www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
I was watching a YouTube channel, Softroading the West, when I was surprised to see a Rubicon 4xe on a logging road overlanding trip. Well, it turns out he ran over some tree branches and snagged coolant lines on the battery loop. The video shows the super-special expensive coolant streaming out under the jeep, and of course he has nothing to replace it with. So even after they get the line hooked back up, the system is inoperative and refuses to run or start the engine. The other SUVs tow him out to a campground where a tiltback tow truck can haul him to a dealer.

So, now I'm thinking skid plates (like MetalCloak) might be a higher priority.

Food for thought.
Sponsored

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Stranded even though the ICE components are fine. There should be a way to completely disable the electric system and run on ICE for such emergency situations!
As a non-4xe owner, this seems to me like one of those things that Stellantis themselves may be learning and improving upon as they build hybrid products. You want improved fail-safe modes. That seems even more important in a product like a Wrangler.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Al
As a non-4xe owner, this seems to me like one of those things that Stellantis themselves may be learning and improving upon as they build hybrid products. You want improved fail-safe modes. That seems even more important in a product like a Wrangler.
Also a non owner and was under the incorrect impression that you could run ICE only. This should be remedied, with two propulsion systems they should be capable of independent operation should one fail.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I was watching a YouTube channel, Softroading the West, when I was surprised to see a Rubicon 4xe on a logging road overlanding trip. Well, it turns out he ran over some tree branches and snagged coolant lines on the battery loop. The video shows the super-special expensive coolant streaming out under the jeep, and of course he has nothing to replace it with. So even after they get the line hooked back up, the system is inoperative and refuses to run or start the engine. The other SUVs tow him out to a campground where a tiltback tow truck can haul him to a dealer.

So, now I'm thinking skid plates (like MetalCloak) might be a higher priority.

Food for thought.
This is exactly why I will always suggest people get skidplates FIRST.
"Oh, I'm not doing hardcore rock crawling, I'll be fine with my 2" spacer lift and then I can throw 20" Fuels on my Jeep with the money I save"
NO. Even on ICE Jeeps, there are plenty of things that can get damaged and will result in you getting towed out, even on easy trails.
Armor will save you the most where it counts.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I believe the issue is the 4xe doesn't really have independent systems; like the e-torque 2.0L doesn't either.

The issue is the generator is 48V and charges the lithium pack. There is also a 48V to 12V convertor that charges the conventional 12V battery from the lithium pack.

If the 48V battery is in a fault condition then no way to charge the 12V system. So you might be able to start the 2.0L ICE but it won't charge the 12V battery and eventually you will be out of power.

If the coolant loop was repaired and still adequate coolant (water would work) to fill the reservoir and burp the system all you need to do it clear the codes and things will work again. I know by doing this very same thing myself.....

lindaspins

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
The info in the video is really incomplete. Unless we know what codes it threw it's awfully hard to guess what realistic trail repairs might have worked.
The only useful info there is to be more aware of what you're driving over- something that's always been a good trail rule.

GAGT

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4Xe, 19 TM3P, 02 Ford HD, 01 GAGT
The video shows the super-special expensive coolant
If the coolant loop was repaired and still adequate coolant (water would work) to fill the reservoir and burp the system all you need to do it clear the codes and things will work again. I know by doing this very same thing myself.....
Thank you. This part annoyed me that it was mentioned as "super special coolant". Water is coolant by definition ffs.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Thank you. This part annoyed me that it was mentioned as "super special coolant". Water is coolant by definition ffs.
Water will get you home. Then just flush the system and fill with the proper stuff as soon as possible.

Just make sure the water is clean and free from chunks of stuff that could clog the system up. No different then if you blow a radiator hose.

All modern coolant systems are now calling for fancy fluids as they work better and greener; but the old fashioned water will still get you home ;)

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
The 4xe is always a mild hybrid, and never runs ICE only, I also do not think the design can facilitate ICE only operations.

But like some stated, a substitute coolant should be part of the design in case of an emergency.

Sponsored

Brandonhgt

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
Def a good lesson for those of us who only mildly offroad our 4xes. Has me considering skids for our pavement princess sahara now as we take regular trips to in-laws farm and there are many sticks on trail.

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xE Robicon
Al

Also a non owner and was under the incorrect impression that you could run ICE only. This should be remedied, with two propulsion systems they should be capable of independent operation should one fail.
It doesn't have two drive systems though. its always a hybrid in every mode. The P2 MG actually is the torque converter, a large portion of the braking is done by regen systems, it has no alternator because the 12v system is charged by the HV battery, etc. This isnt a software thing or an oversight on Jeeps part. If you cant keep the battery cool the vehicle can't work.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
It doesn't have two drive systems though. its always a hybrid in every mode. The P2 MG actually is the torque converter, a large portion of the braking is done by regen systems, it has no alternator because the 12v system is charged by the HV battery, etc. This isnt a software thing or an oversight on Jeeps part. If you cant keep the battery cool the vehicle can't work.
So I have learned- the ability to get home or at least to a towable spot on the still functional system would be a huge advantage for PHEV’s . I lost a rear end on my CJ5 in the middle of nowhere and had to struggle big time to get to the nearest dirt road accessible to the tow truck with just the front axle once, Stressful Experience.
Sponsored