Battery died and stopped in the road

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
I have a 2018 JL rubicon. I was having problems with a the bead battery if I hadn’t started it in a day or so. I took it the the dealership and they said to bring it back on Monday. This was Friday afternoon, I was on my way home to clean out all my camping gear I had inside. About a half mile from the dealership just before going up and overpass, the instrument panel lit up and it started missing and then stopped. Luckily I was able to get to the edge of the road before it stopped rolling. Tried to jump it but nothing! Called a tow truck and kept the cables on it changing, nothing no lights no 4 ways nada! Zero power in the system. Got it to the dealership and 5 days later they called and said come pick it up, it’s fixed. The replaced the batteries. I asked what happened and they said no clue looks like the batteries needed to be replaced. They replaced them under warranty. But my question is why did it stop and why couldn’t I jump it and what would I do if I was 50 miles from the closest paved road and no cell service? I just got back from a trip with no cell service and about 30 miles out. Any body have a similar experience?
I have owned my JLUR for a bit over two years and had this exact same problem 3 times.. every 6 months or so the batteries just decide to die and leave me stranded with no possible way to jump start it.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I have owned my JLUR for a bit over two years and had this exact same problem 3 times.. every 6 months or so the batteries just decide to die and leave me stranded with no possible way to jump start it.
Have you checked your high capacity fuses yet? This is a symptom of a blown ESS (N3) fuse preventing the aux battery from charging.

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you checked your high capacity fuses yet? This is a symptom of a blown ESS (N3) fuse preventing the aux battery from charging.
if you mean the long thing that mopar calls (Z array fuse) the one on the side on the fuse box.. yes i changed that twice.. everything was done under warranty too

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if you mean the long thing that mopar calls (Z array fuse) the one on the side on the fuse box.. yes i changed that twice.. everything was done under warranty too
Was it verified bad both times?

Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Have you had the update done? I don’t remember the number for it but this is a known issue with the early model years. Early 19’s and all the 18’s. They dealer can do an update so that if the aux battery is dead the vehicle will still start and run but you will get an ESS error message on the evic.
Can someone confirm this information? If the vehicle will still start and operate correctly (minus ESS) with a dead aux battery, this is great news.

I was under the impression that a dead aux battery would result in exactly the situation described by the OP.

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was it verified bad both times?
2 of the 3 times, they said it is the problem (changed both batteries and the z array fuse).. 3rd time they just said it's the Aux battery and they changed that only.

Honestly don't know why this keeps happening and i highly doubt they know as well. i will eventually switch to some kind of dual battery setup after the warranty expires.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 of the 3 times, they said it is the problem (changed both batteries and the z array fuse).. 3rd time they just said it's the Aux battery and they changed that only.

Honestly don't know why this keeps happening and i highly doubt they know as well. i will eventually switch to some kind of dual battery setup after the warranty expires.
This thread is about a possible (likely?) explanation. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...n-and-ess-n3-fuse-warning.66247/#post-1548290

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase

FCA cranked out a big turd on this whole ESS baby battery thing, and the fuse array just adds to the puzzle, lord forbid they make working on this easy.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I had my JL for 2.5 years, batteries are still going strong (knock on the wood). I tend to take good care of my car batteries, usually put them on charger whenever I am not using the car for a while, or whenever I am frequently using them for short trips.
Sponsored