Sponsored

Battery confusion

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I am confused by the “jeep died” battery issues.
It is my understanding that ALL JEEPS have ESS.

Some with a small auxiliary battery behind the glove box

Also, some Jeeps have the Etorque system which uses the 48v battery mounted under the jeep. Do the E Torque (48v) also have the small auxillary battery?

Lastly, is it the small aux battery system or
the Etorque 48v system people are having issues with. Or both?
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am confused by the “jeep died” battery issues.
It is my understanding that ALL JEEPS have ESS.

Some with a small auxiliary battery behind the glove box

Also, some Jeeps have the Etorque system which uses the 48v battery mounted under the jeep. Do the E Torque (48v) also have the small auxillary battery?

Lastly, is it the small aux battery system or
the Etorque 48v system people are having issues with. Or both?
The 2.0 eTorque does not have the small auxiliary battery. The 48v battery pack is mounted under the Jeep on the driver side (underneath the rear seat area) and covered by a skid plate. The eTorque uses a Belt Start Generator (BSG) and 48v battery packs as part of it's ESS. There is the normal 12v battery on passenger fender but no alternator. When you are stopped with Start/Stop engaged and you take your foot off of brake, the BSG activates and starts the engine again. It is barely noticeable and not at all intrusive. I rather like the start/stop in the eTorque.

On the non-eTorque engines (3.6 and 2020 2.0T, other than Rubicon Recon which comes with the 2.0 eTorque), they are equipped with the traditional starter, alternator, and 12v battery and ESS auxiliary battery (under main battery).

It is my understanding from reading through some threads, it is the non-eTorque ESS auxiliary battery failing and a cause for the issues. I have not read of a problem with the BSG/48v eTorque systems. I'm sure there has been, but the traditional ESS/Aux battery problems are dominating the ESS problem threads.

OP
OP
somedude922

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
The 2.0 eTorque does not have the small auxiliary battery. The 48v battery pack is mounted under the Jeep on the driver side (underneath the rear seat area) and covered by a skid plate. The eTorque uses a Belt Start Generator (BSG) and 48v battery packs as part of it's ESS. There is the normal 12v battery on passenger fender but no alternator. When you are stopped with Start/Stop engaged and you take your foot off of brake, the BSG activates and starts the engine again. It is barely noticeable and not at all intrusive. I rather like the start/stop in the eTorque.

On the non-eTorque engines (3.6 and 2020 2.0T, other than Rubicon Recon which comes with the 2.0 eTorque), they are equipped with the traditional starter, alternator, and 12v battery and ESS auxiliary battery (under main battery).

It is my understanding from reading through some threads, it is the non-eTorque ESS auxiliary battery failing and a cause for the issues. I have not read of a problem with the BSG/48v eTorque systems. I'm sure there has been, but the traditional ESS/Aux battery problems are dominating the ESS problem threads.
Thank you. That was my understanding as well. I have a 2021 on order which will have the 3.6 with Etorque, so, 48v system. Just trying to figure it all out!

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. That was my understanding as well. I have a 2021 on order which will have the 3.6 with Etorque, so, 48v system. Just trying to figure it all out!
No problem! Enjoy your 2021 when it comes in.
Sponsored