Battery light with over charging

JoeT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler 392
Hello everyone, brand new member here - happy to join the community. I have a one month old 2023 wrangler 392 and the battery light has been coming on intermittently for the past week. When I check the charging voltage it is charging at 15.1 to 15.4 volts…apparently over charging, triggering the light. If I let it idle it stays at that voltage but will (every 30 seconds or so) drop down to 13.4 volts and immediately go back up to 15.3 or 15.4 volts (without any change in engine RPM). The next time that I drive the car, the light will be out and the voltage reads the normal 14 to 14.5 volts. I know that if the light is not on when I take it in for service they will tell me they need it to happen to properly diagnose the issue (my code reader sees no trouble codes). I am guessing that it is a bad regulator chip in the PCM and the PCM would therefore need to be replaced to remedy the issue but admittedly it’s just a guess at this point. Have any of you experienced or heard of this issue and if so what is the fix? Thanks.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I'd take a video and bring it in for warrantee service. 15.3-4 is too high and the video will be proof it happened, even if Murphy's Law strikes and they can't reproduce it. You'll want to do that before the excess voltage cause any other issues.

OP
OP

JoeT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler 392
I'd take a video and bring it in for warrantee service. 15.3-4 is too high and the video will be proof it happened, even if Murphy's Law strikes and they can't reproduce it. You'll want to do that before the excess voltage cause any other issues.
Thanks - you must have read my mind. I took a video of it yesterday while it was happening to ensure that I had a record of it. It could fry the battery or something more important if it continues. I also had a freak problem 2 weeks ago where the "right turn signal bulb needs replacement" indicator would come on randomly and the inside turn signal would cycle quickly as if there was a bulb out when there was no problem at all from the outside (the jeep has LEDs). I was panicking a bit that I have a difficult to trace electrical issue but with this over charging issue, I'm thinking that it is just a bad PCM causing both problems. Thanks again.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The JL's electronics does weird stuff at undervoltage. I'd imagine they wouldn't care for overvoltage either and it could be a more permanent problem than undervolt.

OP
OP

JoeT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler 392
The JL's electronics does weird stuff at undervoltage. I'd imagine they wouldn't care for overvoltage either and it could be a more permanent problem than undervolt.
I think that you’re correct and my turn signal false warning light was probably caused by the quick bursts of over voltage. The car is in for service right now - the overcharge condition became permanent on Friday afternoon. Thanks for responding.

Sponsored

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
There are quite a few things that are more likely to cause this than a bad PCM. Try disconnecting both batteries (if you have an aux battery) for 10 minutes, see if that resets the IBS. If not, take it in for warranty work.

SPone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Hello everyone, brand new member here - happy to join the community. I have a one month old 2023 wrangler 392 and the battery light has been coming on intermittently for the past week. When I check the charging voltage it is charging at 15.1 to 15.4 volts…apparently over charging, triggering the light. If I let it idle it stays at that voltage but will (every 30 seconds or so) drop down to 13.4 volts and immediately go back up to 15.3 or 15.4 volts (without any change in engine RPM). The next time that I drive the car, the light will be out and the voltage reads the normal 14 to 14.5 volts. I know that if the light is not on when I take it in for service they will tell me they need it to happen to properly diagnose the issue (my code reader sees no trouble codes). I am guessing that it is a bad regulator chip in the PCM and the PCM would therefore need to be replaced to remedy the issue but admittedly it’s just a guess at this point. Have any of you experienced or heard of this issue and if so what is the fix? Thanks.
Hey I know this is an old post but dame thing is happening to my Jeep 392 2023, did you ever fix the issue?
Sponsored