Battery is dead a 3rd time.

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO
I have 2019 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited with under 6k miles on it. It is my daily driver, not modified. Back in November the battery died after going on vacation for 1 week and coming back to car with completely dead battery. Jumped it and drove it to dealership, they found no issues. 3 weeks later same issue happened, jumped it again and drove to dealer. They replaced both batteries, disabled the ESS too. Well here we are again 3 months later. Drove the Jeep 2 days ago, came to it today, barely any juice, the interior lights inside were flickering, the side front turn turn signals were flickering, no display on dash or uconnect. I have a dead jeep again. I am getting tired of paying for this thing if I have to spend time and effort for it work again. Any ideas what is draining this thing. Only thing I have it connected to is blackvue dashcam front and back with battery pack through the rear trunk cigarette port. Which turns off if battery pack is not charged.

This is going to be a disaster for me as I am a healthcare worker within nyc, the commute to my hospital will be an issue and with this virus situation, and many dealership closed, I have no idea what to do. Thanks
Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I don't know what the problem is, based on what I've seen in this forum I would want to have the dealer check your alternator (there were a few bad ones). also, if your commute to work is very short, it may not be sufficient to keep the battery charged. good luck.

by the way, I appreciate anyone who works in health care these days, you guys/gals have a challenging and important job for sure.

OP
OP
nypharm

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know what the problem is, based on what I've seen in this forum I would want to have the dealer check your alternator (there were a few bad ones). also, if your commute to work is very short, it may not be sufficient to keep the battery charged. good luck.

by the way, I appreciate anyone who works in health care these days, you guys/gals have a challenging and important job for sure.
Thanks, yes my commute to work is under 10 miles maybe a 15-20 minute drive. However I do drive it often way more on days off and weekends. I'm glad I leased this thing and didnt purchase or finance. I'm wondering if it's just a lemon. Never had a car battery die on constant basis. Drove bmws for years, wouldn't drive them for weeks and they would start right up, same goes for many Japanese cars that I have had.

Problem is not even getting this fixed. NYC is locked down now, many dealerships are closed. Most tow truck companies wont even pull my jeep out since it's in my garage, they refuse to go inside any garages. Had this ordeal twice in past. Most portable jumper boxes are not enough to start it either.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
this won't help you now, but once you are up and running again you may want to monitor the battery charging voltage in the center cluster EVIC display. after an hour or two drive, it should sit at about 12 -13 volts while under throttle and at idle. it is normal for the voltage to read upwards of 14.6 volts after it hasn't been driven for a while and while coasting to a stop, but if it stays that high all the time, the batteries are not getting/holding a sufficient charge for some reason.

edit: lots of info in here, the focus is on the auxillary battery but it includes info on jump starting too
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/

Last edited:

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
I think you have an issue for sure. My jeep will sit for a week or so at a time from time to time...and it always starts. It is my wife's daily and she works from home so there times it sits for a solid week with no issues. Its a 2018 JLUR with the 3.6 and the 6MT

Stetson

Sponsored

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
Only thing I have it connected to is blackvue dashcam front and back with battery pack through the rear trunk cigarette port. Which turns off if battery pack is not charged.
I'm not sure if you checked this or not but the rear cigarette lighter power port can be set to stay on when the ignition is off. It can be changed by moving a fuse under the hood into a different position but I believe the default is to be always on unless you move the fuse. Might be worth checking to make sure your camera is not the cause of your battery drain.

Reactions: AFD

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just disconnect your dashcam for a while and see what happens. It could be the problem.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have 2019 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited with under 6k miles on it. It is my daily driver, not modified. Back in November the battery died after going on vacation for 1 week and coming back to car with completely dead battery. Jumped it and drove it to dealership, they found no issues. 3 weeks later same issue happened, jumped it again and drove to dealer. They replaced both batteries, disabled the ESS too. Well here we are again 3 months later. Drove the Jeep 2 days ago, came to it today, barely any juice, the interior lights inside were flickering, the side front turn turn signals were flickering, no display on dash or uconnect. I have a dead jeep again. I am getting tired of paying for this thing if I have to spend time and effort for it work again. Any ideas what is draining this thing. Only thing I have it connected to is blackvue dashcam front and back with battery pack through the rear trunk cigarette port. Which turns off if battery pack is not charged.

