Battery died and stopped in the road

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
If you do the install yourself you can have the Genesis set-up for well under $2000. It is a decent set-up but most do not need it.... You will also need to spend $ on hardware you will use to maintain the 2 beefy batteries.... Again, if you need such a set-up YES... it is decent..
I completely agree with you! I really don't NEED it, it was more of a want. 😇
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I completely agree with you! I really don't NEED it, it was more of a want. 😇
@Spaffy

That's cool.... I get it! .... I got involved with a few high maintenance gals when I was younger... they were no "more then a want"..... It's only money.... ho, ho, ho... and whatever makes your little head hard you tend to pursue

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Geeeez,wonder where you got the idea to do that from ...... ;)
Yours and several other great threads on this forum! :like:

However, I went old school with a simple low tech disconnect.

Sponsored

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
@bigfoot21075

When I was spewing the $2000, that was talking if you have a shop do the install. IF you follow the JL Wrangler forum posts, $2000 +- is about what it costs to have a Genesis set-up installed and using two quality batteries..

While you or I might do this install and have no issues, most guys/gals will pay to have the install done...

OH, I also did not specify/mention that expense included, that you also need to buy pricier charger/maintainer to keep the Genesis and those beefy batteries, maintained...

As for maintaining the Genesis with it's two beefy batteries... go and read at the JL forum...

By the way, I am not knocking the Genesis set-up at all... Nice!.. but not a smart $ wise move for most... as they do not need it....
I was not meaning to come off as an argument, I was just trying to make sure i understand everything before I drop that much money that's all. I APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was not meaning to come off as an argument, I was just trying to make sure i understand everything before I drop that much money that's all. I APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT!
@bigfoot21075

I did not take it that way... Also, I was not trying to come off, that the Genesis set-up is not a really nice set-up... cause it is!

My point was that the Genesis set-up with batteries is pricey and it too, just like the stock dual battery set-up..... can be a pain in the arse... and has a learning curve and has to be maintained.

Anyway, if you can truly benefit from the Genesis setup...., sure it is a terrific way to go... but for most JL/JLU/JT owner's probably not the way to go...

Most would be better off, just learning the in's and out's, about what they have.... and deal with it.... OR, as typical/the norm it seems........just to be oblivious, don't care or take concern about the dual battery set-up and then come here and whine and ask why their ESS warning light is on, etc, etc., etc..... 8-) Oh and go to the dealer for a bandade/short term fix or whatever.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
One of the biggest issues I had with the Genesis dual system was the Cole Hersee solenoid drawing as much power as it does when it’s energized to keep the two batteries connected, it’s a whopping 700 ma and that’s alot of parasitic draw but I tested my battery voltages almost two weeks going from right off a charger to letting it sit 24 hrs and checking and neither battery ever went below 12.55ish

With the Genesis system once parked the batteries are connected as one, actually they are connected 99.9% of the time but if left parked the relay and solenoid draw power to keep them connected then once the main gets to 12.7 +/- .1 then they are disconnected and once you start your Jeep and the main sees 13.2 for a few minutes they go back to being connected.

There was also a concern I had on the IBS being connected to the aux battery because if the aux has a full charge and the main is low the IBS won’t throw the proper charge to the main but again after I did some testing and realized that once the Jeep is started and the main will get a charge and once it sees 13.2 for a few minutes the solenoid gets energized and the batteries get connected and then the voltage between them equalize and the IBS sees this and charges accordingly, one could move the IBS over to the main crank negative with some simple cabling but I chose to leave as it was designed and my batteries have never given me a problem and the smart charging seems to work as designed but I presently have the IBS turned off as I’m doing some voltage testing and so far I have noticed no difference between leaving the alternator throw 14+ volts all the time or have the charge vary, in the long run I doubt it accounts for better fuel mileage .

My last concern was the wear on the Cole Hersee relay and solenoid but after contacting Shane and Mike at Genesis and Cole Hersee they all advised that these components are rated for more time than I will likely have my jeep but even if one or both crap out they are common components that are easily replaced.

As I said the Genesis system is not perfect and is pricy but for me what I got in return was well worth the investment, it’s just cheap insurance and there are less costly options for batteries to off set the cost some and putting it in yourself can save a few bucks to.

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
All I have to add, is that if your paying 9 bills for a Genesis install, please send an email to my son.
I personally was not comfortable pulling the PDC off as with my luck I would have broken one of those connectors so I paid my favorite Offroad shop here in Houston to do the install along with some other work I was having done and I doubt I was even charged $50 to put it in so I came out way ahead but then @TTEChris of Tank Customs goes over the top for customer satisfaction.

Sponsored

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JK Rubicon, '18 JL Rubicon, '21 JT Rubicon
All I have to add, is that if your paying 9 bills for a Genesis install, please send an email to my son.

We advise all our authorized installers that 2 hours is a fair time for labor to install our kit in a stock Jeep. A shop that has done it a few times can get it done in 1 hour. If you already have some aftermarket wiring that needs to be combed out and rerouted to our power and ground bus bars then the shop will add on some time for that.

OP
OP
DeBo3359

DeBo3359

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Rubicon 2009 H-3hummer
If the second battery is replaced with the same battery that’s your main battery, would that do basically the same thing as a genesis system?

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
We advise all our authorized installers that 2 hours is a fair time for labor to install our kit in a stock Jeep. A shop that has done it a few times can get it done in 1 hour. If you already have some aftermarket wiring that needs to be combed out and rerouted to our power and ground bus bars then the shop will add on some time for that.
My 10 year old is not an authorized installer. But I did drink a few beers while I authorized him. Took him 3 plus hours. He is union and only works so fast.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I actually went back thru the install and took everything apart to tidy up some cable routing and I meant to completely remove the ESS negative cable and forgot to, there really is not sense in keeping the cable there as the factory tray gets replaced with the genesis tray so no place for the ESS battery to go as its all part of the main tray and I tossed all of it and gifted the factory batteries away, my OCD has to have things tidy, everything I wash my Jeep ( usually weekly ) I always pop the hood and wipe things off under the hood and while I have the hood up I give everything a once over which includes checking all the cables to ensure all is tight.

My JL seems to be much happier with the additional power from two full size batteries and as I have said I simply love the idea of having a built in jump pack.

I do weekly battery voltage topoffs with either a NOCO 10 or Odyssey 20 and I figure if I just do some simple upkeep on the batteries I will get maximum life from them but I know batteries are expendable and start losing life from day 1 so I have no grand vision of them lasting much over 5 years before they will both need to be replaced.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I have a 2018 JL rubicon. I was having problems with a the bead battery if I hadn’t started it in a day or so. I took it the the dealership and they said to bring it back on Monday. This was Friday afternoon, I was on my way home to clean out all my camping gear I had inside. About a half mile from the dealership just before going up and overpass, the instrument panel lit up and it started missing and then stopped. Luckily I was able to get to the edge of the road before it stopped rolling. Tried to jump it but nothing! Called a tow truck and kept the cables on it changing, nothing no lights no 4 ways nada! Zero power in the system. Got it to the dealership and 5 days later they called and said come pick it up, it’s fixed. The replaced the batteries. I asked what happened and they said no clue looks like the batteries needed to be replaced. They replaced them under warranty. But my question is why did it stop and why couldn’t I jump it and what would I do if I was 50 miles from the closest paved road and no cell service? I just got back from a trip with no cell service and about 30 miles out. Any body have a similar experience?
What does this have to do with a BEV Wrangler?
Sponsored