Baxter Spin On Adapter with E-Torque

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing that!
It's kind of what I suspected all along.
In the end, the only "weak point" in the oil system is FCA's decision to use plastic and aluminum on the oil filter housing/oil cooler. Had they taken a nod from Daimler when they owned Jeep, they would have used all aluminum with a plastic cap like Mercedes does.

Otherwise, the system itself is solid and there are enough high efficiency filters that filter down to the 20 micron level @ 99% that it is easy to see why that example of a PUG lasting 600K+ miles is totally possible.
Sponsored

OP
OP

markw365

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Clubs

It is inherent in the design of the 3.6. There is no anti drianback valve.

That startup rattle bugs the crap out of me and every one of them does it.
That I understand, and this below is not directed at you mwilk012.

In our engine configuration on the 3.6 PUG we don’t need an anti drain-back setup. @Old Dogger said it best several months back on the same subject with his straw in a soda can analogy.

***** Also to be fair to the OP, I’m not picking on you at all in any regards. Especially for buying a product you feel suits your issues. If you like it rock it, but we can’t continue to state that this engine has “dry start” issues when it does not. You obviously dislike the slight engine ticking/tapping noise at startup and I get it, lots of owners feel the same as you but trust me it’s not because it’s dry. This mega multi-million dollar designed engine doesn’t have oiling issues *****
The engine is quiet on cold startup now.

My buddy who works on these things for a living has lost count of how many valve trains he's repaired and he's done enough that he's bought the special tools to do the job. My goal was to eliminate/minimize the slight tick/tap that you hear on cold start before the lifters/lash adjusters get oil pressure. This engine is known for rocker arms wearing out, and I'm looking at heading that off as I plan on keeping this thing for a fairly long time.

OP
OP

markw365

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Clubs

good catch. I posted in the freaking miata thread and nobody picked it up.:movember:
We have an event this weekend at Lake Elsinore storm lot, you should come out and try your hand at autocross, it's what I do when I don't go wheeling in the jeep. :) I've got a 21 soul red club.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
In the end, the only "weak point" in the oil system is FCA's decision to use plastic and aluminum on the oil filter housing/oil cooler. Had they taken a nod from Daimler when they owned Jeep, they would have used all aluminum with a plastic cap like Mercedes does.

Otherwise, the system itself is solid and there are enough high efficiency filters that filter down to the 20 micron level @ 99% that it is easy to see why that example of a PUG lasting 600K+ miles is totally possible.
Yep!
I've owned 2 BMW's, and a Volvo dating back to 2002 that used these types of housings/filters. Two of those cars lasted over 250K miles before I sold them (wanting something new).
I think this filter/housing configuration works great! Sure makes oil changes easy. 🙂

Sponsored

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Hopefully to give you piece of mind, the current JL 3.6 has the updated rocker arms. But in general I totally get what your original post was aiming towards. I truly wish all of us many years of good runtime with this pentastar. There’s good reason why more people choose it over the 2.0. With or without the Etorque it’s a solid motor.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine absolutely does not do this.
I've had 2 different GM V8"s, and a Ram Hemi 5.7 that clattered upon startup without fail, so I know the sound. My Pentastar on the other hand, quiet.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD

The engine is quiet on cold startup now.

My buddy who works on these things for a living has lost count of how many valve trains he's repaired and he's done enough that he's bought the special tools to do the job. My goal was to eliminate/minimize the slight tick/tap that you hear on cold start before the lifters/lash adjusters get oil pressure. This engine is known for rocker arms wearing out, and I'm looking at heading that off as I plan on keeping this thing for a fairly long time.
This is the kind of feedback I was hoping to hear. I had seen the system on the Saturday morning Auto infomercials but want to hear from folks who actually have first hand experience with it.
Thanks

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Hopefully to give you piece of mind, the current JL 3.6 has the updated rocker arms. But in general I totally get what your original post was aiming towards. I truly wish all of us many years of good runtime with this pentastar. There’s good reason why more people choose it over the 2.0. With or without the Etorque it’s a solid motor.
Well, sort of updated. It’s a completely different design to fit the variable valve lift mechanism. The exhaust side lifters are “updated” but they all still suffer the same roller bearing failures. Maybe not as frequently but it’s hard to tell yet.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I've had 2 different GM V8"s, and a Ram Hemi 5.7 that clattered upon startup without fail
I'm on my 5th GM Truck-based SBC (also had three in cars) and EVERY SINGLE ONE does/did it. Also, ALL of those truck engines went to 200k+ without an issue. Two of them are still going approaching 300k. The others might be also, I just don't know their owners personally. More than half of those miles were on natural oil too, I didn't start using full synthetic on all my vehicles until about 12 years ago.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm on my 5th GM Truck-based SBC (also had three in cars) and EVERY SINGLE ONE does/did it. Also, ALL of those truck engines went to 200k+ without an issue. Two of them are still going approaching 300k. The others might be also, I just don't know their owners personally. More than half of those miles were on natural oil too, I didn't start using full synthetic on all my vehicles until about 12 years ago.
Yep, all mine clattered, but without serious consequences. đź‘Ť
Sponsored