Sponsored

Beadlock regrets? am I overthinking it? please talk me out of it (or in to it, whatever you chose)

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So I have an opportunity to buy a set of Fuel covert beadlocks for a great price. I initially had decided to not go the beadlock route, because of price, and weight penalty just didnt seem worth it since I didnt wheel a ton. But I have always loved the look of them. Since I have found a set of beadlocks I really like for the price of regular rims, I'm now starting to second guess myself.

Has anyone had issues with finding shops to mount and balance beadlock wheels (I dont think fuel beadlock wheels can be mounted without being beadlocked)? Are there any issues with running them in a snowy, salty cold winter? Is it as simple as checking them every 3-4 months to ensure the locking ring is still properly torqued?
Sponsored

tjeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 TJ, '24 392
If you need beadlocks, you know. If you don't need them, don't get them.

I've had beadlocks now for about 20 years. They are heavy, and a lot of work to mount. No tire shop will do it, some 4x4 shops will. For many years I couldn't find a tire shop to balance them, now Discount Tire will do it.

For maintenance, I check the bolts at every tire rotation (3k miles) AND before and after every off road trip. If you drive in an area where there is road salt, I would recommend thinking about swapping out the bolts occasionally. I had a set of wheels I never changed the bolts on, and they corroded from the inside out. Snapped off one day, had 3 missing, never lost air. Some people suggest changing them annually. I think I'll change them at every tire change.

OP
OP

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
hmm, I guess I never assumed the hardware would corrode/snap. that definitely puts s damper on my enthusiasm for the deal I found. thank you tjeeper, you've definitely given me something to think about before I make a rash decision.
Sponsored