Battery getting worse by the day - down to 30% capacity

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Just after I got my first oil change I noticed I started getting reduced range from my battery. This was roughly around May 13th. It has been getting progressively worse. I had a CEL and when I scanned it was related to battery voltage. I doubt it was the oil change as it was express service.

I brought it in last week for the CEL and the battery complaint. They logged the CEL as customer states "rough engine idle". There were no notes about the battery voltage I had scanned myself.

Service took 3 days and notes indicate they reset the battery and performed several RRTs.

When I brought it in I was getting 60% range, today I'm down to 30% of my normal range.

Charging takes less time, but the computer thinks it's fully charged with full normal range.

Anyone here had a similar issue? I've not read about anything like this.
Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
We've had ours since late-November, haven't seen this.

dougywarren

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4xe Sahara
dang. Any power decrease while driving from what you can tell? I would assume they would replace the batteries under warranty

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
dang. Any power decrease while driving from what you can tell? I would assume they would replace the batteries under warranty
I totally mean to go have them seriously looked at before the warranty is up, if we have it that long.

Sponsored

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
Something is up with either your battery pack or one of the sensors that monitors charge state. I'd get it in for service at a different dealer and have them figure out what's going on. I've noticed a pretty significant improvement overall with mine with the most recent RRT updates and more after shutoff functions taking place that weren't happening before. Sounds to me like the dealer you went to doesn't know what the hell they're looking at.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I have the OEM level 1 and a JuiceBox Level 2. Using either has the same results.

Power while driving is the same.
I agree with @DewHawk then, try another dealer. (I was just trying to rule out the charger, but it doesn't sound like that's the problem.)

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
All the dealerships seem overwhelmed when it comes to their EV techs. I think they just wanted to keep it simple, do the basics and hope it worked.

Seems it doesn't matter what you tell them is going on with any kind of car. They just diagnose with the computer and that's it.

They have some serious training to do with the market shift coming.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
It's been at the service department for a week now. No word as the service rep is ghosting me.

Sponsored

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I've noticed a pretty significant improvement overall with mine with the most recent RRT updates and more after shutoff functions taking place that weren't happening before.
What kind of shutoff functions have you noticed?

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
What kind of shutoff functions have you noticed?
One of the big things is the activation of the engine bay fan engaging with the vehicle shut off. This happens after the engine was at oil operating temperatures near 215 running prior to shutdown. Even after long hot runs prior to the updates, it never did this.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I finally heard back from the dealer. A new battery pack is on order. I'm not sure why the sudden failure.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
All the dealerships seem overwhelmed when it comes to their EV techs. I think they just wanted to keep it simple, do the basics and hope it worked.

Seems it doesn't matter what you tell them is going on with any kind of car. They just diagnose with the computer and that's it.

They have some serious training to do with the market shift coming.
Agreed. It’s great that Jeep has been able to to sell a lot of these (recently the top selling plug in hybrid Q1 2022, even beating the RAV4), but it doesn’t appear Jeep has enough trained technicians in the pipeline to support those sales. And this problem will be further exacerbated with more 4xe models, like the 4xe GC.

As far as I can tell, it seems my nearest trusted dealer has one guy fully certified, and may be sharing him at multiple locations, as he is only available for a few days per week on site.

Not to mention, it’s still new technology for Stellantis/FCA - they are still developing best fixes for all of these first generation problems we are running into.
Sponsored