remotely result in the utilization of my roll cage.

I kind of forgive them though. Several cities in West Virginia were hiring new cops recently, and the starting pay was $8.00 an hour. I know people who drive two hours to work one way for a job paying $7.50 an hour, as a store manager. That state is gorgeous, but it's fucking BROKE!

I wonder what the fine is for not wearing a helmet? That's the real point. There are tons of towns in the Hillbilly that will write you a ticket all day long for 1 mph over, but if you call to pay it, you find out that the town treasurer is also the town judge, and none of that shit will ever make it onto your driving record as long as you pay the toll.

It's kind of funny, really. Driving out to Jolo in a gasoline tanker on US 52, the road is shit, and fourwheelers (ie. everything that isn't a big truck) are losing their shit to pass you on the wrong side of a double yellow in a blind curve, and then you roll into Jerkwater Junction, and end up riding that fourwheeler's ass as he goes 30 in a 35, because he does NOT want to pay the toll, and he KNOWS.

Well, fuck them anyway. I just decided not to explore the state next door on this vacation. I will find shit to put scratches on my brand new Jeep in my own damn state. Fucking fuckers. I understand why they're fucking fuckers, but fuck those fucking fuckers anyway! :LOL:
We wound up going there, without helmets. Other Jeepers there also had no helmet and wasn't aware of the rule. There was nobody there policing it. We went on the trails anyway, had a great time.

I get ya though, I don't want to drive out of state to find a nice trail that might not allow you access. If it wasn't part of the Jeep Badge of Honor program, I would have skipped it. I really wanted my badge though.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I get ya though, I don't want to drive out of state to find a nice trail that might not allow you access.
Especially not to Logan. A buddy of mine's brother lives in WV, has been around, and is a good source of advice. While consulting him on the best way to Logan, he paused, thought about it a moment, and said, "Helicopter!"

Sure, my Jeep can handle it, but there are coal buckets and log trucks driving like maniacs, then going off mountains at 5 mph. It's a pretty big gamble to get to a place that is also a gamble. I think I'll pass.

I thought about it since my rant, and I realized there are so many idiots from NYC in Jeeps from Enterprise that it probably does make sense to make everybody wear a helmet.

Same thing with the zip lines. I was all set to go on a zip line trail until I saw the pictures of all the people padded up wearing football helmets. If there is no chance of falling to my death, and I have minders in front of me and behind me to shuffle me around and keep me safe, where is the fun?

I grew up swinging on grape vines. One broke, and I ended up on the roof of an automotive shop. The guy was pissed, but I was ready with my standard fake phone number. You could get away with that, back then. Kids didn't have social security cards, or ID cards. I got busted climbing up the side of a building on a college campus too. My dumb ass didn't think about the fact that I was climbing past a bunch of windows.

I guess now that I'm almost 50, I'm rediscovering the stupidity of my youth. I raised my kids. My wife hauled ass and dumped me for a druggie who is "interesting." I may as well try to have some fun before I'm dead, the way I used to before I got bogged down with responsibilities.

Sorry for the ramble. I'm under the affluence of inkahol. :LOL:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have since been to Bearwallow with the Jeep. I dam near had to drive by it on my way home from Uwharrie in North Carolina. So we stopped in spent the night at the campground right by the entrance of the park.

The rule board list that helmets have to be worn. We brought helmets with us. The trails that we ran were the black and blue trails. The double black trails were all overgrown so we did not run them. The trails were very smooth and not much of a challenge. It was expensive. It was over $100 for the permits for my wife and I. It was literally a one and done trail system in the Jeep. I will not stop in again even though I will drive by it at least 6 times this year on my way to North Carolina.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bearwallow, WV - Helmet Required. Anyone recommend a  helmet? 1620315406493

Jeep Wrangler JL Bearwallow, WV - Helmet Required. Anyone recommend a  helmet? 1620315455097

Jeep Wrangler JL Bearwallow, WV - Helmet Required. Anyone recommend a  helmet? 1620315513582

Jeep Wrangler JL Bearwallow, WV - Helmet Required. Anyone recommend a  helmet? 1620315567307

This trail was listed as a difficult trail.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bearwallow, WV - Helmet Required. Anyone recommend a  helmet? 1620315650273