Battery Tender on 3.6 Question

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
My JLUR has been ordered and I am in the process of planning and learning all that I can. Haven't had a Jeep since my 07' JK SDR. I do not drive my current vehicle and won't drive my JL a lot. My last Jeep had 33k miles in 7 years. The aux battery dying is my biggest concern as I will drive her 3-4 times a month for a short distance. On to my question.

When hooking up a battery tender, do I just connect it to the main battery and it will also keep the aux battery charged?
Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
If you are a DIYer this is what I did. A bit overkill but Really not all that hard. Even if you wanted a shop to do it for you it should not take them more than a couple hours.

Biggest problem I had was driving off with it connected a couple times. So I bought a "remove before flight" keychain on amazon and lay it across my steering wheel when its plugged in.

Yes, attaching to the main will charge the aux battery.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...arger-mount-inlet-install-lots-of-pics.44466/

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Will you have an auto or manual? The difference being, '21 3.6 auto's are all eTorque, while the manuals are ESS. The eTorque's have an 48v battery pack under the body while the ESS jeeps have the small aux battery underneath the fuse tray.

In short, if you have ordered an auto, I don't know if anyone has figured out how to maintain the 48v batteries yet... but you can put a tender on the main battery.

If you have ordered an manual, then yes. a battery tender will maintain both batteries as they are connected in parallel 99% of the time... but no matter what, eventually the little battery will fail and drag your main battery down with it.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
My JLUR has been ordered and I am in the process of planning and learning all that I can. Haven't had a Jeep since my 07' JK SDR. I do not drive my current vehicle and won't drive my JL a lot. My last Jeep had 33k miles in 7 years. The aux battery dying is my biggest concern as I will drive her 3-4 times a month for a short distance. On to my question.

When hooking up a battery tender, do I just connect it to the main battery and it will also keep the aux battery charged?
Good idea to be planning on using a battery tender if it will be sitting undriven for periods of time.

Yes, connecting the tender/charger to the main battery will charge both.

However, if one or both batteries are compromised, you may need to separate them to test/recondition or replace.

OP
OP
WilhelmSR

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Will you have an auto or manual? The difference being, '21 3.6 auto's are all eTorque, while the manuals are ESS. The eTorque's have an 48v battery pack under the body while the ESS jeeps have the small aux battery underneath the fuse tray.

In short, if you have ordered an auto, I don't know if anyone has figured out how to maintain the 48v batteries yet... but you can put a tender on the main battery.

If you have ordered an manual, then yes. a battery tender will maintain both batteries as they are connected in parallel 99% of the time... but no matter what, eventually the little battery will fail and drag your main battery down with it.
I ordered a manual

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I'm not a fan of Battery Tender. I have had a couple crap out on me. So, through Amazon I ordered:
BMK 12V 5A Smart Battery Charger Portable Battery Maintainer with Detachable Alligator Rings Clips Fast Charging Trickle Charger for Car Boat Lawn Mower Marine Sealed Lead Acid Battery.

It works great. It charges both batteries, when hooking it to the main one. I had issues with the batteries, because of short infrequent driving.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Please step up from a Battery Tender +, that tender will work but I have read a lot about these not bringing batteries to the correct voltage...
AGM batteries need to see 14+ volts for a period of time during the charging process and lots of these budget minded tenders fall short, yes they do charge but no in the way AGM batteries liked to be charged.

My suggestion is CTEK or NOCO but if you want to go up to say a 6 stage one that reconditions I would suggest Odyssey, I use these two

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Tender on 3.6 Question 9C2AB2A0-A609-4DA4-9D31-DA82C9EA1594
Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Tender on 3.6 Question 2E15D906-AACC-4EA7-9CCA-12C45BB64CB3

OP
OP
WilhelmSR

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Please step up from a Battery Tender +, that tender will work but I have read a lot about these not bringing batteries to the correct voltage...
AGM batteries need to see 14+ volts for a period of time during the charging process and lots of these budget minded tenders fall short, yes they do charge but no in the way AGM batteries liked to be charged.

My suggestion is CTEK or NOCO but if you want to go up to say a 6 stage one that reconditions I would suggest Odyssey, I use these two

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Tender on 3.6 Question 2E15D906-AACC-4EA7-9CCA-12C45BB64CB3
Thanks for the heads up but I already have a NOCO.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the heads up but I already have a NOCO.
Which NOCO are you running besides the NOCO or are you looking for other options ? I really like the NOCO 10 as it will charge a host of different batteries and has a Force option and also can act as a 12 volt supply if needed.

The Odyssey 20 I have is a killer option as it’s a six stage and it holds the voltage at 14.3-14.5 for like 4-8 hrs depending on how charged the batteries are

OP
OP
WilhelmSR

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Which NOCO are you running besides the NOCO or are you looking for other options ? I really like the NOCO 10 as it will charge a host of different batteries and has a Force option and also can act as a 12 volt supply if needed.

The Odyssey 20 I have is a killer option as it’s a six stage and it holds the voltage at 14.3-14.5 for like 4-8 hrs depending on how charged the batteries are
I have the NOCO Genius 10

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have the NOCO Genius 10
The NOCO 10 is a great charger and that’s what I originally went to as it was a step up from the 7200 with more power in a smaller size and then I started looking at other chargers and decided to do a side by side comparison with the Odyssey 20 and the charging curves on both of them match my dual Full River batteries in my Genesis system but the Odyssey is just a bit better for reconditioning as it holds the higher voltage longer.

I was going to send the NOCO back but decided to keep both so I do quick weekly topoffs with the NOCO as it’s right on the wall next to where I park and then once a month I do a recondition with the Odyssey, it may be more of a placebo affect but I feel using both keeps my batteries healthy and I want to get the most life I can from them.

I spent quite awhile exchanging phone calls and emails with NOCO, Odyssey, Full River and Genesis and the biggest thing owners do wrong is use the wrong charger and that’s a killer for batteries

OP
OP
WilhelmSR

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
welcome to the cool kid's club.
My '07 JKS was a manual and sold it back in 14. Really miss driving a manual and can't wait to get back in one.
Sponsored