Sponsored

Battery issues and How to test 48V eTorque Battery?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Not sure if you are leaving your car key in your car overnight or even on a hook near the car as that is not recommended by Jeep. If the fob is too close to your car, it can continue to communicate with it, which could drain the battery. We stopped leaving our keys in the vehicles and that seemed to help. My wife's GCL has the same engine setup as my 2021 JLUR and we noticed taking the keys out prevented the need to recharge the battery. As mentioned before, the recharging process is vital to getting these back to fully charged and most older battery chargers will not work.
Sponsored

Beams37

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
We don't leave it in the car, but I guess it depends what you consider "close". The Jeep sits right outside the garage door and then the keys are inside in the mudroom. So, 20 feet, a garage door,, and drywall in between. Too close? How could I tell if it were too close?

THAW

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JL4DrRubicon
So, I just decided to go out and see if it would start. It started no problem, but was only reading 13.7V. Seems low for 3 hours, but I'd welcome input from everyone.
Steady 13.7 V while running is good, it typically means you have a healthy, charged battery. When the system voltage is much above 14 V (in moderate ambient temperatures), it usually means the IBS detects the start battery requires charging and the alternator/eTorque is attempting to charge it.

Last edited:

Beams37

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
That's great insight. Going to continue to monitor.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
The battery condition determines your voltage charge output requirements. The system will only put out what is required to maintain the batteries.
Small battery testers such as yours do not properly test a battery for the most critical test which is the draw test. A battery can pass the regular health tests but still fail the draw test.
When you are testing your battery are you disconnecting ALL battery cables? Backfeed from the e-Torque system will affect the readings at the battery if not disconnected..

Sponsored

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Independent strategy advisor
We don't leave it in the car, but I guess it depends what you consider "close". The Jeep sits right outside the garage door and then the keys are inside in the mudroom. So, 20 feet, a garage door,, and drywall in between. Too close? How could I tell if it were too close?
I guess one way to test it would be to get one of those faraday bags and keep your keys in there when you're home. If this eliminates/reduces the issue over some time, you can then consider a more permanent setup with a faraday box or similar.

Beams37

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The battery condition determines your voltage charge output requirements. The system will only put out what is required to maintain the batteries.
Small battery testers such as yours do not properly test a battery for the most critical test which is the draw test. A battery can pass the regular health tests but still fail the draw test.
When you are testing your battery are you disconnecting ALL battery cables? Backfeed from the e-Torque system will affect the readings at the battery if not disconnected..
Let me provide a little clarity. Currently, I am only measuring the battery through the on-board system Jeep built into the truck. I currently do not have a separate tester, but am considering one of the Bluetooth models that just connect right to it.

Beams37

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I guess one way to test it would be to get one of those faraday bags and keep your keys in there when you're home. If this eliminates/reduces the issue over some time, you can then consider a more permanent setup with a faraday box or similar.
Our house is fairly "long", so we can probably keep them far enough away and avoid buying a faraday bag. Hopefully that will help. Great idea!

Camdenlake

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2d Rubicon
I'm going to jump in here and share my symptoms in hopes we can start to collect data and information around these mysterious electrical issues.

I have the 3.6L Etorque in my 2021 JLUR (wife's daily currently). There are NO accessories attached. Over the past several months, we were getting the "Auxiliary Switches Unavailable Battery Charging" pop-up when starting the engine. I assumed it was a slowly dying aux battery, but learned today that there is no aux battery.

Late last week, the Jeep wouldn't start. So, we jumped it and made sure to drive it a bit and monitor the battery from the dash gauges. The dash gauges seemed to fluctuate between 13.7V and 14.4V in a fairly erratic manner. Seemed strange, but no other symptoms. Over the weekend, it wouldn't start without being jumped, no matter what the gauge read or how long we drove it.

Tonight, I put in a new battery and It started right up. I drove around for a while and the battery monitor on the dash held fairly steady at 13.9V (hit 13.8V and 14.0V once or twice over a 20 minute drive). So, I'm not sure what's going on.

We're going to drive it like normal for now and see how it goes over the next few days. I'll do my best to update as this goes along. I'm looking to add an auto start stop eliminator for convenience, but not sure it will help much with the battery issue.

If anyone else is having issues, it would be great to post here. People shouldn't have to charge their batteries every week. That's crazy!

I was having the same issues and messages when my 23 rubicon was new a little over a month ago. The dealer put a new battery in and did a software update for battery management I think it was related to the switch disabled message. No issues so far since.

Beams37

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
So, the wife has been driving it with no issues. She also has been keeping her keys far away from the Jeep. So far so good. Time will tell, but I will be getting a battery monitor for sure.
Sponsored