Be Cautious with ESS

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I've found that if you just simply apply a light amount of brake pressure at a stop the ESS doesn't engage.
I’ve only had mine for a couple weeks but it has worked well for me. I have a Tazer but haven’t used it yet, so I can’t comment on it but just normally driving varying the brake pedal controls the ESS differently. It’s actually a bit interesting to understand how the system works, instead of getting pissed off.
Sponsored

kathlyn

First Name
Kathlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van & 2019 Ocean Blue Manual JL Rubicon
Thank you for trying to inform people of your experience chadly25. I appreciate it and will take it into consideration when driving.

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
For the Tazer users call your dealer and ask do they keep a file on all known Tazer installs and if an issue happens they want honor the warranty and that part only.

Why would you call your dealer and basically tell them “Hey I placed a programmer on my Jeep that is not approved and I want to know if you will cancel my warranty”. Talk about shooting yourself in the head.

Everything I have read tells you to unmarry the unit and remove components from your Jeep. They will not know. Several have gone to shops and it was never mentioned. In addition as I understand, if all you use is the live settings, it is not written to the computer. These setting are on the unit itself and that is why you always have to have the unit plugged into your vehicle port.

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I have a new solution to ESS! Just drive around in temps below 0F. Keeps saying disabled due to outside temp. All you lucky northerners who don't have to push the button! ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
Thank you for trying to inform people of your experience chadly25. I appreciate it and will take it into consideration when driving.
You used your first post to say a kind comment. Thank you and welcome to the forums.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
My new habit; hit the starter and then the EES off button.
Right. It becomes a normal part of your startup routine after a while. I don't even think about it, pure muscle memory.

I did the same thing w/ my exhaust brake in my Denali.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Why would you call your dealer and basically tell them “Hey I placed a programmer on my Jeep that is not approved and I want to know if you will cancel my warranty”. Talk about shooting yourself in the head.

Everything I have read tells you to unmarry the unit and remove components from your Jeep. They will not know. Several have gone to shops and it was never mentioned. In addition as I understand, if all you use is the live settings, it is not written to the computer. These setting are on the unit itself and that is why you always have to have the unit plugged into your vehicle port.
I said all KNOWN Tazer users. I don't believe in using a Tazer my choice. But if you talk to one of the service advisors more than people think they are flagged as a potential warranty issue.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Haven’t decided if I’m going to get a Tazer yet. I probably will. I’m having my rig serviced next week. If they find a defect and fix it I’ll keep using ESS. if they say everything checks out fine then I’ll likely get a Tazer. We’ll see what they find.
Sure sounds like a defect of some sort. It’s always worked the way it was intended for me. Hopefully they find the problem for you.

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
The main point of the story is I was waiting to turn left. The engine was running for about 10 seconds as I was stopped waiting for traffic to pass. I had an opening and took my foot off the brake while the engine was still running. Once I shifted my foot over to the gas the engine stopped. Having my foot on the accelerator did not turn the engine back on as it should have. I had to press the brake again and release it for the engine to turn back on. There is now way anyone can explain this to be a "normal" function of the system.

Thanks for reminding people that the new systems are just looking for the next weak point to fail.

People also have to remember that pushing down on the accelerator pedal doesn't guarantee anything,.. I.E. ...that the engine will increase RPM or make the vehicle move in any direction,,

On the new systems pushing down on the accelerator is only a suggestion to the PCM that you want to move... the PCM algorithm decides if it will allow the engine/powertrain to do so.

Its called Torque Controlled engine operation as opposed to the old cable operated throttle body that guaranteed the engine would do something when the pedal was pushed down.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure sounds like a defect of some sort. It’s always worked the way it was intended for me. Hopefully they find the problem for you.
They went through everything and said no parts failed. Called it a glitch. Basically means there is a vulnerable glitch if certain certain things happen at the same time. I’ve tried reproducing on my rig and haven’t been able to yet. My guess is the timing of events has to be perfect.

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Really seems like 2 simple software changes would make ESS way more manageable.

1. Make it less sensitive, rather than every time you come to a complete stop instantly engage ESS, wait for 60 seconds or so before turning the engine off.

2. Disable the system if the turn signals are engaged.
While I agree with #2, I'm not a fan of #1....If you were to do this I would think you might as well kill it completely...

To me I have no use for the system...It is on my 2018 Rubicon and my wife's 2016 Grand Cherokee.....

Wonder if anyone has tried the method mentioned in the F-150 link to deactivate it.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
For OP's situation. When your ESS does an auto-shutdown as you are lifting your foot off the brake pedal, just hit the gas pedal and it will start right up. This happened to me this morning as the light turned green. Hitting the gas pedal caused the ESS to crank the engine and get the Jeep moving.

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For OP's situation. When your ESS does an auto-shutdown as you are lifting your foot off the brake pedal, just hit the gas pedal and it will start right up. This happened to me this morning as the light turned green. Hitting the gas pedal caused the ESS to crank the engine and get the Jeep moving.
Hi Sean. Thx for the post. That is what I did. My foot was on the gas for at least a second or two. Engine stayed off and my rig started rolling slowly. Didn’t start up until I activated the brake again and released it. I’ve done this same thing 40x since and it’s been flawless. I think the timing is key and seems hard to reproduce. Time will tell if anyone else sees this.
Sponsored