Sponsored

PSA: COMMON SCAM ALERT! Unsolicited PMs asking you to email someone!

Map08008

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S JLU
He actually did respond still claiming they are sahara suspension.. They are 100% vin verified are not.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Admins -

We have a new scammer - Richard180

Please invite them to leave.

tactical_gnr

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Admins -

We have a new scammer - Richard180

Please invite them to leave.
Yes! I just received a pm from him as well trying to connect me with an email address for someone who supposedly has a hardtop I’m wanting to buy. Thanks for the PSA!!

tactical_gnr

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Yes! I just received a pm from him as well trying to connect me with an email address for someone who supposedly has a hardtop I’m wanting to buy. Thanks for the PSA!!
hmm I just tried to report him through the PM he sent me, but it’s unavailable now. I assume that means he’s been removed.

Reactions: JAY

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport Altitude
Well, I should have known better than to trust someone on the internet, but i got burned today but a user on here by the name of "Ragin". I posted recently that I was looking for some OEM LED tail lights and this user messaged me with a set for a fairly reasonable price. Cynthia had me email her and we chatted for a long thread regarding payment, when we would ship them, the condition of the tail lights etc. Long story short after agreeing on a price and receiving detailed photos of the tail lights, I agreed to Zelle (for those uninformed it's like cashapp, it's a money transfer service) through my bank. She said she didn't personally have access to a Zelle or paypal account but her daughter did. First red flag. I asked her several questions about how she would know to use zelle without having an account and she told me her daughter was handling all transactions for her that she was selling on the forums. I figured okay maybe that's not too far fetched. About 5 minutes after i sent the money and confirmation she emailed me back saying she would send shipping confirmation with about a half hour. After no response since 2:30pm today, i decided to access the site here and look at our messages as something seemed off. Her username and our messages together on the forums here are nowhere to be found. Lesson learned the hard way. My bank and many banks treat zelle payments as cash so there is absolutely no recourse from my bank and I can't dispute the charge as again, they treat it like transferring cash. At least i'm out only $280 instead of more, like I planned on originally spending. Expensive lesson learned nonetheless.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I should have known better than to trust someone on the internet, but i got burned today but a user on here by the name of "Ragin". I posted recently that I was looking for some OEM LED tail lights and this user messaged me with a set for a fairly reasonable price. Cynthia had me email her and we chatted for a long thread regarding payment, when we would ship them, the condition of the tail lights etc. Long story short after agreeing on a price and receiving detailed photos of the tail lights, I agreed to Zelle (for those uninformed it's like cashapp, it's a money transfer service) through my bank. She said she didn't personally have access to a Zelle or paypal account but her daughter did. First red flag. I asked her several questions about how she would know to use zelle without having an account and she told me her daughter was handling all transactions for her that she was selling on the forums. I figured okay maybe that's not too far fetched. About 5 minutes after i sent the money and confirmation she emailed me back saying she would send shipping confirmation with about a half hour. After no response since 2:30pm today, i decided to access the site here and look at our messages as something seemed off. Her username and our messages together on the forums here are nowhere to be found. Lesson learned the hard way. My bank and many banks treat zelle payments as cash so there is absolutely no recourse from my bank and I can't dispute the charge as again, they treat it like transferring cash. At least i'm out only $280 instead of more, like I planned on originally spending. Expensive lesson learned nonetheless.
Sorry to hear bud. That does suck :(

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
It is sad that some would rather deceive others than earn an honest living. Thanks for sharing, maybe saved someone else.

If you want to enjoy some scammer payback checkout on youtube
Jim Browning
Kitboga - will brighten your day
Scambaiters
and of course, scammer payback.

best.

Sponsored

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is a common scam and there's even a sticky thread discussing this. Her post and messages likely disappeared as she likely messaged someone else who reported it and we then parma-ban that account.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...icited-pms-asking-you-to-email-someone.52221/
Her email response to be says exactly along those lines of her getting banned..

Luckily even though Zelle is treated like cash, i kept such a good record of emails between us and even hinted that it seemed even remotely suspect, that my bank says it should be an easy reversal and have my money back the same day. I may just give her the benefit of the doubt and let her attempt to ship them, even though we all know the Fedex tracking will either never show up, or the tracking number itself will be bogus.

Untitled26.png

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is sad that some would rather deceive others than earn an honest living. Thanks for sharing, maybe saved someone else.

If you want to enjoy some scammer payback checkout on youtube
Jim Browning
Kitboga - will brighten your day
Scambaiters
and of course, scammer payback.

best.
Funny enough being an IT guy i actually have watched Jim Browning scam several scammers. This time it seemed just legitimate enough to pass as authentic. Lesson learned for sure.

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry about that!

anybody who wants to get paid via a cash transfer app like Zelle does not get my business.
I only use Zelle as a last resort since i haven't used my paypal account in years and i've literally never had a single issue with any zelle payment as most people would prefer zelle too because it's instant payment just like cashapp or the other instant money transfer apps.

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic
What is a safe way to buy parts from someone on the forum that is too far away for a personal pickup? I only use Zelle with personal friends.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
What is a safe way to buy parts from someone on the forum that is too far away for a personal pickup? I only use Zelle with personal friends.
First check to see if they are on the forum and active. That’s usually good indication. Always try to use PayPal IMO.
Sponsored