This is going to be a disaster for me as I am a healthcare worker within nyc, the commute to my hospital will be an issue and with this virus situation, and many dealership closed, I have no idea what to do. Thanks
@nypharm,
Thanks for sharing your concerns here, we are sorry to see that this is happening with your Wrangler. Once you have a confirmed dealer appointment, please send our team a private message for additional support during your service. Of course, we are always available for any questions you may have as well.

Kathryn
JeepCares

OP
OP
nypharm

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just disconnect your dashcam for a while and see what happens. It could be the problem.
I have done that before, ran same dashcam without any issues in my previous bmw 340. No issues, left that car for several weeks without hesitation. Something is wrong with this car, it smells like short in hood.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Still, disconnect any electrical add ons, whether they worked with previous vehicles or not. Is this 3.6, or 2.0T ? If 3.6, you can bypass the smaller ESS battery, with an easy to make jumper, see the info on that
If 2.0, then check harness connections and grounds, there are several instances of that being a culprit too. Make sure main lugs on battery under hood are tight, make sure fuses seated.
I would definitely disconnect add- ons, no matter how " simple" or past experiences.
Hope you resolve this

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP, I do not wish to even hint at insulting your intelligence, so, PLEASE don’t take it that way........

could it be possible that every now and then when you turn the Jeep off that you are leaving it in accessory mode? The reason that I ask is there was one poster here who I recall doing that, I think..... dead battery. Again, I know that it sounds stupid and impossible but I believe that one person has said that this happened to him.......

good luck with finding whatever the cause.

OP
OP
nypharm

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still, disconnect any electrical add ons, whether they worked with previous vehicles or not. Is this 3.6, or 2.0T ? If 3.6, you can bypass the smaller ESS battery, with an easy to make jumper, see the info on that
If 2.0, then check harness connections and grounds, there are several instances of that being a culprit too. Make sure main lugs on battery under hood are tight, make sure fuses seated.
I would definitely disconnect add- ons, no matter how " simple" or past experiences.
Hope you resolve this
I have a 3.6 not a 2.0T, I attempted the bypass in the past it did not work, checked all fuses as well. Was able to jump it with external battery booster and jumper cables connected to another vehicle. Those portable battery packs do not have enough juice to start it. Took it to the dealer yesterday, we will see if they resolve the issue. Do you know if the rear volt is always on? If it is always on, that is what is killing the battery. What scares me though, when you do open the hood, you smell a smokey electrical short in the hood. This is the 3rd time the battery is dead within 11 months of ownership and 2nd time it smells like electrical short.

OP
OP
nypharm

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP, I do not wish to even hint at insulting your intelligence, so, PLEASE don’t take it that way........

could it be possible that every now and then when you turn the Jeep off that you are leaving it in accessory mode? The reason that I ask is there was one poster here who I recall doing that, I think..... dead battery. Again, I know that it sounds stupid and impossible but I believe that one person has said that this happened to him.......

good luck with finding whatever the cause.
Your not insulting anyone, I do not get easily insulted. However my issue is why would it be in accessory mode once power goes off, it was not in accessory mode. The rear 12 volt should not run constantly when the car is off. Unless I am wrong, most cars I have owned the power stays on for short time period once all accessories are off and ignition is turned off. I believe it might be electrical short somewhere or the 12 volt is on whether car is turned on or off. If that is the case how would rear 12 volt even be converted to turn off with accessories.

OP
OP
nypharm

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure if you checked this or not but the rear cigarette lighter power port can be set to stay on when the ignition is off. It can be changed by moving a fuse under the hood into a different position but I believe the default is to be always on unless you move the fuse. Might be worth checking to make sure your camera is not the cause of your battery drain.
Yea I will check it out, that might be the issue. I took it to the dealer, lets see if they can figure it out before I play with the fuses. Thanks for advice.