Battery tender for JL 3.6 (with ESS)

Hurlow8

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport
My new wrangler will be garaged for a couple months this winter (long story), and I was planning to get a battery tender to protect/maintain the battery.

Does the extra battery with the ESS system complicate this or require a certain type?

Any recommendations on tenders?
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
And how do you connect it to make sure it is charging both batteries?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
And how do you connect it to make sure it is charging both batteries?
As I mentioned, just hook up your trickle charger to the Main battery and Neg and both batteries will be maintained.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
As I mentioned, just hook up your trickle charger to the Main battery and Neg and both batteries will be maintained.
Yeah, you posted right before my question.

Have you seen the wiring diagram?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-battery-diagram.14401/

If this is correct, it doesn’t appear your method will charge the aux unless the N1 and N2 are connected on the PCM.

N2 and N3 are connected to main battery, but then it’s up to the power control rely to be closed in order to charge the aux. Maybe this is the case.

Pic is from the thread. Not mine.

B1759E99-80D8-42D0-8D32-9BDC6A5771ED.png

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jeepsterfreak

Won't go into why, but twice now in say 5 months I have depleted the ESS/Aux. battery enough that I got an evic message... actually messages. Messages saying ESS was out and messages saying Aux switches were temporarily shut down due to depleted battery.

Trickle charging overnight brought the ESS/Aux up fully and of course the Main battery.

Also, can tell you I have successfully jump started the JL. Yes, a few on the forum have tried and said they could not do but I actually jump started my JL the regular old way. Using cables and jumping the plain old way. No, I could not do with a 12v power pack (I tried) but when I hooked up my JL via battery cables to a top notch 12v battery bank, the JL started right up. (It had been dead as a door nail so to speak)

I might mention the manual says to jump start this way.... I think the few here that tried to jump start and could not were not using a strong enough 12v source to jump from...

In the next year, I'm sure we will hear more on the forum in regard to the 2 batteries of the JL and how to deal with them. Again, I did jump start my JL...

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
@Jeepsterfreak

Won't go into why, but twice now in say 5 months I have depleted the ESS/Aux. battery enough that I got an evic message... actually messages. Messages saying ESS was out and messages saying Aux switches were temporarily shut down due to depleted battery.

Trickle charging overnight brought the ESS/Aux up fully and of course the Main battery.

Also, can tell you I have successfully jump started the JL. Yes, a few on the forum have tried and said they could not do but I actually jump started my JL the regular old way. Using cables and jumping the plain old way. No, I could not do with a 12v power pack (I tried) but when I hooked up my JL via battery cables to a top notch 12v battery bank, the JL started right up. (It had been dead as a door nail so to speak)

I might mention the manual says to jump start this way.... I think the few here that tried to jump start and could not were not using a strong enough 12v source to jump from...

In the next year, I'm sure we will hear more on the forum in regard to the 2 batteries of the JL and how to deal with them. Again, I did jump start my JL...

Good to know you can trickle charge and jump the old fashioned way on such a complicated system. Maybe the power control relay is the source of the many aux battery problems being reported.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I use YUASA/1 amp trickle chargers on my JL/RAM 5.7L and my TOYOTA MATRIX--I've had years of success and months of success on the JL--

Good luck

W.E

JIMBO

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jeepsterfreak

To be honest with you who the friggg knows. 8-) Reality is we are all kinda clueless on this. For sure if there was for sure answers, that there would be that Jeep YouTube guy doing a video and guys posting absolutes here.

Anyway, all I can post is what I saw.. my experience.

Oh, a week ago when I jump started the JL, I messaged the guy that did the diagram you posted to let him know what transpired. I had planned to jump using N1 but tried the conventional jump start way and with the top notch 12v battery bank on a new flatbed tow truck, the JL started..

And also, as I mentioned the trickle charging has worked for me twice now.. 8-) I have to stop lets say fooling with things and depleting that darn ESS battery..

Note: Yes, relay issue or just depleted ESS battery due to say 8.4 radio not going to sleep properly and other such parasitic drainage depleting the ESS battery.

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
My new wrangler will be garaged for a couple months this winter (long story), and I was planning to get a battery tender to protect/maintain the battery.

Does the extra battery with the ESS system complicate this or require a certain type?

Any recommendations on tenders?
Uuuhhh just start the thing a few times a week..keeps the engine and fluids flowing instead of sitting there. My limited experience with tenders is it cooks the battery in one way or another.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Uuuhhh just start the thing a few times a week..keeps the engine and fluids flowing instead of sitting there. My limited experience with tenders is it cooks the battery in one way or another.
Actually doing as you suggest, "just start the thing a few times a week..keeps the engine and fluids flowing instead of sitting there". Actually, quite the opposite. AND.... decent battery tender does not cook the battery as you suggest.

Do some research on vehicle storage, etc. and you will understand..

Sponsored

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Actually doing as you suggest, "just start the thing a few times a week..keeps the engine and fluids flowing instead of sitting there". Actually, quite the opposite. AND.... decent battery tender does not cook the battery as you suggest.

Do some research on vehicle storage, etc. and you will understand..
Starting a vehicle that is in storage a few times a week for 10-20mins at a time is very good for the vehicle and highly suggested to do so. It's practically common sense.

You say, "Actually, quite the opposite". So, your saying it's not good to start and just leave the car sitting for months without running at all?? That's ridiculous.

If I misunderstood you forgive me..never made it past 4 grade and the highest number I can count to is potato

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Titan2727

Why did I know you would argue this point. You have a track record lets say... I won't waste my energy trying to get you up to speed on this.

Again, do Google search for info in regard to vehicle storage, long term vehicle storage, etc.. Read about the effects on the battery (batteries) of starting a vehicle over and over and running the vehicle for a few minutes, etc..... read about condensation and how it affects the engine... read....... ah... just read and learn. My last post to you on this...

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
@Titan2727

Why did I know you would argue this point. You have a track record lets say... I won't waste my energy trying to get you up to speed on this.

Again, do Google search for info in regard to vehicle storage, long term vehicle storage, etc.. Read about the effects on the battery (batteries) of starting a vehicle over and over and running the vehicle for a few minutes, etc..... read about condensation and how it affects the engine... read....... ah... just read and learn. My last post to you on this...
so it's bad to drive and run my Jeep every day...."over and over"

I mean this in the nicest way bud, I really have no interest in arguing - but the suggestion of it being a negative thing to occasionally start a stored vehicle is a bad thing is just non-sense.

Please provide an article backing your claim. You wont find one...storing a vehicle and never starting it is bad, not the opposite!*

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
If you 'store' your Jeep but insist on starting it often to keep up the battery charge, run the vehicle long enough to get the engine up to operating temperature. If the engine is not allowed to warm up, moisture in the engine will not be evaporated, with corrosion on the cylinder walls. Also don't run the engine in an enclosed garage without ventilation. More than one family has died of carbon monoxide poisoning because they ran a car in their closed attached garage.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Yeah, you posted right before my question.

Have you seen the wiring diagram?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-battery-diagram.14401/

If this is correct, it doesn’t appear your method will charge the aux unless the N1 and N2 are connected on the PCM.

N2 and N3 are connected to main battery, but then it’s up to the power control rely to be closed in order to charge the aux. Maybe this is the case.

Pic is from the thread. Not mine.

B1759E99-80D8-42D0-8D32-9BDC6A5771ED.png
I need to add a note to this diagram that when everything is working correctly, the batteries appear to be connected in parallel, except when auto stopped. Trickle charging and jump starting should work from the main battery.
Sponsored