Sponsored

Battery Died, What Battery Should I Buy?

Tlavalle9

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler
My battery recently died on my 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL. Wondering if I should get it replaced by AAA or if I should go to the dealership to get it done. Or, should I purchase one and then bring it somewhere to get it installed (I know I should be able to do it myself, but that's not an option right now).

Wondering what battery I need or should buy? Please advise!

Thanks!
Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Ever thought about Genesis dual battery system? They also have batteries. 😎

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
NAPA has good batteries, they are manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing.

Before you replace the batteries you should, make sure it’s the battery and not the charging system. Probably batteries though, as Jeep batteries suck. If you have an aux battery setup, make sure you replace both.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
My battery recently died on my 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL. Wondering if I should get it replaced by AAA or if I should go to the dealership to get it done. Or, should I purchase one and then bring it somewhere to get it installed (I know I should be able to do it myself, but that's not an option right now).

Thanks!
Don’t use AAA. They’ll most likely install the absolute cheapest battery available. In my experience, Deka batteries (made by East Penn) are a damn good bang for your buck battery. NAPA and O’Reilly both have house brand batteries made by East Penn as well.

That’s an extraordinary waste of money for the vast majority of Jeep owners. Probably north of $1000 plus installation if you don’t DIY.

NAPA has good batteries, they are manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing.

Before you replace the batteries you should, make sure it’s the battery and not the charging system. Probably batteries though, as Jeep batteries suck. If you have an aux battery setup, make sure you replace both.
FWIW, the OEM batteries are by East Penn as well. Or they were anyway. Can’t say for sure now.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If it doesn't have etorque, than it's got 2 12v batteries. Always replace both at the same time. A weaker battery will lean on the stronger one and shorten it's lifespan. It's more cost efficient in the long run when both are replaced at the same time.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M

Thanks!
We have found the 2018 original factory OEM batteries perfectly ok. But then we do the extremely unusual - which is separately smart charge each battery - and separately repair desulfate each battery on a regular basis.

Interestingly the smaller aux battery holds a stronger faster charge than the larger main. Nonetheless always starts first crank and the ESS works almost immediately. There is absolutely no sign the batteries are failing under load tests or normal use.

Pure speculation - but having dissimilar sized amp-hr batteries hooked up and charged by the alternator in parallel all the time - may be causing many batteries to die much faster than expected.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I've had an undercharged aux battery for over a year now. Stop/start doesn't wotk, but it starts every time I need to go somewhere. I can tell the main is getting weak when it sits for a few days. I know I should replace them, but I have this strange pull to want to see how long it will last. Charging system reads between 14.1-14.3 volts on a regular basis, so it's getting close.

I'm considering a larger group Odyssey to replace the main, and a comparable aux replacement.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
If it doesn't have etorque, than it's got 2 12v batteries. Always replace both at the same time. A weaker battery will lean on the stronger one and shorten it's lifespan. It's more cost efficient in the long run when both are replaced at the same time.
Nonsense. Just disconnect the ESS battery. The most rational choice is the largest battery that fits from Costco and plan on replacing it in 3 years.

That's double nonsense. Just disable ESS. I'm getting the Genesis dual battery tray so I can put two identical Costco batteries in parallel with no ESS foolishness involved. That way when my 12K superwinch is pulling 400 amps and the alternator is only putting out 200 amps, I can finish the recovery.

When I build dual battery inverter systems for RV's, I always specify 2 batteries in series. Then when one cell in one battery goes bad, it's only that cell. With parallel batteries, the two are always connected to an active circuit. One bad cell in on battery doesn't take out one cell in the other, I drains all the cells in the good battery. Voltage has to equal out.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Tim,
Looks like most of us big dummies here skipped over the part of your post that says,
(I know I should be able to do it myself, but that's not an option right now).
With that in mind, skip the dealer, skip AAA.

If you can still have someone get it jump started you could have Walmart install one, and cheaper than buying one at the auto parts store.

Your idea of purchasing somewhere and having someone install is an option, although most shops would like you to buy from them. Group size 48 for a 3.6L I think, but have your year , engine, and model info for them
Best of luck.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Go with an H7 (94R), there's a little plastic removeable tab in the battery tray, once you remove it the larger H7/94R fits perfectly. You can pull fuse 42 and remove the negative aux battery lead and just run on the new larger main battery, just need to remember to push the ESS bypass button each time or an ESS bypass w/ a Tazer or similar product.

Go w/ an AGM type battery for longest life and a CCA of 800 and you'll be good to go. Interstate are a good brand as well as the AGM batteries sold at Costco & Sams.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I put an Odyssey 94R in mine.

AGM Automotive Battery (Group 94R) - Odyssey 94R-850

Paid $250 for it locally, almost exactly one year ago. Not sure what they cost with inflation these days. I have a 20a Odyssey charger/maintainer to go with it and have disabled the AUX battery (and ESS).

Edit: price hardly went up: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/automotive-battery-group-94r-odyssey-94r-850

Last edited:

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for that link old guy! Just ordered $255 plus shipping. way better than the $340 on odysseys site.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Thanks for that link old guy! Just ordered $255 plus shipping. way better than the $340 on odysseys site.
Nice. They are local to me, and that battery is the only thing I’ve ever purchased from them. I will be going back, though, because it’s a really neat place. For local pickup they have this huge wall of lockers in the lobby. You go to a kiosk (iPad) and it tells you which one has your stuff. Super clean place with big loading bay for tractor trailers. They must do very high volume.

Anyway, glad it worked out for you!

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So what's the difference between AGM and Standard battery? Sams has the standard for $110 and AGM $184 when its back in stock.
Sponsored