Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon JL
Occupation
Capt of the Wiggle Wagons.
2021 jeep wrangler jl rubicon with 3.6l etorque 10,300 miles

i have a few odds and ends happen with my jeep over the year but its mostly been working good except over this weekend so i wanted to ask a few questions.

question 1
since day 1 the battery is always charging at 14.5 to 14.6 volts. even if its been on a noco battery tender to full.
i start it and it still sits at that voltage, being a mild hybrid others said this is normal. the only time it comes down into the 13.5 volts is if i drive 250 miles up north.
daily i drive 10 mins at 40 mph and 10 mins at 50 to 60 to work. nothing plugged in to usb to drain the battery not even a phone charger cord. and i dont leave the obd2 bluetooth scanner connected
i had a dealership tell me the stock batteries are junk but they would not replace it because it has not fully failed.
i have heard the stock battery can cause sensors to fail and go off... more on that in a moment.
i am to the point for piece of mind to go get a aftermarket battery from advance auto. thoughts on that?

question 2
over the weekend i got out of the blue the service 4wd, electric stability control and abs lights on, so i read the forums and pulled the codes with jscan and says abs fault and LR wheel sensor erratic.
i pulled the wheel sensors out of driver and passenger rear hubs and cleaned them, they did not appear to dirty but cleaned them up non the less, checked the wires up to the frame and the connections are clean and hooked up and the wires had no rubbing or wear spot.

cleared the codes and drove and it was fine for the night, next day i start it up and there back on. drove it to the store in 2wd and 4wd got gas, paid, and when i started to drive home the lights were off.

the only strange thing that has happened in the last 2 weeks is i remote start my jeep with the fob, i always watch to make sure it starts, i then ran to the kitchen for my work cooler and headed out the door and the jeep was off. not even 2 mins had passed.

i really hate the local dealer so avoiding them is a goal otherwise i will try a different dealer if this issues is something i can not fix.

anyway i did not know what subject to file this under so i came to the general discussion.
would love to hear others thoughts and ideas and what i should or should not check.
Sponsored

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
I have a '20 with the 2.0L etorque. Mine almost always charges at 14.3-14.7 depending on ambient temperature at start. I notice that the more times I drive it in a day the voltage seems to lower with each start. Very long highway trips will see the charge voltage slowly decrease. Running in 4LO seems to lower it more quickly. I have replaced the OEM battery with an Odessey (no change in charging) and replaced the intelligent battery sensor with no change as well. I suspect this has something to do with the DC-DC charger built into the 48v battery pack not using the information from the battery sensor.

OP
OP
fuelfox4949

fuelfox4949

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon JL
Occupation
Battery performance observed is perfectly normal.
On the etorque immediately after start the Li battery brings the 12v battery up to close to 100% SOC as observed by 14+ voltages. Then the ecu takes over and lets the battery SOC decay to save gas and the result is voltages in the 13 v range. The theory is to save gas just keep the 12v battery SOC high enough to start the rig.

But if the voltage never drops below 14.5 volts does that mean the battery is never getting to the full soc?
If not getting to full soc maybe the battery is no good?

OP
OP
fuelfox4949

fuelfox4949

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon JL
Occupation
So today after driving 20 mins home from work, i shut my jeep off.
Waited 10 mins and flipped it to run, the guage in the info center said battery was at 11.6 volts.

Way to low for my liking and the jeep is only 16 months old.
So would you bring it to a dealer and ask them to replace it or just buy a aftermarket battery thats better made with a longer warranty?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Firstly, you are going to have a hard time convincing a dealer to replace a battery based on a meter reading.

Secondly, replacing one shitty OE battery with another shitty OE battery won’t solve anything.

If you feel the OE battery is not up to the task, you are better off replacing it yourself with an aftermarket brand.

Good luck.
Sponsored