Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
I recently found out I bent my front axle housing. Need to start thinking about its replacement.

I have RCV axles in it and an Artec Truss setup standing by. Im reluctant to loose those investments on a Non-FAD axle. So I’m trying to find the best option for strength and price!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ryanfold

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
If I were going to spend the money on a new front axle it wouldn't be a Dana 44.
I hear ya, Sure there are stronger axles, but im trying to stick with a Dana 44 for a couple reasons.

I have a 2dr, and keeping it light and nimble its my priority.

37s are the perfect size for jeep build, and I wouldnt want to loose the clearance moving to a Dana 60.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I hear ya, Sure there are stronger axles, but im trying to stick with a Dana 44 for a couple reasons.

I have a 2dr, and keeping it light and nimble its my priority.

37s are the perfect size for jeep build, and I wouldnt want to loose the clearance moving to a Dana 60.
Well you already bent one so......

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
If ya wanna stick with a Dana 44, which sounds like the best plan for you, see if you can find a junkyard front axle. Then you can add the truss, throw the RVC's and other beef parts in and you are done.

What did you do to bend it in the first place?

Just as an FYI, I have the Artec truss, RCV's with FAD, Apex Chassis balljoints. But....stock knuckles as Reid just released their setup.

OP
OP
Ryanfold

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
If ya wanna stick with a Dana 44, which sounds like the best plan for you, see if you can find a junkyard front axle. Then you can add the truss, throw the RVC's and other beef parts in and you are done.

What did you do to bend it in the first place?

Just as an FYI, I have the Artec truss, RCV's with FAD, Apex Chassis balljoints. But....stock knuckles as Reid just released their setup.
Awesome! Sounds like youve got the final set up i want, plus the Ried. Think im going to try for a take off rubi axle tho, and keep the much hated FAD.

the bend is slight, maybe .8 different from wheel to wheel. I cant say for sure where it is, but there is a welded hole on the FAD housing that has a stress crack and have a little diff oil seeping out.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Dana ultimate 44

Otherwise I would go the truss route. I believe off road evolution raced a gladiator with a trussed stock front axle and it survived the whole thing. Last years baja 1000 or 500.

The main reason I would not go dynatrac or currie is due to the custom length inner axle shafts.

They are using JK gears, JL outer stub shafts and custom length JK splined shafts. Meaning they are JL length axle shafts but splined for JK gears. That means if you end up breaking one you can't go to the dealer, or autozone, napa etc. You must get this custom length inner shaft and hope you did not also break the outer because now you'll need a JL outer shaft from the places mentioned before.

While maybe not a huge deal with dynatrac, currie and RCV making these custom shafts now, it is a lot cheaper and easier to get stock JL shafts.

I think these companies shouldn't have been lazy with their axles and designed them to use JL gears. They were simply trying to be first to the market and I think that is why they did it. These "proven" JK gears are technically the same strength as the JL per the strength charts you can find online. And I think after 3+ years of watching these JL ring and pinon's be abused, it is safe to say they are holding up.

Last edited:

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Dana ultimate 44

Otherwise I would go the truss route. I believe off road evolution raced a gladiator with a trussed stock front axle and it survived the whole thing. Last years baja 1000 or 500.

The main reason I would not go dynatrac or currie is due to the custom length inner axle shafts.

They are using JK gears, JL outer stub shafts and custom length JK splined shafts. Meaning they are JL length axle shafts but splined for JK gears. That means if you end up breaking one you can't go to the dealer, or autozone, napa etc. You must get this custom length inner shaft and hope you did not also break the outer because now you'll need a JL outer shaft from the places mentioned before.

While maybe not a huge deal with dynatrac, currie and RCV making these custom shafts now, it is a lot cheaper and easier to get stock JL shafts.

I think these companies shouldn't have been lazy with their axles and designed them to use JL gears. They were simply trying to be first to the market and I think that is why they did it. These "proven" JK gears are technically the same strength as the JL per the strength charts you can find online. And I think after 3+ years of watching these JL ring and pinon's be abused, it is safe to say they are holding up.
At least the pinion shaft on the new JL gears is much beefier than the JK.

OP
OP
Ryanfold

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Dana ultimate 44

thats a really smart point! I thought i was weird they went with JK ring and pinion.

Mr Lee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
$2700 Gets you a new front axle and 4.10 gears assembled through mopar performance, it is in their jeep catalogue. Remember that price when you are buying a used one. The mopar one does not start with a "p" part number so it should have their warranty also.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I wish!! i doubt they would because i have Rubicon axles on my Sport tho.

Did you end up replacing your axle? I'm in the same boat as you except it's my OEM rubicon front axle. Slight bend at the FAD housing as well.

Considered going with a UD44 but I just couldn't make the right deal happen and the costs all-in with regearing the rear were high. I finally pulled the trigger on an axle from California Truck Salvage in Fontana. He was able to order me a fresh one from mopar for a better price than the dealers could. Right now I plan on throwing a rusty's or artec truss on and swapping my stock drag link/tie rod with Synergy ones as the impact that bent my axle certainly stressed the crap out of the stock units.

Funny is the salvage spot had a slightly bent but otherwise complete front JL Rubicon D44 hanging around he's been trying to sell on the cheap - yours?
Sponsored