beadlock torque sticks

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Is there such a thing? I just got DirtyLife wheels...I can only at a glance see high torque sticks. I would love to find the two stages I need for beadlocks...make life nice and easy. Is it too low of a torque setting to be reliable?
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I bet the adjustment on a cordless drill could get in that range. Regardless you’d want to hit them with a torque wrench after.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Is that one ugga dugga or 2 ugga duggas?

Jeep Wrangler JL beadlock torque sticks IMG_20210712_103031_153

Edit: I'm a bigger fan of a torque wrench to know what's going on.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I have the large set of Harbor Freight Torque sticks, they rate well as far as accuracy, but IME it's best to use 1 torque stick 10 ft lbs less than the final torque and then just torque to spec w/ the hand torque wrench. I've tried using 2 sticks, like a 90 then a 130, and the 130 didn't tighten as close to 130 as it did just going w/ the single 130 stick. AFAIK the nut needs to be loose for the torque limiting to work as designed.
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-torque-limiting-extension-bar-set-10-pc-69870.html

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
how do those torque extensions work? they look like a normal extension just painted a color, do they have some kind of spring loaded mechanism inside that allows it to spin at a certain torque load?

Edit: Nm google ftw.
Torque sticks, also referred to as a “torque limiting extension bar,” are an extension for your impact wrench, and they basically act as a shock absorber. They work on a torsion theory, which is just a fancy way of saying they flex at a certain rate, then stop applying torque when they reach a specified flex point.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
how do those torque extensions work? they look like a normal extension just painted a color, do they have some kind of spring loaded mechanism inside that allows it to spin at a certain torque load?

Edit: Nm google ftw.
Torque sticks, also referred to as a “torque limiting extension bar,” are an extension for your impact wrench, and they basically act as a shock absorber. They work on a torsion theory, which is just a fancy way of saying they flex at a certain rate, then stop applying torque when they reach a specified flex point.
Has to be a pretty strong impact wrench too, I have that Bauer corded impact and it works well w/ the sticks. It's pretty cool using them, I don't use them much but I tend to drive my 3 vehicles a similar amount and try do all my rotations (and oil changes) on the same day so it's a bit of a time saver. TBH I wouldn't get them again though, I just don't use more than a couple of them and the other 8 just collect dust. If I had an auto shop w/ a steady stream of cars to deal with they would be much more of a "must have".

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Are you talking about using torque sticks on the beadlock rings or the wheels themselves? Either way, use a real torque wrench. Way easier to tell if something is going wrong with the threads.

Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My results with the torque sticks have been hit or miss depending on which impact your using it with, how long you hold the triggers, impacts per minute etc. Doesn’t take me more than a min or two to use a torque wrench and it’s a piece of mind (plus saves a few bucks if you don’t end up buying the tq sticks)

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Are you talking about using torque sticks on the beadlock rings or the wheels themselves? Either way, use a real torque wrench. Way easier to tell if something is going wrong with the threads.
Definitely don't want to use an impact w/out running the nuts on a few threads first for sure!

OP
OP
mnjeeper

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I meant on the rings. I know it tightens in stages...I would love if an earlier stage can save some time.

Thanks to this thread I see some with more experience than me not wanting the option. Guess I have to put my laziness away.

I have the large set of Harbor Freight Torque sticks, they rate well as far as accuracy, but IME it's best to use 1 torque stick 10 ft lbs less than the final torque and then just torque to spec w/ the hand torque wrench. I've tried using 2 sticks, like a 90 then a 130, and the 130 didn't tighten as close to 130 as it did just going w/ the single 130 stick. AFAIK the nut needs to be loose for the torque limiting to work as designed.
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-torque-limiting-extension-bar-set-10-pc-69870.html
A set like this would all be much higher torque than the rings need.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Isn’t the torque spec on beadlock rings pretty low? First google hit says 10ft-lbs. as mentioned above just use the clutch on a cordless drill, that should get you really close and torque from there.

For tire rotation I have a small Dewalt impact that will put out about 40 Ft-lbs that I use for the first stage then a torque wrench from there.
Gregj

OP
OP
mnjeeper

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Isn’t the torque spec on beadlock rings pretty low? First google hit says 10ft-lbs. as mentioned above just use the clutch on a cordless drill, that should get you really close and torque from there.

For tire rotation I have a small Dewalt impact that will put out about 40 Ft-lbs that I use for the first stage then a torque wrench from there.
Gregj
Correct, it's much lower than the sticks I have seen. I may experiment with the drill clutch but I feel I would want to err on the side of light if I do that. As above...I'll deal with the torque wrench to be safe.
Sponsored