Sponsored

Battery tenders

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Can we talk battery tenders. Does anyone use them? Cigarette lighter version work? If not them for the kind that attaches to the battery exactly where do I connect them based on the battery situation.
Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Can we talk battery tenders. Does anyone use them? Cigarette lighter version work? If not them for the kind that attaches to the battery exactly where do I connect them based on the battery situation.
Great question. I think that the main battery is obvious. Given the location of the aux perhaps one of the terminals on the bus (N2?) is easier than going to the terminals on the aux battery. And since they’re in parallel maybe there’s a single solution, although I don’t know the state when the Jeep is off. I’m sure @Jebiruph would have a accurate answer.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I travel a lot and I use YUASA 1 AMP battery maintainers--for my '16 RAM/'07 MATRIX/'18 SAHARA and I have used them for the last 5 years on JEEPs/trucks/TOYOTAS--

On the '18 JL SAHARA I just hook to the +/- of the main battery and it works SPLENDID !

No problem !

JIMBO

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Great question. I think that the main battery is obvious. Given the location of the aux perhaps one of the terminals on the bus (N2?) is easier than going to the terminals on the aux battery. And since they’re in parallel maybe there’s a single solution, although I don’t know the state when the Jeep is off. I’m sure @Jebiruph would have a accurate answer.
The batteries are connected when the jeep is off.

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The batteries are connected when the jeep is off.
Thank you. So then hooking up the tender connector to the main should do the trick. Same as leaving jumper cables on the main for a while to give the aux enough life for a jump start.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I am also a big fan of NOCO, the proprietary plug sucks, otherwise they are great. I own at least 1/2 dozen noco tenders,
without a tender,
One thing that surprises me is how the JL batt will go dead in 3-4 weeks or less. My JL is not a DD and spends a significant amount of time just sitting...but I have noticed the batt will go dead much sooner than what I would consider acceptable.

I should prob test the batt...and or attempt to diagnose further, but we are busy people and the Jeep is a garage queen.

Anyone else notice that their JL wont hold a charge if parked for awhile?

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is an early thread that discussed how to deal with charging the “different Amp-Hr rated” batteries the JL uses. There are other threads as well.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...olidated-information.25377/page-6#post-932556
so post #83 in that link talks about having to do both batteries. That was kind of my question. So if I get a battery tender as Jimbox states all I need to do is hook that tender up to the main pos and main neg post and I am good? Or will the ESS battery die in that case?

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so post #83 in that link talks about having to do both batteries. That was kind of my question. So if I get a battery tender as Jimbox states all I need to do is hook that tender up to the main pos and main neg post and I am good? Or will the ESS battery die in that case?
Since they are connected it should be just like the jump starting procedure, so just connecting the main should be fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since they are connected it should be just like the jump starting procedure, so just connecting the main should be fine.
ok thanks. Stupid question is jump starting normal on Jeep. Just pos to pos and net to net post or is there a different spot for the net. I guess I could read the manual.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ok thanks. Stupid question is jump starting normal on Jeep. Just pos to pos and net to net post or is there a different spot for the net. I guess I could read the manual.
Hi, here is a good sticky thread on this topic that you should read:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/why-3-6l-jumpstarts-are-the-way-that-they-are.27758/

Also FWIW I was taught to never use the negative post for the vehicle that you’re jumping, but rather to use a ground point somewhere else (due to the potential for a spark igniting any gasses that have built up over the discharged battery).

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I am also a big fan of NOCO, the proprietary plug sucks, otherwise they are great. I own at least 1/2 dozen noco tenders,
without a tender,
One thing that surprises me is how the JL batt will go dead in 3-4 weeks or less. My JL is not a DD and spends a significant amount of time just sitting...but I have noticed the batt will go dead much sooner than what I would consider acceptable.

I should prob test the batt...and or attempt to diagnose further, but we are busy people and the Jeep is a garage queen.

Anyone else notice that their JL wont hold a charge if parked for awhile?
You own a 2.0 or 3.6? Have the tow package?