First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
So I am headed to Colorado to do some camping in my Jeep. Got a bear proof lifetime cooler for the cold stuff. What do you all use for non cooled food stuff to keep it sealed from bears? I was thinking about getting a second small cooler to keep this stuff? Cheaper than getting a bear container. Interested to hear your thoughts.
Thanks
Sponsored

omg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
bears are persistent.

secure your garbage. leave it in the jeep. [overnight or if you are leaving the camp area]
if it is a soft top, either burn garbage or leave it out and douse it with ammonia. otherwise you will end up picking up trash all over the camp area or around.
seal your food, i put everything in the massive cooler and lock it.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
So I am headed to Colorado to do some camping in my Jeep. Got a bear proof lifetime cooler for the cold stuff. What do you all use for non cooled food stuff to keep it sealed from bears? I was thinking about getting a second small cooler to keep this stuff? Cheaper than getting a bear container. Interested to hear your thoughts.
Thanks
Put it in a bag and hang it from a tree.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
We have a hardtop and a regular Igloo cooler but we’ll have kitchen stuff and dry goods in some Husky clear top 20 gallon totes that have a rubber seal. We picked those up at Home Depot. No eating or smelly clothes near camp.

I was going to camp in the Absaroka’s and one isolated 5 site camp in Yellowstone then chickened out with having my 3 kids with me. Looking at the Grizzly population density maps I canceled our camp reservations. lol Freaked myself out. We now have scent free toiletries, hygiene products ready to go. Bear spray holstered too.

We are camping in Montana outside GNP in a small town and also camp in a large multiple site campground in NW Yellowstone but that feels safer. Surely there’s somebody slower than us there.:like:

So with Colorado passing gun laws saying each municipality can have it’s own (stricter than state only) laws…sounds like they’re trying to make it easy to comply. They’re the only state I’m concerned about of the 5 we’re visiting.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
I've wondered the same thing. After many (many) years of backpacking in the Sierra I've learned how to properly store food and have never had any taken. But car camping (AKA "overlanding") is a different story. I also have a locking cooler but can't fit all the food in it. Bears will tear your vehicle apart even if they just smell food, hardtop or not. So far most of my trips have been in the desert areas and no bears. I would also like to know what others are doing in bear country.

Put it in a bag and hang it from a tree.
We used to do this backpacking before bear canisters came out. It was a pain with only backpacking food and can't image trying with camping food. It also has to be done right using a counter balance method. Bears are smart. Any hanging ropes and Yogi gets your food.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I live in bear country. If you can, then get a second bear proof cooler. It will be the best and most versatile option. Put your food trash in a bag and back into the cooler.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t leave anything tempting inside the Jeep. No matter how sealed.

If a bear gets a whiff of it, it will destroy your Jeep to get to it, without even trying.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I hope they have bear proof containers at the camp sites.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’ve learned along the way and I’m definitely giving it thought but it almost seems that I need to leave the camping stove, food, etc at home for three weeks. lol

So I need a bear proof cooler/container to chain it to a tree 100 yards away. Eat 100 yards away from camp. Degrease and wipe down the inside of my hardtop/Jeep from cooking on the tailgate. Change my clothes after eating. It’s more like we’re visiting the CDC labs lol. I’ve already told everyone no snacks in the tent, eating around camp and clean up. We bought Pine Sol because we’ve heard Bears don’t like the smell. I’ve heard the same of Ammonia. Thoughts?

We’re camping once in the Badlands, once in the Black Hills, once in Bighorn, once outside GNP, & once NW of Yellowstone.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
So with Colorado passing gun laws saying each municipality can have it’s own laws…sounds like they’re trying to make it easy to comply.
Said humorously, right? :)

We're wondering how a patchwork of such laws could be anything but a confusing mess as it concerns adhering to each one.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Said humorously, right? :)

We're wondering how a patchwork of such laws could be anything but a confusing mess as it concerns adhering to each one.
Yes. It was dripping with sarcasm. lol

Deleted member 59098

Don’t leave any food or drinks in your vehicle. Use a bear box if provided, or bear canisters. I’m a part time Lake Tahoe resident. Bear are everywhere here. I don’t even leave gum in my vehicle overnight.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I've lived next to grizzly bears most of my life. They really don't want to eat you. The most danger is hiking and surprising a sow with cubs. Unholster your bear spray, talk to the bear and slowly back away. As far as camping goes, keep a clean camp and hang your food bag at least 15 feet off the ground. If you are in a national park, GNP for instance, they have new rules for campers every year. One year bear proof coolers can be left out, next year, they are coolers and must be stored. Find out the rules where you are and do your best to comply. You are way more at risk walking the streets in the city than camping in the mountains and getting eaten by a bear. BTW your gun is way better protection against the two legged varmints than it is against a bear. Get the giant size bear spray and keep it handy, not in your backpack. Fear the people, enjoy the bears.
Sponsored