5adventurers

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 Toyota 4Runner, 1991 Toyota Pickup
Good information
You can also Google it, there is a website and its super easy. They'll mail it to you. We do it every year since they started charging for it

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah we go down every year. Now that we have the Jeep, might as well put it to work.

Although I'll say our Tahoe did great in the sand.......but that might have something to do with the fact I had a Master Driver rating while I was on active duty.

Sponsored

Waterloo

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray Sahara, 2006 Honda Pilot Silver
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, you only need to buy the $50 permit if you plan on parking on the beach. If you are just going to drive up the beach and back (or pull off the beach into one of the communities) you don't need a permit. Verified last month.

Make sure you air down. It's required, and while there's no one checking every vehicle, if you get stuck and you're at full PSI, you will get a fine.

Waterloo

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You're right of course, I was fixated on just north of Corolla. Thanks for pointing out that it varies by township.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You're right of course, I was fixated on just north of Corolla. Thanks for pointing out that it varies by township.
So just to drive up there and play in the sand a little and enjoy the beach costs $50 because you are not just driving through?

I was just in kitty hawk this past week and had thoughts of taking the Jeep up to the beach but we didn’t want to deal with the long drive.

Waterloo

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So just to drive up there and play in the sand a little and enjoy the beach costs $50 because you are not just driving through?
I was talking to a local about it at the dog park (he had a sweet Punk'n Sport S!) . He said before the fee, the beach was overcrowded, vehicles everywhere, like a parking lot. I get your point. For me, seemed like a good compromise... I just wanted to check that bucket list item ("drive on the beach") so I didn't pay to stop. There were lots of Jeeps parked there, 50+ on a Tuesday in August,but it didn't feel overcrowded. Everyone seemed to be having a good time.

(Shhhh, I stopped for three minutes to take a photo. Don't tell.)

MVIMG_20190805_121744.jpg

Sponsored

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I was talking to a local about it at the dog park (he had a sweet Punk'n Sport S!) . He said before the fee, the beach was overcrowded, vehicles everywhere, like a parking lot. I get your point. For me, seemed like a good compromise... I just wanted to check that bucket list item ("drive on the beach") so I didn't pay to stop. There were lots of Jeeps parked there, 50+ on a Tuesday in August,but it didn't feel overcrowded. Everyone seemed to be having a good time.

(Shhhh, I stopped for three minutes to take a photo. Don't tell.)

MVIMG_20190805_121744.jpg
I was on that beach with my brother in laws jeep about 5 years ago in the beginning of June and it wasn’t crowded so I already experienced it which made it easier to not make the long drive with my Jeep. If it was overcrowded I get the adding a fee. Also I think it was 2 years ago someone hit a wild horse with there vehicle and it died.

toecheese

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR MT
Occupation
Construction
I actually just got back from the OBX today. On friday around 4 pm I went to Corolla to the off-road beach. Make sure you stop at one of the designated stops to relieve your tire pressure as stopping on the road is prohibited, they also have a free air up station a mile or two from the beach entrance. You only need a permit from Memorial day to Labor day, so I just drove up and around without permit and had no troubles. I have never driven in sand before so my pucker factor was high, I am sure the Jeep could handle much more than I was willing to put it through. Gonna spend all day vacuuming the interior as sand got EVERYWHERE. Overall 10/10 experience. I can't wait to drive down to Cape Lookout and camp with the Jeep.

thumbnail.jpg

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I actually just got back from the OBX today. On friday around 4 pm I went to Corolla to the off-road beach. Make sure you stop at one of the designated stops to relieve your tire pressure as stopping on the road is prohibited, they also have a free air up station a mile or two from the beach entrance. You only need a permit from Memorial day to Labor day, so I just drove up and around without permit and had no troubles. I have never driven in sand before so my pucker factor was high, I am sure the Jeep could handle much more than I was willing to put it through. Gonna spend all day vacuuming the interior as sand got EVERYWHERE. Overall 10/10 experience. I can't wait to drive down to Cape Lookout and camp with the Jeep.
Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to drive mine on the beach yet, but definitely planning on it next summer. QQ - when on sand are you in 2H, 4H or 4L?

Waterloo

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have never driven in sand before so my pucker factor was high, I am sure the Jeep could handle much more than I was willing to put it through.
Yes and yes and yes.

toecheese

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR MT
Occupation
Construction
Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to drive mine on the beach yet, but definitely planning on it next summer. QQ - when on sand are you in 2H, 4H or 4L?
I drove on to the beach for a couple miles prior to switching to 4H without any problems. The Jeep handled the compacted sand well, it was the areas with the soft sand that concerned me and switch to 4H. I would feel much better if I had someone out there with me that knows how to handle sand and would show me how to get unstuck as it seems to be a process.
Sponsored