Beach Essentials

Liberty0rDeath

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Well the lock down has us itching to get out and we are planning a beach trip at the end of the month. Here in Texas we can drive on the beach which will help us social distance from the masses (as long as they stay open). We frequent the beach regularly so I have good grasp on normal supplies, but this will be our first time in the Jeep. I’m curious if there are any specific Jeep items that I need to think about taking. Suggestions welcome, thanks.
Jeep Wrangler JL Beach Essentials 90498795-C650-460B-96D7-21E20A9658D6
Sponsored

Bic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Unlimited Sport S
I just came back from a week in the Outer Banks and took my Jeep on the beach there. Bring a snatch strap/tow rope and a shovel for just in case you get stuck. Better to have and not need than need and not have. Also bring an air compressor for airing up and down tires if there aren't any air stations close to your beach. North Carolina law requires vehicles to air down under 20 psi before driving on the beach. I went to 18 psi and used 4-HI and had zero problems.

5adventurers

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 Toyota 4Runner, 1991 Toyota Pickup
I just came back from a week in the Outer Banks and took my Jeep on the beach there. Bring a snatch strap/tow rope and a shovel for just in case you get stuck. Better to have and not need than need and not have. Also bring an air compressor for airing up and down tires if there aren't any air stations close to your beach. North Carolina law requires vehicles to air down under 20 psi before driving on the beach. I went to 18 psi and used 4-HI and had zero problems.
I've been going there and driving all my life. Never heard the 20lb rule. However, I agree. Always air down, always have a shovel and tow strap. Not bad to have extra water or coolant. I've seen a lot of overheating out there. I have 37x13.50s on a Rubicon and I STILL air down and still put it in 4hi. Why? It just makes it easier on everything mechanically. Why try and rag it out or get stuck and throw sand and put sand paper in your undercarriage. No thanks.

Enjoy the ride

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Everyone, how about a "Jack Board? Piece of 5/8th or 3/4" plywood 18" square. Jacking on sand is tough w/o board Jeep stays where it is, jack goes down. I would think most driveable beaches under official rules require it, I know Cape Cod National Seashore inspection does !
Air down and have fun!

I like a "yank em" (Oops dating myself?);) or tow strap hopefully for you to tow someone out! LOL

Go Jeep!!!

Bic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Unlimited Sport S
I've been going there and driving all my life. Never heard the 20lb rule. However, I agree. Always air down, always have a shovel and tow strap. Not bad to have extra water or coolant. I've seen a lot of overheating out there. I have 37x13.50s on a Rubicon and I STILL air down and still put it in 4hi. Why? It just makes it easier on everything mechanically. Why try and rag it out or get stuck and throw sand and put sand paper in your undercarriage. No thanks.

Enjoy the ride
https://www.outerbanks.com/driving-...ecommended that all,tires on the Outer Banks? I was wrong about it being a state law. Looks like it's a local Currituck County Ordinance. I don't think it's highly enforced.

Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone, how about a "Jack Board? Piece of 5/8th or 3/4" plywood 18" square. Jacking on sand is tough w/o board Jeep stays where it is, jack goes down. I would think most driveable beaches under official rules require it, I know Cape Cod National Seashore inspection does !
Air down and have fun!

I like a "yank em" (Oops dating myself?);) or tow strap hopefully for you to tow someone out! LOL

Go Jeep!!!
A tow strap isn’t the way to go. A recovery strap is a much better choice. It will stretch and provide kinetic energy where a tow strap does not.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
UNC Rubicon,

See, "Yank 'em strap" dated myself now a "Recovery Strap! Tow strap better than hoping someone else has something better is all.

I think Yank 'em strap was/is a trade name of an early recovery strap to take the place of chains! Old I know!!

Have fun all, air down! :like:

Go Jeep!!!

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You will never ever get the beach back out of you Jeep :D

Sand tracks or a few boards to put under tires. I've spent a lot of time on Spi, fun run up to Mansfield. Stay off the dunes and your Jeep won't get stuck.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
UNC Rubicon,

See, "Yank 'em strap" dated myself now a "Recovery Strap! Tow strap better than hoping someone else has something better is all.

I think Yank 'em strap was/is a trade name of an early recovery strap to take the place of chains! Old I know!!

Have fun all, air down! :like:

Go Jeep!!!
I figured “yank ‘em” was recovery but then you said tow so I wasn’t sure. But yes, a tow strap is better than nothing (what most folks drive on the beach with). :beer::beer:

Sponsored

Robertcladner

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL / 2010 Jeep JK

Air down and have fun!

Go Jeep!!!
A recovery strap is a much better choice! The rule of thumb for sizing recovery straps is that for every 1″ in width the strap gains 10,000 lbs of strength. Therefore, a 3″ wide strap will have approximately a 30,000 lb rating. You should purchase a recovery strap rated at 3 times the weight of your vehicle.
Jeep Wrangler JL Beach Essentials 51YCn0vYHTL._AC_
Jeep Wrangler JL Beach Essentials 71qUb2ugpcL._AC_SL1500_

Last edited:

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Some good advice on what to take. I was always very tedious about my maintenance after being in the sand so don’t overlook that.
I changed my oil and filters after my time playing in the sand. Also a good washing and paying attention to the underneath. I am sure others have some good advice too on post beach cleanup.

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Just an FYI, NC law doesn't require airing down, but some county ordinances do. No requirements in the Carolina Beach area that I am aware of, though always strongly recommended especially at the Ft. Fisher off road area.
Sponsored