Battery size and recommendation for tow package oem replacement

John Galt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hi everyone, I need to replace my Aux battery on my 2020Jlur 3.6. As I am currently deployed to central Africa, logistics of getting the batteries here is a little challenging so I want to make sure I get the right thing. I plan to get both the Aux and main batteries so that I can replace both. Can someone confirm to me that the tow package main battery 05033394AB is a size 94r H7 and make any recommendation with what I should replace the OEM?

I would really appreciate any help with this so I don’t end up ordering the wrong battery.
Many thanks,

John

925B0218-029F-4ABF-BB60-55BE76C4F139.jpeg
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@John Galt

The stock battery tray on a JL with tow package is a bit bigger then a JL that does not have the tow package.

Size 94r H7 will fit in the Main battery tray of a JL with the tow package.. You just have to double check the EXACT SIZE of the battery you want to buy.. Physical size specs differ a bit with brands..

When I checked some of the 94r H7's were a tad to big for the tray on my JL with tow package..... ...especially if I wanted to secure the battery properly.

With all the aforementioned, I opted to go with a Group 48 that fits in to my JL with towing tray with lots of room to spare.

I did not order a 94r H7, as I did want to take the chance that the shipped to me battery would not fit, etc.. could not be secured properly..

Do know that the specs on the 48 are pretty close to the 94. CCA's, ect. are close... not wide enough margin to worry about.... and the 48, CCA specs are better then the stock/OEM battery/700CCA.

Not sure what can get shipped there but these two 48's are both Made in the USA by Odyssey:
NORTHSTAR Group 48 Battery NSB-AGM48 (775CCA)
Odyssey Battery 48-720

Well, with all that I spewed.. guess I'm suggesting going with a 48 so there is no question when it arrives that it will indeed fit the battery tray and can be secured properly.

IF you want to still go with a 94:

Interstate MTX-94R/H7 850CCA 80 Ah AGM
Odyssey Battery 94
Super Start Platinum SSB94RPLT
-Yes, sure there are other brands you can buy-

Aux battery replacement:

DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, BCI Group Size 400, 200 CCA
Part # AUX14-1

Super Start Platinum Auxiliary Battery Group Size 400
Part #AUX14

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are specs on the NORTHSTAR Group 48 Battery NSB-AGM48

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery size and recommendation for tow package oem replacement Northstar specs.JPG

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
John Galt

John Galt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thank you for your super fast and detailed response Rhinebeck01, I really appreciate it. I am absolutely happy going with a 48, the main thing for me is that it fits and I do not end up with a battery I cannot use. Do you happen to know what type the OEM battery is? I could not find any obvious marking on it.
once again many thanks, this has helped me a lot and I look forward to getting my new battery in 3-4 months 😅🤣 Shipping here takes forever…

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for your super fast and detailed response Rhinebeck01, I really appreciate it. I am absolutely happy going with a 48, the main thing for me is that it fits and I do not end up with a battery I cannot use. Do you happen to know what type the OEM battery is? I could not find any obvious marking on it.
once again many thanks, this has helped me a lot and I look forward to getting my new battery in 3-4 months 😅🤣 Shipping here takes forever…
@John Galt

Both the OEM Main and Aux batteries are AGM.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@John Galt

DO order BOTH the Aux and Main.... Replace both!

IF you want (or if you have Aux battery issues) , say while you are in Africa, jumper out the Aux and just run with the Main battery. Your little 2020 Aux will undoubtedly chitt the bed before your 2020 Main.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
^^^^^^^^
All This!!
Personally, I'm a Big Odyssey fan. Had them in my Tacomas and my Polaris. Worth every penny.
When it's time, I'm goiing with the Odyssey 48. No Aux for me with the eTorque.

G.

OP
OP
John Galt

John Galt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Yes, I am getting both, the shippers failed to properly disconnect the aux battery so it was DOA 😢 Main battery is still good, but we will be here another 2 years, so want to make sure I have a backup if I need it.
Sponsored