Sponsored

Beach driving in soft sand/packed sand

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I have a JLU Sport with rubi suspension. Aired down to 15 PSI (was required by the rangers that patrol the land). Handled it like a champ. Drove over packed sand close to the water, sure, but more importantly also did sand further back behind the dunes that was super deep and dry, places where I've seen plenty of people get bogged down over the year. I know some people say they stay around 35PSI for beach driving, and that's cool if you're on the packed stuff, but that seems crazy in sand halfway up the clearance.
Sponsored

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
I have a JLU Sport with rubi suspension. Aired down to 15 PSI (was required by the rangers that patrol the land). Handled it like a champ. Drove over packed sand close to the water, sure, but more importantly also did sand further back behind the dunes that was super deep and dry, places where I've seen plenty of people get bogged down over the year. I know some people say they stay around 35PSI for beach driving, and that's cool if you're on the packed stuff, but that seems crazy in sand halfway up the clearance.
You're right 15 psi every weekend and never even close to stuck in the deep stuff.

20190525_131915.jpg

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Packed sand doesn't matter but loose does. I was at the beach a few weeks ago and an ice cream truck came down and was driving on packed sand without any issue.

Ricootje0311

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger Sport S Unlimited 2019 JL
Occupation
Pilot
15psi is what we use here in Dubai in the desert as well. Occasionally for emergency recovery 10 but the risk to running the tire of the rim then is a lot larger.
We've got sand as fine as powder here.

Sponsored

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Never taken my jeep in the sand and was wondering if there was in maintenance required after. Sand seems to get through every seal bearing, etc. and was wondering if there was anything that needed to be done to prevent extended wear or if there is speciai cleaning or lube required after a romp on the dunes.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
New JL's, no grease zerks, just hose off. I run water hose down the frame holes till clear. Not much to the new ones. The TJ, it's everywhere. No inner plastic fenders. That and 21.50 inch paddles don't help either. I have no rust on my 2005 TJ that I have owned since new.

Just stay out of the ocean water and you'll be fine.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Air down until you see the tire bulge. If the tire ever starts to dig air down more. If you are driving through the sand and your tire tracks look like you are dragging a plow, you haven't taken the PSI down far enough. If you pop a tire off a bead, you went too far......

There is no absolute best tire pressure that everyone should use. It all varies way too much. If I had to hazard a guess I would say if you have a properly inflated tire (not over nor underinflated) you could start by airing down to half of the pressure you run on the street. YMMV.

Last edited:

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Thank you all...Pismo...will be a summer stop.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Thank you all...Pismo...will be a summer stop.
Don't expect a whole lot out of Pismo. If you want an awesome sand duning experience go to Glamis or up to the dunes on the Oregon coast. I went to Pismo twice and it made me realize how amazing Oregon's dunes are.

While at Pismo I saw an old buick or the like just mobbing around in the back corner of the dunes. I was really surprised to see he made it that far back in. I'm relating that experience to show that it isn't a very challenging place (granted he was rallying the piss out of that car). I did end up having a good time there. It just wouldn't be my first choice for a destination. Maybe if I had family and friends nearby, or something along those lines. Don't go out of your way for Pismo is all I'm saying, and that is coming from someone that loves the sand dunes something fierce. I'll also say this, I would absolutely 100% rather go spend a day aimlessly driving down logging roads than go to Pismo again.

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Air down until you see the tire bulge. If the tire ever starts to dig air down more. If you are driving through the sand and your tire tracks look like you are dragging a plow, you haven't taken the PSI down far enough. If you pop a tire off a bead, you went to far......

There is no absolute best tire pressure that everyone should use. It all varies way too much. If I had to hazard a guess I would say if you have a properly inflated tire (not over nor underinflated) you could start by airing down to half of the pressure you run on the street. YMMV.
This is exactly it based on my experience. My old TJ bogged down on 31's at Cape Cod National Seashore a few years back. I went down to 5 PSI and it was fine. Crazy difference from the woods and rocks I'm used to playing in. As long as you've got a good, wide tire bulge on the sidewall, you should be ok.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
This is exactly it based on my experience. My old TJ bogged down on 31's at Cape Cod National Seashore a few years back.
Sad but true. If you are in a stock TJ Rubi you will sink..... Been there. After 5.7 Hemi it's a whole lot better.

Hemi engine.JPG

OregonHill.JPG

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Sand is no worse on your vehicle than mud. Think about all the grit and water that actually make up mud, and many times parts are completely submerged in it. Sand gets a bad wrap. It’s the salt water you want to stay out of. I’ve lived an hour away from the Oregon Dunes my entire life and have been taking my own 3 wheelers, quads, motorcycles, trucks, and Jeeps out in the sand since 1992 and I’ve never had a sand related prematurely worn out part -let alone a failure...

thegoochie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2012 JK Rubicon
Beach sand is corrosive. The salt in it will create rust. You need to rinse after your beach excusrion
Sponsored