Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Folks:

I am no longer in a highrise and I now have a private GARAGE for my 2020 JL. I can now get a battery charger to keep my battery in good condition through Mountain winters.

I drive my Jeep a few times a week… but only about 7k miles per year and apart from a yearly road trip, mostly on short trips of a handful of miles.

anyone have a recommendation for a charger? I think that I might not want a trickle charger as the Jeep doesn’t normally sit for long periods. Rather, I‘m thinking that a “fast” charger may be what I want so that I can hook it up 3 or 4 times a year, top-up and keep rolling.

I have a NOCO “jumper box” right now Based on recommendations from this forum. …. Good brand? Recommend a charger model? Or, is there Something else that you personally use and like That you would recommend?

any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
BatteryMinder.
You don't want to "fast charge" if I take your meaning.
Unless it's REALLY low, a 1500 mA BatteryMinder will not only charge, but will keep the battery up, and desulphate and so on.
I have 3 of them - I keep 'em on my lawn tractor and two cars and am about to order another to put on my JT since it's not getting driven as much lately - and may even put one on my wife's JLU 4xe since the 12v battery in that thing drops fast when sitting and she often drives only once a week, if that.
A good charger will deal with all phases of proper AGM charging and not just toss a big voltage at it shoving in as many amps as it will take.
Doesn't take much more than overnight to run the battery in my wife's JLU from 12.2 up to full with a 1500mA BatteryMinder

These are what I run - and love 'em -
https://www.batteryminders.com/1510-12-volt-maintenance-charger-desfulator-with-warranty

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Thanks for the recommendations, Guys.

anyone have any tips as to where to attach the negative from the charger? Is there a good ground in the engine bay somewhere?

Sponsored

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
There are several threads on this subject, just search and read the forum members as to what they use. A lot of valuable information . I have a GoPro 10 mounted with velcro on top of my fuse box with a plug in on the jeep. I just plug it in when ever it's not being driven.

deznut6

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 2dr Willys, '06 Frontier
Occupation
Retired
on my '24 that I flat tow ....opposite the battery against the "seam" between the inner fender and "hood" is a ground (-) terminal that I attached a ground plate to for the aux brake system...you don't need the ground plate just connect to that "circuit/terminal" - I also use a 10amp NOCO Genius 10 -hth
Jeep Wrangler JL Battery charger for 3.6L ESS SDC18392.JPG

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
BatteryMinder.
You don't want to "fast charge" if I take your meaning.
Unless it's REALLY low, a 1500 mA BatteryMinder will not only charge, but will keep the battery up, and desulphate and so on.
I have 3 of them - I keep 'em on my lawn tractor and two cars and am about to order another to put on my JT since it's not getting driven as much lately - and may even put one on my wife's JLU 4xe since the 12v battery in that thing drops fast when sitting and she often drives only once a week, if that.
A good charger will deal with all phases of proper AGM charging and not just toss a big voltage at it shoving in as many amps as it will take.
Doesn't take much more than overnight to run the battery in my wife's JLU from 12.2 up to full with a 1500mA BatteryMinder

These are what I run - and love 'em -
https://www.batteryminders.com/1510-12-volt-maintenance-charger-desfulator-with-warranty
This is the exact same one I've been using for ~8 years now, on multiple vehicles.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL