Battery Charging with Mopar Flat Tow Harness

dgreen1069

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2003 Ford Excursion, 2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Has anyone added a battery charging system to their Jeep that has the Mopar Flat-Tow harness? I'm looking to add the RVi Towed Battery Charger to my rig and am looking for some insight on anyone who has already done the same.

Does the Mopar harness have the wire for the 12v power coming from the coach? If the wiring is there, where does it terminate? My Jeep is my wife's primary vehicle and I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I figured someone here may have already done this which would save me some time.
Sponsored

huntinjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 2005 TJ, 2946 CJ2A project and 2019 JLUR
Has anyone added a battery charging system to their Jeep that has the Mopar Flat-Tow harness? I'm looking to add the RVi Towed Battery Charger to my rig and am looking for some insight on anyone who has already done the same.

Does the Mopar harness have the wire for the 12v power coming from the coach? If the wiring is there, where does it terminate? My Jeep is my wife's primary vehicle and I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I figured someone here may have already done this which would save me some time.
I have not installed the flat tow wire harness yet, just ordered it today after doing some research. We have flat towed a 19 JLUR closet to 10,000 miles using the harness that you flip the switch and have to cut into the Jeeps harness. We just bought a 20 JLUR and was not going to use the same harness because I did not like cutting into the harness on the last Jeep. We had to add the 12 volt charger to that kit as well and it just plug into the #4 wire on connecting 7 wire harness. Since the Mopar harness dose not have a 12volt charger with it and has the complete 7 wire harness that plugs into the tow rig you just need to figure out what wire is the #4 wire on the Mopar connector on the front bumper. It will either be pin #4 or #8.

I know you ask this question over a month ago so hopefully have figured it out but if not let me know and I can help you when I get mine deliver it a week or so.

B4EAFA13-6785-49DF-97D0-77088F8844AB.jpeg

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
I have not installed the flat tow wire harness yet, just ordered it today after doing some research. We have flat towed a 19 JLUR closet to 10,000 miles using the harness that you flip the switch and have to cut into the Jeeps harness. We just bought a 20 JLUR and was not going to use the same harness because I did not like cutting into the harness on the last Jeep. We had to add the 12 volt charger to that kit as well and it just plug into the #4 wire on connecting 7 wire harness. Since the Mopar harness dose not have a 12volt charger with it and has the complete 7 wire harness that plugs into the tow rig you just need to figure out what wire is the #4 wire on the Mopar connector on the front bumper. It will either be pin #4 or #8.

I know you ask this question over a month ago so hopefully have figured it out but if not let me know and I can help you when I get mine deliver it a week or so.

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Charging with Mopar Flat Tow Harness B4EAFA13-6785-49DF-97D0-77088F8844AB
I am trying to solve the same issue. Umbilical cord that comes with Mopar harness has 7 conductors. Receptacle connector of the harness has only 6. I will have no problem finding 12V conductor on umbilical word or add one if I can find part number for connector and buy male and female pins that goes in it. There are no part numbers on male or female connector on that harness.

huntinjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you post a picture of the pins? I get my wiring stuff at prowireusa.com They have a lot of the pins for different connectors. The expensive part is the crimper. I am thinking about not using the connector that the 7 wire plug goes into and using a standard small round 7 wire plug.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you post a picture of the pins? I get my wiring stuff at prowireusa.com They have a lot of the pins for different connectors. The expensive part is the crimper. I am thinking about not using the connector that the 7 wire plug goes into and using a standard small round 7 wire plug.
Umbilical cable that come with Mopar wire harness has standard 7 pin connector on one end and that plugs into RV 7 pin receiver. On other end is connector with 7 female pins. Connector with 6 male pins Is harness connector you will install on the Jeep. See if you can figure out pin part numbers.

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Charging with Mopar Flat Tow Harness A5B51680-E889-4EF3-A550-27D0DB5D61ED

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Charging with Mopar Flat Tow Harness 70F1D15E-9080-42FE-9B2E-FA11C1611406

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Charging with Mopar Flat Tow Harness 59F0D3D1-EE7D-4F26-91E4-36CEB202E10C

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Charging with Mopar Flat Tow Harness 0FA8CACD-DBDF-45AA-8740-6DFA2A676405

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Charging with Mopar Flat Tow Harness 4E93494A-FFDF-4632-B00E-E0873373AAAB

Last edited:

Sponsored

huntinjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Mopar flat tow harness was just delivered and after looking at it (I have not installed it) it looks like the larger black wire is the power wire (12 volt) that comes from the tow vehicle. This the part of the harness that goes from the Jeep bumper to next to the Jeep battery where the fuses are but in (4 10 amp). This would be the wire that you would tap into to add a battery charger for the Jeep battery. Hope this helps.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Mopar flat tow harness was just delivered and after looking at it (I have not installed it) it looks like the larger black wire is the power wire (12 volt) that comes from the tow vehicle. This the part of the harness that goes from the Jeep bumper to next to the Jeep battery where the fuses are but in (4 10 amp). This would be the wire that you would tap into to add a battery charger for the Jeep battery. Hope this helps.
I want to make sure that I understand what you mean. "This the part of the harness that goes from the Jeep bumper to next to the Jeep battery where the fuses are but in (4 10 amp). ". Black wire from Jeep bumper connector goes to fuse #4 10amp in fuse box next to the battery?

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want to make sure that I understand what you mean. "This the part of the harness that goes from the Jeep bumper to next to the Jeep battery where the fuses are but in (4 10 amp). ". Black wire from Jeep bumper connector goes to fuse #4 10amp in fuse box next to the battery?
Never mind. I understand now. I found picture of the wire harness and see 4 fuse box you are talking about. Thank you.

huntinjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry it took to long to get back to you. I looks like it is the larger black wire through out the complete harness. Even the black/white wire is larger going to the tail lights. That is the one that should have 12 volt power for the battery charger. The nice thing is the fuse box for the harness is mounted right next to the battery so there wont be much wire needed to hook up the charger.

Sponsored

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry it took to long to get back to you. I looks like it is the larger black wire through out the complete harness. Even the black/white wire is larger going to the tail lights. That is the one that should have 12 volt power for the battery charger. The nice thing is the fuse box for the harness is mounted right next to the battery so there wont be much wire needed to hook up the charger.
I got RVi in tow charger and I installed it yesterday. I did tap into black wire in 4 fuse box you mentioned. I used fuse splitter. Had to notch lip of the box lid. It fits pretty good and box is well sealed. Did not have the chance to test it with RV but Jeep connection of RVi is showing correct voltage.

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have read where people say that the 12V wire goes to power the tail lights. Is this correct, or does the tail light wire power the tail lights? It seems that if the 12v wire powered the tail lights they would be on all the time that the key is on in the motorhome.

huntinjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 12 Volt wire powers the relay that switches the tail light for normal driving use or when you are flat towing. There is not a switch for this so that is why the 12 volt wire can be used to hook up a battery charger to charge the Jeep battery when you are flat towing. The tail lights do not use a lot of voltage but if you are using an electric break that will drain your battery so your Jeep will not start when you get to where you are going while flat towing. Also this keep all of the tow vehicles power out of the Jeep power. Hope this makes sense.

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks, that's sort of what I thought. I might get the RVi battery tender even though I have the Airforce One that does not use any jeep power. This should help with a 2018 that likes to drain the batteries.
When I wire the six pin receptacle I assume the taillights go to tail light and the 12v goes to 12v?
Sponsored